Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2020, 01:29 PM   #41
notanlines

Didn't someone earlier say that these posts would come out?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:15 PM   #42
Harried Harry

If you plan on the 10 mpg, you will do okay. Even if you get better mpg you will still have fuel. I want to make a couple points, then tell a story. The latest model (2020) GM trucks still have the DEF filler under the hood; they are not very easy to get to & the orifice is small. As far as I know, the rules for the filler nozzle is fairly set by EPA. The diesel is much larger than the gasoline. Very difficult to get diesel into the gas filler but very easy to get the gas into the diesel filler tube. The latest model Ford, GMC, Chevy, and Ram DEF filler tubes are very small. You do need to pay attention or you'll pour it all over your shoes, especially if you are pouring from a small container.

I've been looking at the late model trucks since my 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 is heavily loaded with my truck camper. I'm very close to my GVWR so I'm debating getting a newer truck with all the sensors to keep me on the straight and narrow.

When I was first married, I moved my new bride from Longmont, CO to Toole, UT. We travelled in my Pinto station wagon and a U-Haul trailer. We took a secondary road (US 287) north out of Longmont up to I-80 headed west. Since my Pinto usually got about 30 mpg I didn't worry about not filling up in Laramie since we were planning to stop in Green River. However, I ran out of fuel even though my bride had been after me to stop and fill up. It was about 10 pm and I could see a fuel station in the distance. I only had to walk a mile or two to get a gallon of gas. We finally got back on the road two hours later, but my wife has never forgotten nor forgiven me for that event 45 years ago. Now when the fuel gauge gets to 1/2, I must fill up! If I don't, it gets real, real cold in the vehicle. I've only run out of fuel one other time, and I was on my way to get diesel for my Buick when it stopped running. Of course, this was back in the early 80's when diesel was only available in truck stops. Oh, the Pinto when towing the U-Haul only got about ten mpg. Weight does make a difference when towing.
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:16 AM   #43
Lymey

Trip calculator

I don’t have a dog in this fight as I don’t have a diesel but I have used the trip calculator on Mapquest to help determine costs. Plug in expected MPG(per other comments) route etc and it will tell you an approximate cost for the route you will be using. Then build in extra for side trips.
Lymey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:47 AM   #44
boagey

Along with Diesel, don’t forget the need for DEF “diesel exhaust fluid”. I buy mine at Walmart and carry a couple of 2.5 gallons of “super tech” when I travel.
boagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:55 AM   #45
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd have to ask this: If the cost of diesel fuel is a "significant factor" in travel, then can you really "afford the trip" ??? Diesel fuel, on most of our trips, has not been a factor in whether we "travel on" or "return to home"...

Granted, the budget for fuel is a consideration, but once on the road, if the deciding factor is whether you're getting 8MPG or 11MPG is how you'll decide to continue, then maybe staying home until next year is a better choice....

It's sort of like the "carbon footprint issue"... If you're going to pay $70K or more for a truck/trailer, what does it really matter if your fuel cost is 22 cents per mile or 27 cents per mile ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:29 PM   #46
Ozzie Cozzies

I have a very similar setup. 2014 SRW RAM Laramie With 36’ fiver. Fuel usage varies vastly on topography, road conditions, but most importantly YOU. Sure if it’s mountainous, you going to chew the juice. But if you are sensible, you can really improve your fuel efficiency. We’ve travelled extensively throughout the US and Canada, awith tens of thousands of miles under our belt. Just think, if you improve your fuel efficiency by 10%, then you basically get 10 full tanks for the price of 9, big savings. Firstly, find your sweet spot speed. Ours is 55mph, and stick to it. Just because the speed limit is 70 doesn’t mean you have to travel at 70. Your consumption will turn to crap. I only have one exception - on high speed interstates, drive slightly faster so as not to annoy other drivers but never over 65mph, the rare occasions. Secondly, only use your cruise control on flat straight (ish) roads and disengage when you know the gearbox is going to change down. This continual revving up and down also greatly effects your fuel consumption. I treat every trip as a test to strive to achieve a fuel consumption of 12mpg. Sure with a head wind over the prairies my consumption crashed to 7mpg, but once I got 14mpg with tail breeze, straight interstate and downhill out of the Carolina’s once. So to answer your question, work on 10mpg to be conservative. (It’s also easier to do the maths - range=10*(3/4)*tank cap =10*3/4*32gal=240 miles or 400km.
2014 RAM 3500 Laramie Crew Cab LB 4x4 SRW

Ozzie Cozzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:49 PM   #47
gearhead

About 2 hours of driving, I start looking for fuel.
I will add that I've been surprised at the areas that there are no stations. I-49 between Shreveport and Natchitoches is barren of fuel.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, mount