Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2020, 05:06 AM   #21
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
You need to change your vocabulary before you destroy your DIESEL engine.

Your TV takes DIESEL, if you got to Oregon and say fill with gas to the attendant you will get gas, not good!

I addition if you think gas, you your self may pump the wrong fuel into the tank.
Which way is it supposed to be "foolproof" because if the different-sized orifice on the tank inlet: gas blocks the diesel nozzle OR diesel blocks the gas nozzle? And which is worse (gas in diesel OR diesel in gas), or they equally as bad?

I'm not yet at that point mentally where I think I would make that mistake, but I know it sneaks up on you.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:36 AM   #22
Brentw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
Which way is it supposed to be "foolproof" because if the different-sized orifice on the tank inlet: gas blocks the diesel nozzle OR diesel blocks the gas nozzle? And which is worse (gas in diesel OR diesel in gas), or they equally as bad?

I'm not yet at that point mentally where I think I would make that mistake, but I know it sneaks up on you.
Ah, first I've ever heard of different sized fill lines, don't believe that to be true, except for the heavy truck fuel nozzles, but I can get one of them in my pick up as well.

Gas in a diesel, worst case. Gets worse if you drive till it stops.
Diesel in a gasser, I'm kinda old school so don't know how injectors would take it but the engine will live. I expect you will smoke and run out of power.

Also agree, stop saying gas, muscle memory can be bad.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:12 AM   #23
Silver_

Yeah, there is no fool proof, unfortunately. I've heard of very experienced diesel guys having a brain fart and pumping a tank full of gasoline into their trucks. Luckily, they caught their mistake before they started and were able to roll the truck out of the way and get the tank drained and cleaned.

Gas in a diesel is worse. The fuel systems on these trucks are $$$$ and run at very high pressures and tolerances. You'll pay thousands to get the lines flushed and pump and injectors replaced. That's why water in an old station tank can grenade your system. I always keep the fuel receipt in a little plastic zipper envelope in the glove box. That way if I have an issue that comes back as bad fuel, I'll be able to prove my last fuel purchase for dispute.
Silver_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:03 AM   #24
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
As I remind my wife, the truck uses fuel called diesel, not gas.
He will not use any gas on the trip. Was this a special math question, I won.
Dang! NO WONDER I ALWAYS RUN OUT OF GAS. I got a diesel. I knew that.... BTW: My 6.0 is tuned nicely and I get 33 mpg when pulling my trailer.... errr I need to go over those numbers again; I got dizzy with John's explanation.

OK, quick question... is the cap on the filler tube on a diesel truck a gas cap or a diesel cap? Never heard anyone call it a diesel cap. Just saying.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:03 AM   #25
travelin texans

As long as we're in the "be careful" "gas or diesel" mode there's one other VERY important thing to watch for, not ALL diesels nozzle handles are green, some green, some yellow & some black.
Some years back my Dad had an older diesel Ford with dual tanks, he pulled up to the pump grabbed the green nozzle & pumped about 10 gallons of "gas" into his tank, fortunately he had another tank to get him to a service facility. It was a bit pricey to have that tank drain & cleaned.
Always double check the pump & which button you've pushed before squeezing the handle.
And if by chance you pump Off Road diesel in your truck, don't sweat it, it's just red dye in normal diesel, it will not harm your truck.
As for averages, mpg figure 10, speed figure 50 mph regardless how fast you're driving & minimum $40 per night at RV parks along with whatever else may rear it's head along he way. If you have to figure closer than that you should probably rethink RV ownership.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:15 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Fords have, since the first DEF engine technology, had the DEF tank fill port located next to the diesel fill port. Some (no idea how many) people have poured DEF into their diesel tank. I suppose "somewhere" someone has pumped diesel into the DEF tank as well....

On GM trucks, the DEF tank fill has been under the hood, not located near the fuel tank fill. Newer GM trucks, I think from about 2018, have located the DEF fill near the diesel fill, so now, there's always a possibility of "intracranial flatulence" causing a problem. No idea where Fiat puts the DEF tank fill on RAM trucks, but I'd suppose there's always a chance, even with RAM.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:35 AM   #27
Pmedic4

Fuel mileage and concern about running out

I was always concerned about running out too. And of course the biggest reason relates to pulling that 65' rig into a fuel station. I was going to call it a Service station until I realized the only service they provide anymore is selling beer, smokes and a potty.

We have a friend, who experienced a health issue, and found he can't drive for 3-4 hours like he use to in the old days. He's scouted out his routes, checking for big rig accessible stations about 100 miles apart, and he tries to stop about every hour and a half, or maybe up to 2 hours between. After listening to him explain it, essentially it becomes embracing the stops, as long as you know the territory and it's access.

I've somewhat adopted that policy too. Makes a much more pleasant trip.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:17 PM   #28
Gary4

I agree with most on weight and mph. I have a Ram 3500 with 6.7 Cummins. I towed a Montana HC 305RL from southwest GA to Moab Utah, 1,970 miles and averaged 12.8 mpg . I never drive over 65 mph.
Gary4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:45 PM   #29
hankaye

hankpage & JRTJH, Howdy;

Thanks for the Welcome Backs, nice to know ya left an impression. Good, Bad or otherwise.
I check-in 1 or 2 times a day, only log on if I feel I can donate a worthwhile
suggestion.

Mostly stay out due to the Changes that happened with ?ownership of the forum, the incorporation of several other forums into the fabric ... all that crap.
So, I just cruise by daily and pull in on occasion. Just know, ... I'm keepin' an eye on y'all.

hank

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:09 PM   #30
Ken / Claudia

I do not know how, but a station attendant filled a diesel pickup truck with gas. I was there minutes after it happened. Safeway station in Oregon City about 3 years ago. I last filled there June 1st and the gas nozzle next to the diesel nozzle is still locked. Cannot beleive the attendant removed the green fuel cap on a 2001? Ford and filled it with gas.
I once watched a diesel Uhaul truck back firing and stall 1 mile from filling with gas, also done by a station attendant on SE 82nd and Sunnyside Rd. near Milwaukie Or. about 15 years ago.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:58 PM   #31
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
hankpage & JRTJH, Howdy;

Just know, ... I'm keepin' an eye on y'all.

hank
I just knew that someone was watching over us. Stay well, The other Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:59 AM   #32
SummitPond

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentw View Post
Ah, first I've ever heard of different sized fill lines, don't believe that to be true, except for the heavy truck fuel nozzles, but I can get one of them in my pick up as well.

Gas in a diesel, worst case. Gets worse if you drive till it stops.
Diesel in a gasser, I'm kinda old school so don't know how injectors would take it but the engine will live. I expect you will smoke and run out of power.

Also agree, stop saying gas, muscle memory can be bad.
Thanks for the info. And dealing with orifice sizes, maybe I'm thinking leaded versus unleaded. Oh well, I guess I am at that point mentally already.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:33 AM   #33
James Davis

Pretty much getting 9 to 10 on average doesn稚 really matter how I drive.
James Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:07 AM   #34
crossdr

How to calculate amount of fuel per trip

I also have a RAM 3500 Laramie with the 6.7 Cummins pulling a 38 ft. Raptor Toy Hauler. I can get as good as 12 mpg and as bad as 7 mpg, depending on weather, traffic, and loading. Let's face it, if you are unfortunate to get stuck because of an accident on the road or possibly road construction, you can sit for awhile getting 0 mpg. I try to regularly top up around the 1/4 tank mark, and I carry an extra five gallons of diesel in the truck box. It has only happened a couple of times but was a blessing each time.
crossdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:09 AM   #35
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the info. And dealing with orifice sizes, maybe I'm thinking leaded versus unleaded. Oh well, I guess I am at that point mentally already.
If you find a leaded fuel pump (not talking Mexico) let us know as that station will be in the Twilight Zone.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:15 AM   #36
falcondan95705

Just Figure 9 mpg to be safe.. You will get better and worse.. but 9 is a safe figure.,
falcondan95705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:37 AM   #37
Sokcap48

What they all said. We have a 2014 Ram DRW, Laramie, SB. Pull a Montana H C 305 RL. 9-11 pretty standard. On the low end in the mountains do a little better else where. I drive 95覧覧覧覧覧覧-less 30
Hurricane, Utah
Sokcap48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:10 AM   #38
skmct

I don't trust handle color any more. After pumping 10 gallons of diesel from a black handled pump into my gas powered hot rod. I smell the nozzle before lifting the handle to start the pump. Unless you have a very bad sense of smell it is very easy to tell what is going to be dispensed from that pump one you pull the trigger.
2014 Montana HC 318 RE
B&W Turn over with companion
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:12 AM   #39
Woodworker

I average 10mpg with my gmc 3500 dually when pulling a 2018Montanna, it's about 15k fully loaded plus apx8k for the truck. Add up the miles, devide by 10, times cost per gallon. Will be real close. I also carry 4 5gal jugs of diesel just in case I get in a bind.
Woodworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:06 AM   #40
61Hawks

I also dont know where you are traveling to or from but from my experience in Canada. I pull a 40 foot 5th wheel with my 3500 ram from Calgary across the Rockies to the west coast of Washington and usually get approx 9 miles per gallon. I have since deleted all the pollution "crap" off my truck and now do the same trip at about 14 to 15 miles per gallon. It was worth every penny for the fuel savings and the increased power. Dont know if you have smog checks where you live but we dont here.
61Hawks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, mount