Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #21
Pull Toy

Definitely "LOCK 'ER UP"!!! Seems like most of the Big Three (plus GMC, Chevy wanna be...LOL ) 2017+ finally got smart. Locking your doors, auto locks your tailgates. Took way too long. The 2016 - are still vulnerable! Any gate should be double checked, as Ford had a recall for fault t.g. locks on their 150.

The fancy tailgates, regardless of who's, bring big bucks on the DARK market. GEEZER Steps, Cameras, Extra Chrome, "Platinum Editions", King Ranch, Power Wagon etc........ They are a sure bet for a thief. Thirty seconds, and gone!

Good Lock,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #22
travelin texans

It'll take a lot more than 30 seconds on mine, they'll need at least a screwdriver & it cost me nothing but a couple minutes to install. Put a hose clamp around the right side hinge, I've done this for the last 15-20 years to every truck I've owned.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:58 PM   #23
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
Let me tell you a story about our tailgate (2015 F350). Stolen when we were in Miamai.
Simple cost and replacement, right? Wrong!
It cost nearly $9000. Yep, just under $9K.
The tailgate had the handle, camera and tri color paint.
My wife figures the NEW tailgates (GM and Ram), when stolen, will cost you/insurance at least $15K.
ROSCOE! $9K is a couple thousand more than I paid for my entire truck. I added a backup camera myself to my license tag and my tailgate is setting under cover in a car port. I have a tailgate that suits my 5ver view just right and cost $139 as I recall:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tailgate.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	23645  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:36 AM   #24
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
Definitely "LOCK 'ER UP"!!! Seems like most of the Big Three (plus GMC, Chevy wanna be...LOL ) 2017+ finally got smart. Locking your doors, auto locks your tailgates. Took way too long. The 2016 - are still vulnerable! Any gate should be double checked, as Ford had a recall for fault t.g. locks on their 150.

The fancy tailgates, regardless of who's, bring big bucks on the DARK market. GEEZER Steps, Cameras, Extra Chrome, "Platinum Editions", King Ranch, Power Wagon etc........ They are a sure bet for a thief. Thirty seconds, and gone!

Good Lock,
I picked up a tailgate lock (fancier than the hose clamp travelin texan did) and also added a pop-n-lock to my tailgate so it locks with the key fob. I know my tailgate is locked if the truck is locked, and if I do forget it is harder for them to steal.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:13 AM   #25
cookinwitdiesel

I believe GM is using Aluminum BODY panels but the truck BED is still steel (or carbon fiber apparently if you have a lot of money to burn). Have to maintain that high road on Ford somehow haha
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:24 AM   #26
allenclme

The multi-function tailgate is standard on the 2020 GMC Denali HD builds. If you go into the configurator, you have to physically delete it to get the standard tailgate.
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:31 AM   #27
pdaniel

I look at some of the shiny baubles that are being incorporated into trucks and ask, is it really utility or just something shiny that may distract from driving.
My 2016 Ram has about what I need, utility wise. Cargo camera, 5th wheel prep, navigation, back-up camera, good sound system and plenty of power.
As they say in the motorcycle world, paint and chrome don't get you home. Yes, you can ride in comfort, probably more than my truck, but, that glitz costs money.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #28
NH_Bulldog

Seems like we got away from the initial comments about the new “invisible trailer” scam from GMC. All it does is tie into a trailer’s rear camera. Certainly not groundbreaking new technology, and can be done on any vehicle today old or new. Just like their 4G LTE “feature” that can’t be taken out of the vehicle and used anywhere but in the vehicle with the power on. For the same monthly cost I can have a portable 4G Mifi hotspot I can use anywhere. More money should be spent on quality, reliability and longevity of the vehicle than these cheap gimmicks the manufacturers seem to think we want
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:49 AM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Seems like we got away from the initial comments about the new “invisible trailer” scam from GMC. All it does is tie into a trailer’s rear camera. Certainly not groundbreaking new technology, and can be done on any vehicle today old or new. Just like their 4G LTE “feature” that can’t be taken out of the vehicle and used anywhere but in the vehicle with the power on. For the same monthly cost I can have a portable 4G Mifi hotspot I can use anywhere. More money should be spent on quality, reliability and longevity of the vehicle than these cheap gimmicks the manufacturers seem to think we want
And this is the same comment I keep hearing about the new "features" in travel trailers. You know, the things that keep breaking, won't allow the A/C to turn on above 100F or the furnace to operate below 40F, automatically selects the correct TV input and allows you to "talk between your tow vehicle and trailer" while driving at 70MPH (on tires rated at 65MPH)....

All this "bling" may sell cars/trucks and trailers, but is it "utility" or "bling" ???

IMHO, far too many "novice buyers" tend to want a trailer that does what their S&B house does, get upset when the trailer rocks when the kids jump off the top bunk, expect "cable quality TV" when in a dry camping environment 100 miles from the nearest TV repeater station, want a frost free refrigerator that operates on solar power and air conditioning that doesn't require shore power and can be run on a generator that doesn't disturb the neighbors and doesn't require special handling when putting it into storage. Yet, they have not begun to understand that Styrofoam floors just won't allow that 8 year old to "jump from the top bunk" without weakening that "rugged 1/8" luan top layer, or that a 38' "sail" behind their half ton or SUV tow vehicle (with built in trailer sway control) isn't going to "cut it" when the wind blows across Kansas and they need to get to Colorado NOW because their vacation is only 10 days and the kids need to see Yellowstone before school starts....

OK, rant off (for now)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #30
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
And this is the same comment I keep hearing about the new "features" in travel trailers. You know, the things that keep breaking, won't allow the A/C to turn on above 100F or the furnace to operate below 40F, automatically selects the correct TV input and allows you to "talk between your tow vehicle and trailer" while driving at 70MPH (on tires rated at 65MPH)....

All this "bling" may sell cars/trucks and trailers, but is it "utility" or "bling" ???

IMHO, far too many "novice buyers" tend to want a trailer that does what their S&B house does, get upset when the trailer rocks when the kids jump off the top bunk, expect "cable quality TV" when in a dry camping environment 100 miles from the nearest TV repeater station, want a frost free refrigerator that operates on solar power and air conditioning that doesn't require shore power and can be run on a generator that doesn't disturb the neighbors and doesn't require special handling when putting it into storage. Yet, they have not begun to understand that Styrofoam floors just won't allow that 8 year old to "jump from the top bunk" without weakening that "rugged 1/8" luan top layer, or that a 38' "sail" behind their half ton or SUV tow vehicle (with built in trailer sway control) isn't going to "cut it" when the wind blows across Kansas and they need to get to Colorado NOW because their vacation is only 10 days and the kids need to see Yellowstone before school starts....

OK, rant off (for now)
Well said John!!
It's not only GM either. I got in a friends new HD Ford & the dash looked like the cockpit of a 747, switches, monitors, plugins, USB ports, knobs, saw everything but the handle to flush when finished. Honestly don't know how he had time to drive.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Well said John!!
It's not only GM either. I got in a friends new HD Ford & the dash looked like the cockpit of a 747, switches, monitors, plugins, USB ports, knobs, saw everything but the handle to flush when finished. Honestly don't know how he had time to drive.
We just bought a new Edge to replace the 2008 Escape that we call "the DWmobile"... The Escape was pretty much a "utility 4WD SUV". The Edge is an upgraded model with everything from front/side radar to steering assist to keep it in the assigned lane with the cruise control on. The cruise automatically slows to accommodate slowing/stopping cars in front as well as speeds up once they speed up.... The headlights "turn with the steering wheel" and as you said, there's enough knobs, twisties, switches and plugs on the dash to make any airplane cockpit blush with envy.....

What happened to trucks from back when they had a manual transmission, big steering wheel (no power steering) and manual windows that you could leave open and rain wouldn't damage the vinyl interior or rubber floor mats. At least the Edge requires you to have a hand on the steering wheel or the "self driving feature" will shut off, unlike the Telsa that's been in the news the last couple of days with the sleeping driver/passenger.

ADDED: speaking of that "handle to flush"... I wonder if the new Keystone RV/GM program to include in-command functionality in the new GM trucks will have that flush handle ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:20 AM   #32
GSain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Seems like we got away from the initial comments about the new “invisible trailer” scam from GMC. All it does is tie into a trailer’s rear camera. Certainly not groundbreaking new technology, and can be done on any vehicle today old or new.
Wondered how it worked. I figured the it had to be a camera mounted on the back of the trailer. It'd be nice when you're having to back by yourself, but I don't see it as a make or break option.
GSain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:24 AM   #33
Northofu1

I don't want anything over an SLE trim package, even then there a few things I don't want that it has.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:11 PM   #34
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

But....my butt sure likes my heated and cooled seats. No more swamp a$$. Tom Brady be damned.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:35 PM   #35
notanlines

I can just hear Chip talking to the old woman who comes in asking about a chapped butt.
“Oh, yeah, you need a large tube of Louisiana Butt Paste for that case of “swamp azz.”
The performance reviews for that 90 day period may sag a bit...��
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:09 PM   #36
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I can just hear Chip talking to the old woman who comes in asking about a chapped butt.
“Oh, yeah, you need a large tube of Louisiana Butt Paste for that case of “swamp azz.”
The performance reviews for that 90 day period may sag a bit...��
Butt....my stand up comedy bookings are over moon. Full moon. [emoji41]

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #37
teacherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Sir, I have to disagree on Ford tailgates. The tailgate on my F250 BENT every time I rolled a 600 lb motorcycle over it to where the bars that allowed the handle to actuate the locks on the sides to open would be bent inside. I don't know how many times I had to take the tailgate apart and bend them back. The tailgate was not "Ford Tough". You are correct about the plastic stuff as it was all junk. The chrome on my grill sort of crinkled up and fell off in places as chrome plating plastic seems an art that Ford never mastered. Of course, the dash cracked as well. All the tabs or retainers that held the dash and doors more or less gave up the ghost and I had to figure out how to keep these components in place by using hardware store fasteners.
Is there a way to release the gate so it folds down such that the ramp rest on the edge of the bed rather than the gate? I can only imagine trying to ride a dresser up a ramp perched on the edge of a tailgate. Seems a safety risk to me. I haven't tried it, but I think the two cables on the gate of my Chevy can be released.

2019 Load Trail 10k payload dump trailer

Bunkhouse trailer to be added soon!
teacherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:09 PM   #38
teacherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
But....my butt sure likes my heated and cooled seats. No more swamp a$$. Tom Brady be damned.
Surprising how quickly these can become "essential" items. I was surprised at how much I like the heated steering wheel. I told myself I'd never use it, but it's nice on old knuckles.

2019 Load Trail 10k payload dump trailer

Bunkhouse trailer to be added soon!
teacherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #39
Local150

Illinois is same issue, that lip on the wheel opening catch all the salt. Also I have heard insurance companies hate the tail gate, as if you damage it its alot of $
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:32 PM   #40
Harried Harry

The more I hear or read about the newer HD trucks, the more I wonder if it would be better for me to just find another 2008 Dodge Ram but in either a 3500 or 4500 model. At least it "should" be cheaper than what I've seen on the market surveys. My Dodge works fine with my Cougar 5'er, but I also use a truck camper and tow a trailer with my Jeep on-board. My truck does ride rough, but it sure has the power to do what I want. The challenge is I'm at the limit on my GVWR and I have not yet figured out the combined total load I plan to have with me.

Heated steering wheels are very nice on arthritic hands! Beats trying to warm up gloves.
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote