Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2019, 10:26 PM   #1
jbrosecity

Avalanche - 2 blk monitor panels and 3 gray?

We just acquired an almost brand new 2019 Keystone Avalanche 382FL 5th Wheel. We are not yet living in it... just setting it up. It has on its monitor panel Blk 1 Blk 2 Gray 1 Gray 2 Gray 3, each with lights for Empty - 1/3 -2/3 - Full

This my first 5er... never had a motorhome with more than 1 gray tank and 1 black and one dump valve for each. The Avalanche has 3 handles in the storage bay right above the sewer dump pipe. I experimented and running a lot of water in the kitchen sink filled up gray 2, I believe it was, and the middle handle dumped that gray tank. I partially filled the black tank from the saniflush connection which registered on Blk 1 and the back or right dump valve handle dumped that Black.

The Avalanche only has a single rear bath. I am wondering if Keystone simply installs the same panel for single and two bath units and my rig will never register anything on Blk 2? Now with the gray, that’s a little more of a mystery. I am going to experiment tomorrow to see which gray tank registers if I run the shower for a while... I am guessing that might be Gray 1 on the monitor panel and may dump with the first (left) pull handle. But then what about Gray 3? Maybe that is there for the laundry if we install a stack washer/dryer which it is plumbed for? That might make sense but then where is the dump valve for THAT tank?

Anyone else solved these mysteries?
www.Wind-seeker.com
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:04 AM   #2
08quadram

My 2019 Bullet's panel shows 2 gray and 2 black tank buttons IIRC, but I only have on of each.
1-wife / 1-dog / 2-kids
08quadram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:32 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Your Avalanche probably uses a "generic status indicator panel" that is designed to work with all the Avalanche models. There are sensors in each tank and only those are connected to the status panel. The remaining "spaces" on the panel are not connected and don't provide any status.

Your RV only has one black tank, but there are several Avalanche models with two toilets, so there would be a black tank for each. Gray tanks "typically" are provided with one for the shower/bath sink and one for the galley sink. Clothes washer waste water is "gray water" but depending on tank location and washer location, may be plumbed into a black tank, a gray tank or directly to the sewer outlet for the trailer (no tank storage for washing machine waste water).

Each model is different, often changing during a model year even for "same models", so do some exploring to determine exactly how yours is plumbed.

From the specifications shown on the Keystone website, your model comes with 4 tanks. A 54 gallon fresh water tank (66 gallons including the 12 gallon water heater capacity), a 44 gallon black tank and a gray capacity of 78 gallons, probably divided equally into two tanks, each holding 39 gallons.

With regard to status panel accuracy, the sensors in each tank are not much more than "4 nails through the plastic wall" and are notorious for false readings after they get "fouled by waste and toilet paper" so don't expect them to be a reliable source for when the tanks are "needing attention". Most RV'ers have learned to either time their dumps (every week/every 4 days, etc) or to "listen to the flushes" as the sounds during flushes will change as the tank fills, so if you pay attention, you'll know by the sounds when your tank needs attention.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:19 PM   #4
jbrosecity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Your Avalanche probably uses a "generic status indicator panel" that is designed to work with all the Avalanche models.
<SNIP>
Thanks very much for the thoughtful reply. Between the time I posted I talked to the guy I bought it from and he really doesn't know much about RV's so I was wondering if he would know the answer. I've owned 4 different motorhomes plus a truck camper in 10 years so I know my way around RV life fairly well at this point, and I had kind of guessed that the panel was a generic one and the two black panels would apply only to rigs which had the bath and half (something we did NOT want for the two of us) and that the extra grey panel would also perhaps apply to certain rigs which included a third grey tank for laundry or something.

Ours is plumbed for stack washer/dryer but we will probably wait to install one until next year. I certainly hope that is is connected to the second grey tank... seems like the most likely scenario. Today I tested the shower and sure enough that goes to the grey tank #1 panel and the third pull handle opens the gate valve on that tank.

So alles gut! Thanks for your input - Happy Camping
www.Wind-seeker.com
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 12:36 PM   #5
ArmyPiper

I would be careful and just look, I was told the same thing on here in another forum and when my sync started overflowing because it was back filled, I actually found out there was a another silver cut off handle I had missed. When I actually called Keystone in asked about my trailer the 365MB, they said no if you're indicator shows 2 or 3 tanks of each comedy and that is what you have. They were able to tell me exactly where the cut offs word for them and of course it was in immediate fix.
ArmyPiper is offline   Reply With Quote