Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2019, 08:22 AM   #21
Mad Cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcondan95705 View Post
If you are going to get a 5th wheel of a larger size, a 3/4 ton will be over weighted... There is not that much room for a heavy load..
That would be true, but the OP is not going doing that from what was stated in his original post. of course what one is actually doing factors into the equation. I use a Class 8 semi truck tractor to move my 53' van trailer and wouldn't consider trying it with my 3/4 ton.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:48 AM   #22
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
And when it comes to pushing snow in the winter, no diesel is going to do any better than the gasser in mine.
How is that? Wouldn't the added weight of the diesel provide better traction?

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:17 AM   #23
Mad Cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
How is that? Wouldn't the added weight of the diesel provide better traction?
Not really. My 2015 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 Z-71 gasser that came prepped for plowing does a fine job of moving snow. It has also done a stellar job of pulling some good size felled trees across my property to be stacked for burning. If I needed more weight, 500 lb of concrete blocks over the back axle for the cost of one Andrew Jackson is more effective than 500 extra lbs of motor over the front axle that costs an additional $5000. When it comes to actually getting the job done, that additional $5000 in motor is just a waste of money. And that gasser will never gel up in cold weather like a diesel can.

I go thru 21,000 gallons of diesel fuel a year already for my other stuff. No need to add to it if I don't need to. I have long since outgrown the oooh aaah factor that some get by just hearing the name "diesel". I get the feeling sometimes that some see diesel as more of a status symbol of some sorts than actually a necessary thing. I have dealt with diesels since the 1960's. I know all the pros and cons there is to know. I don't get fooled by marketing hype and one-upmanship games.

When I need what a diesel has to offer, I buy it. When I don't need it, I don't buy it. The only time I recall getting all gooey and warm fuzzies about diesel was when I was in the Army and we got M113 personnel carriers with diesel engines to replace the gasser units we had. I would much rather be riding on diesel if I get hit than riding on top of gasoline.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:18 AM   #24
BSHGTO

Honey it`s time

Yep it will cost you a few dollars more but not that much. Go buy a minimum of a 350 / 3500 SRW or DRW Diesel. Your plans will change in time and will end up with a much heavier unit and will need to buy another truck at much more than you would have spent now on a big truck to start with. Don`t listen to 150 /1500 truck drivers, living in denial and stuck at their current level. That`s no fun.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:50 AM   #25
larryflew

From what I read on this post I also would not give it even 3 years before a decision is made. In our case it was 2 years before we decided we like it and our lightweight was not enough room for 5 or 6 month trips. Whether you decide not to do RVing at all or decide you really like it the 1 ton is the answer. Pretty much the diesel to me is a non-decision and that means the 1 ton also is a non-decision due to lower payload. For me being a GM guy all my life it became a GMC 3500 Duramax with lots of bells and whistles towing our Alpine 37 footer. Being we rarely camp in summer or do short trip camping and most of our camping is either MN to AZ and stay all winter or MN to MS to etc etc AZ it has been the right decision for us.

GL to your decision and hope you also really like RVing when all is said and done.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:35 AM   #26
Todd727

Goggle 2019 Ford Towing Guide, first hit. Read and understand. Do this for Chevy and Dodge. Make an informed decision.:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...e_r2_Dec21.pdf

The 350 is a much higher rated towing truck for just a little bit more money. I will never understand why people are so afraid of a 1 ton truck and get 3/4 ton trucks as a compromise. The F250 is a great work truck, grocery getter, etc. or light utility trailer truck.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:01 AM   #27
Roscommon48

https://www.chevrolet.com/trucks/sil...hd/specs-trims

If u want info on chevy 2020.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:36 AM   #28
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
The 2020 Silverado sure is fugly though... trying to make it look like a manly truck went a little toooooo far bwhahahha
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #29
Cannonball

only way the 250 makes sense is as a gasser
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #30
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
Not really. My 2015 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 Z-71 gasser that came prepped for plowing does a fine job of moving snow. It has also done a stellar job of pulling some good size felled trees across my property to be stacked for burning. If I needed more weight, 500 lb of concrete blocks over the back axle for the cost of one Andrew Jackson is more effective than 500 extra lbs of motor over the front axle that costs an additional $5000. When it comes to actually getting the job done, that additional $5000 in motor is just a waste of money. And that gasser will never gel up in cold weather like a diesel can.

I go thru 21,000 gallons of diesel fuel a year already for my other stuff. No need to add to it if I don't need to. I have long since outgrown the oooh aaah factor that some get by just hearing the name "diesel". I get the feeling sometimes that some see diesel as more of a status symbol of some sorts than actually a necessary thing. I have dealt with diesels since the 1960's. I know all the pros and cons there is to know. I don't get fooled by marketing hype and one-upmanship games.

When I need what a diesel has to offer, I buy it. When I don't need it, I don't buy it. The only time I recall getting all gooey and warm fuzzies about diesel was when I was in the Army and we got M113 personnel carriers with diesel engines to replace the gasser units we had. I would much rather be riding on diesel if I get hit than riding on top of gasoline.
Interesting. My cousin's use nothing but diesels in their landscaping and snow removal business. (F250's and larger including dump trucks) And my brother uses nothing but diesels on the farm. Four of his trucks have over 300K miles on them.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:01 PM   #31
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The 2020 Silverado sure is fugly though... trying to make it look like a manly truck went a little toooooo far bwhahahha
The Sierra looks much nicer. Not sure if the Chev suffers from trying to look to manly, but it is pretty ugly in my opinion.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote