Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner > In Command Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2021, 12:52 PM   #61
Ky-Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerdad View Post
However I have what might be a wrench thrown in on mine, so I wanted to get your opinions. I'm in the process of buying a new 2021 Cougar 368MBI, and the existing AC unit is a Coleman Mach 15. My question is, since everything in this thread pertains to adding a second Dometic unit to use with the InCommand system, would it work to add a Dometic unit along with the existing Coleman unit, and would everything on here still work? Or would I have to add a Coleman as the second unit and scour the internet to find a new set of instructions?

That would be a lot of $$ to buy all the Dometic parts and then discover it wouldn't work with the existing Coleman unit!
Thanks for any info!
I have a 2021 Cougar 30RKD with the Coleman Mach Air as the main unit. The front bedroom is prepped for the 2nd AC and the In-command has both units listed on the screen. The duct work also continues to the front vent cut out and is taped off when you remove the vent trim.

Next to the junction box in the front ceiling, it has a label that says:

Second AC installation requires Dometic AC with Gateway,
615675 A/C - Gateway- w/Cable
CC-RV-C-20'
511482 A/C -13.5 BTU-Brisk Air II
3 Speed Rotary - White Shroud.

I was also wondering if both units wouldn't normally be the same brand. And, if it comes from the factory with 2 ac units, are they usually the same brand? Someone at a dealer said I would need to change the temperature sensor that is in the front bedroom. I haven't looked into the junction box to see what wires are already there yet.
Ky-Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 01:21 PM   #62
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-Doug View Post
... The duct work also continues to the front vent cut out and is taped off when you remove the vent trim...
In the mean time, while you guys work out the Dometic/Coleman issue. Let me point something out that may help you cool your RVs with the one AC unit that you have.

I debated adding a second AC to our 2020 26RBSWE. Same thing, the front bedroom is pre-wired for it and the InCommand. Never mind why, but I chose to install the deluxe MaxxAir fan.

When I took off and put up the beauty ring I saw the nice, flatly taped racetrack duct way location. I thought it looked airtight and left it alone.

Fast forward to 100-105 degrees in Sun City West AZ and also in Cortez Colorado. I decided to retape the 4 AC registers. In the process of doing that I decided to check and retape the raceway Ducts inside the air conditioner and the pre-wired vent area in bedroom.

Holy cow! The AC was blowing a lot of cold air into the attic area at the AC, and what air did blow into the raceway also dumped into the attic area above the bedroom. I didn't take a lot of pictures, but look at the gaps in these two locations up front. Looking through my pics I don't see any of the area at the AC, but it was just as bad.

After taping up those 4 ends I get a LOT more cold air blowing out the 4 registers. I'm not saying you don't need a 2nd AC, but you may get a sizable gain if your raceways are like mine were. It's worth taking a look.

BTW, we have a rear bathroom. That's the rearward dead-end of the raceway in our floor plan. I took off that vent beauty ring to check the raceway there. It wasn't a pretty tape job, but at least they sealed that one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210701_161047325.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	34461   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210701_161040506.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	34462   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210701_161032657.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	34463   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210701_123236023.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	34464   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210701_123229324.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	34465  

mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 05:16 PM   #63
Ky-Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
In the mean time, while you guys work out the Dometic/Coleman issue. Let me point something out that may help you cool your RVs with the one AC unit that you have.

I debated adding a second AC to our 2020 26RBSWE. Same thing, the front bedroom is pre-wired for it and the InCommand. Never mind why, but I chose to install the deluxe MaxxAir fan....

I've checked the tape in mine, it was a lot better than what your photos are showing. I did take out the center bathroom vent and install a 10 speed Maxxair fan and also cut a new 14x14 vent hole between the 3rd and 4th rafter from the rear and installed a second 10 speed Maxxair. This is centered over the rear kitchen and helps a lot especially when cooking.
Ky-Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 05:23 PM   #64
mikec557

Quote:
I've checked the tape in mine, it was a lot better than what your photos are showing. I did take out the center bathroom vent and install a 10 speed Maxxair fan and also cut a new 14x14 vent hole between the 3rd and 4th rafter from the rear and installed a second 10 speed Maxxair. This is centered over the rear kitchen and helps a lot especially when cooking.
We use the 10 speed MaxxAir in the bedroom to draw in the cool evening air through the bedroom window and doorway that otherwise just won't come in on its own. Love it.

I couldn't believe a factory worker would put a nice smooth layer of tape over the rectangle hole and leave the raceway just lay loose behind it. I'd have to fire my worker if that was his dedication to workmanship.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 05:37 PM   #65
markcee

Quote:

I was also wondering if both units wouldn't normally be the same brand. And, if it comes from the factory with 2 ac units, are they usually the same brand? Someone at a dealer said I would need to change the temperature sensor that is in the front bedroom. I haven't looked into the junction box to see what wires are already there yet.
I believe they are usually the same brand but I think there was a lot of using whatever was available over the last 15 months or so due to all the shortages.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:58 AM   #66
Soonerdad

Okay, I have another update... I've installed the new Dometic unit along with my existing Coleman unit and integrated it with the iN-Command system, and it is *almost* working... The fan works fine and will come on when I turn it on 'fan' using the iN-Command panel, but when I try to turn it to 'cool' the unit just shuts off. My iN-Command control panel shows an error every time I activate the panel - "Dometic AC Error Code E5", and when I look up that code it appears that it is for the freeze sensor, which is plugged into the relay control as stated in the original post. Since everything is brand new, I'm more inclined to think that something else is mis-wired rather than the freeze sensor being bad, but I'll probably buy another one just to make sure. Like Markcee mentioned in one of his posts I also had the extra black/gray wire pair with no plug on it which I left alone as he did, and my power was a pink/white pair like TimeTravel mentioned in his post. I also do not have an end of line terminator plug since my existing unit is a Coleman, which I'm thinking might be an issue as well.

I'm pretty convinced that everything is mostly wired correctly but I have probably missed something, so I'll keep at it and see what I can figure out. If anyone knows where I might be able to purchase one of those end of line terminator plugs let me know, I haven't found one online yet...
Soonerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:22 PM   #67
MEcarey80

[/QUOTE] I'm pretty convinced that everything is mostly wired correctly but I have probably missed something, so I'll keep at it and see what I can figure out. If anyone knows where I might be able to purchase one of those end of line terminator plugs let me know, I haven't found one online yet...[/QUOTE]

I'm up against the same problem with no terminator resistor. Did you try to contact In Command (ASA tech) to see if they can send one? It's a 120 Ohm 1/2 watt 5/% resistor, fyi, so maybe just buying a resistor and "making it work" is the key to this.
MEcarey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:25 AM   #68
jaymason1

I'm also about to install the Dometic brisk 2 as my second with the coleman mach 3 as the one from factory. Would love to see if you get it working properly before I try and purchase relay and gateway for in command hookup.
jaymason1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:36 PM   #69
Soonerdad

It worked!

Okay, I received the new freeze sensor yesterday, hooked everything up today and turned it on and everything works perfectly! I guess I was a little to hasty to blame myself instead of just believing what the error code told me! Everything works like factory, both units Coleman and Dometic are fully integrated with the iN-Command panel controlling both of them, air volume through the vents is great, got it down to 70 when it was 93 outside today.

So many thanks to KC10Chief for his wonderful instructions in the original post, plus the contributions by Carlosgg87, markcee, and many others! Saved me about $1600 from what the dealer was going to charge me, and they weren’t even going to integrate with the iN-Command system!

FYI I still don’t have the end of line resistor plug installed but it doesn’t seem to mind, everything still works great!
Old 07-09-2021, 07:41 AM   #70
Soonerdad

jaymason1, if I had it to do over again I think I might have just gone with the second Coleman unit rather than the Dometic, since they supplied the part numbers for the Coleman unit and parts on the wiring box, and I think it might just be plug and play. I think the Coleman may be a little more expensive, and the Dometic works just fine, but I think the Coleman is a little lower profile on the roof. Definitely not trying to talk you out of using the Dometic, as these instructions make it pretty easy... Good luck with your install!
Old 07-09-2021, 08:05 AM   #71
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerdad View Post
jaymason1, if I had it to do over again I think I might have just gone with the second Coleman unit rather than the Dometic, since they supplied the part numbers for the Coleman unit and parts on the wiring box, and I think it might just be plug and play. I think the Coleman may be a little more expensive, and the Dometic works just fine, but I think the Coleman is a little lower profile on the roof. Definitely not trying to talk you out of using the Dometic, as these instructions make it pretty easy... Good luck with your install!
Sort of like the Youtube video that shows how to install a GM starter on a Chrysler car ??? Yep, it'll fit if you have the right adapters..... And it works, too, so......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 02:54 PM   #72
MEcarey80

End of line terminator

I had a local dealer track down the EOL terminator for those of us that may need it. Part# 599204, $14.84 plus shipping. They had to order it from Keystone. I should have it here in a couple of days, pop it in and see if that makes everything work.
MEcarey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:50 AM   #73
cougarbait

PSA -
The NTSA has published a Keystone Service Bulletin regarding the Dometic Gateways. It relates to the gateways (3316945-020/040) no longer communicating when outside the 40F-100F operating range. The fix is to replace with 3316945-021/041. So if anyone is planning to add a 2nd AC, look for the -021/-041 P/N's to save yourself some headaches.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...53026-9999.pdf
cougarbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:28 PM   #74
cougarbait

I just finished the install last night. Pretty straight forward, the hardest part was getting the unit onto the roof. I went with a 15k since the size is the same and we need all of the cooling help we can get here in Texas Hill Country. Thank you to all of the contributors in this thread!
Old 12-29-2021, 07:40 AM   #75
Tylercougar

Coleman

So I’m wanting add the second unit to my cougar. I know I need a Coleman 13.5k btu ducted unit but I can’t seem to find the part number I need for the gateway box and relay control box. Can some help?
Tylercougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 11:02 AM   #76
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylercougar View Post
So I’m wanting add the second unit to my cougar. I know I need a Coleman 13.5k btu ducted unit but I can’t seem to find the part number I need for the gateway box and relay control box. Can some help?

Go to the user CP tab in the upper left corner and fill out the signature section with all the information about your RV (brand, year, model etc.) along with the same about your tow vehicle. You will get much more accurate answers for your particular situation. You did not state which Coleman A/C you have, In Command or not.....lots of stuff that's required to provide accurate information.

And, Welcome to the Forum!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 03:44 PM   #77
Tylercougar

It has the Coleman Mach 3 15k btu unit in the front now. My camper does have the in command system in it as well. I updated my information on my profile. I have a 2021 keystone cougar 29fkd.
Tylercougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 12:58 PM   #78
stevencina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosgg87 View Post
Sup Guys new to the forum from Tomball TX. Wondering if anyone else has installed their 2nd AC lately? I have allready purchased the Gateway, relay control and mount kit. just looking for a good deal on the actual Dometic AC.

I have read and re read the instructions and seem like I should be able to get it done. Just wondering if anyone has done it and if they ran into any issues that may have not been in the written info above and maybe have pictures or videos?

Thanks!!
I just installed my 2nd AC today, instructions and pictures were fantastic. No problems
stevencina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 06:14 AM   #79
WearyTraveler

These instructions are great. Thank you for posting them. I’m tagging them to revisit when I eventually consider a second air conditioner.#airconditionerCWP
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:41 AM   #80
jayrod718

Need help wiring new gateway to living room AC

Hello! This thread is really close to what I need. I bought a new 2020 Cougar and it came with 2 ACs, however the dealer stole the gateway off the living room unit, so when I first went camping boom no AC. I had a tech come out and he wired the living room with a manual thermostat to get it working. The bedroom AC unit is however working, but uncontrollable as the incommand screen doesn't control anything, I assume because the living room is the master and needs to be hooked up.

I ordered and received the gateway to install in the living room AC but could really really really use a photo of what a working gateway plugged up looks like so I can remove the manual thermostat and add the gateway. Does anyone have a photo of the wired gateway on the living room AC? I would even shoot over some $ if someone can get me a photo.
jayrod718 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner