Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2019, 05:31 AM   #1
bmcvazquez

2019 Cougar Half-Ton Solar Prep Package

Greetings to all,

I am the newest of newbies. I just purchased my first travel trailer, a Cougar Half-Ton 29BHS. It came with the "solar prep" and I would love some guidance on what panels to purchase and any other tips/tricks. Thank you in advance and happy camping to all!

Sincerely,
Jay
bmcvazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:01 AM   #2
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcvazquez View Post
Greetings to all,

I am the newest of newbies. I just purchased my first travel trailer, a Cougar Half-Ton 29BHS. It came with the "solar prep" and I would love some guidance on what panels to purchase and any other tips/tricks. Thank you in advance and happy camping to all!

Sincerely,
Jay
Welcome Jay

Take a close look at the solar connector on your new rig. Unless the earth has shifted, I think you'll find it's a female version of a round plug with two pins, about a half inch in diameter. Trace the two wires coming out of the back and they'll probably go directly to the battery. If this is correct, you can only put a small output panel that will only trickle charge your battery while in storage. Sad, but true.

If you want to do some boondocking, you should consider at least 2-300 watts. Some would suggest more, but your "needs" will dictate this.

How do you prepare camp coffee? Does someone have to use a hairdryer or curling iron? Do you just want to replenish the batteries from using the lights, tv, Blu Ray player, roku, 12v water pump, furnace blower motor? Those answers will help guide our suggestions.

I have twice installed three 100 watt panels systems. I bought Renogy brand panels on Amazon, and I used their charge controller. In each case this has been enough, but I admit we've not had the opportunity to really push it. Regardless, it's easy to add a 4th panel if you plan ahead.

If you wanted a 3-4 panel system, are you able to do the work (assuming your research answered your questions)?

Mike
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:47 AM   #3
HeadShed

The prewired solar are branded to panels like Zamp. Which all come at a premium which makes sense for those who are not a DIY’r but don’t need a system big enough justifying an electrician. The charge controllers are self contained in each panel so it’s plug and play. The biggest issue is usually these are 10 amp rated, which would be a small panel good for recharging a battery for the weekend rv warrior doing some light camping. A single 10 amp line is too small for a typical solar system. Some have thought to do 24v or 48v systems and run it through the prewire to eliminate drilling a hole in the roof. The higher voltage would allow multiple strings of panels to collectively stay under the 10amp max. To do that you would need to cut out the Zamp charge controller and use a 24v or 48v one and then hook up to your battery bank wired for the same 24v or 48v. You can optionally buy an adapter too for the prewire plug so you can hardwire solar panels in from any brand. Pretty much it’s a lot of work around to avoid drilling one of many holes that are required.

imho the best setup starts with a inverter/charger/transfer so that your system can charge the batteries and your needs run off solar and then batteries when solar dies off etc
Old 01-25-2019, 07:46 AM   #4
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcvazquez View Post
Greetings to all,

Sincerely,

Jay
Mine is wired to the battery and only supports up to a 10 amp panel which is about 120 watts. It does use a zamp connector but you can buy the connector separately and use any panel if your handy.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:23 AM   #5
bmcvazquez

Thanks for a great answer!
Old 01-25-2019, 09:24 AM   #6
bmcvazquez

Thank you for the information!
Old 04-11-2019, 05:34 AM   #7
papachaz

great information here, I had the same questions, having just bought the same camper! See that search feature DOES work
papachaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:39 AM   #8
bmcvazquez

People are very helpful here! Good luck.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:22 AM   #9
Canonman

My purpose in adding solar to the Cougar, was to increase the number of days we could stay on-site without hookups. Our 200w Zamp portable offers 10 amps of charging power. We set the portable unit out and leave it out until we're ready to break camp. Our 110v electrical usage is minimal and find that a 750 watt inverter is all we need to run the television, recharge the cell phones miscellaneous batteries and laptop. Total outlay was under $400.
If you are planning to run all your usual 110v accessories then it will be a much more expensive. Larger/more solar panels. Larger/more batteries to store more power. Larger inverter to supply the 110v systems. You'll also need a much more complicated and expensive solar support system i.e. more sophisticated controller and solar to 110v system interface.
We chose to keep ours simple and inexpensive. If you want to go full bore with solar you best have a fully loaded "Buckzooka".
BTW, the limiting factor so far has been the need to empty the black water tank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5090.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	21343  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:53 AM   #10
rlh1957

The prep is roof penetration wiring down to the point where solar charge controller and inverter goes. Some Cougars at least 2019/2020 have the OTG solar prep. This allows three different plugs to be hot from the inverter when connected. The roof connectors and the side portable solar plug are all Zamp. If you put in the Zamp or let the dealer install Zamp... Most will elect to change to solar connectors that are the industry standard and not a Zamp that tries to create a proprietary plug, which is usually wire reverse polarity. The basic Zamp that Keystone planned for gives you a good battery charger. You need 4 to 6 AGM or Lithium batteries to really put out 110V from the inverter and be able to operate for hours or overnight. The stock solar ready cable that Keystone puts in Cougars from the roof isn't very heavy and will need to be upgraded for anything over 500W solar output and that it the top of that gauge cable. At least the cable is there so you so pulling new cable is easier. You can call dealer and get a quote on equipment plus labor.
Also contact another solar installer to see what they can offer. You will have to have your list of what you hope to accomplish and operate with your solar system. It isn't one type fits all.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel Super Duty
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 600AH BattleBorn Lithium Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus Inverter
SoftStartRV on both AC’s - Predator 3500 generator
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:27 AM   #11
Firegod

Thanks for your comments. I have a 24' Cougar with the same 10amp plug on the side. I am looking to do the same thing that you are doing. just be able to recharge my batteries with very limited 110 use. A few computer and phone re-charges. Coffee, microwave, a/c would be on generator.

I have a 90w Zamp. Thinking of going up to 200 w like you. If you had to do it over would you say with Zamp or what brand would you look at?
Firegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:53 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Just a quick comment on ZAMP plugs... A 10 amp plug (at 12 VDC) can carry 120 watts. Plugging a 200 amp solar array into that same 10 amp plug "can" (not will) subject it to overloading. That 200 watt solar panel can produce up to 200 watts. 200 watts at 12 VDC is 16.666 amps... While it may not be an issue, the numbers don't match the ratings in all cases.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:15 PM   #13
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firegod View Post
Thanks for your comments. I have a 24' Cougar with the same 10amp plug on the side. I am looking to do the same thing that you are doing. just be able to recharge my batteries with very limited 110 use. A few computer and phone re-charges. Coffee, microwave, a/c would be on generator.

I have a 90w Zamp. Thinking of going up to 200 w like you. If you had to do it over would you say with Zamp or what brand would you look at?
We've been quite happy with the Zamp. Renogy is another brand we looked at but found the Zamp locally from a private party at a great price. BTW our 200w zamp is fused at 10 amps.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 04:44 AM   #14
KRumm

Note you don’t need to buy the overpriced Zamp solar or plugs (it’s just a standard SAE plug)... but make sure the polarity of your wiring matches the plug... Read more here...

https://dancarrphotography.com/blog/...amp-connector/
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:52 PM   #15
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
The prep is roof penetration wiring down to the point where solar charge controller and inverter goes. Some Cougars at least 2019/2020 have the OTG solar prep. This allows three different plugs to be hot from the inverter when connected. The roof connectors and the side portable solar plug are all Zamp...
RLH1957
But *WHERE* is the solar charge controller supposed to go? I am guessing it may vary by model, but it might also be in the pass-through for all models. Do you have any insight on the location? In particular, I'm working on a 2020 26RBSWE.

Thanks
Mike
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:58 PM   #16
rlh1957

The charge controller, inverter, etc. is up yo the installer. Dome have it inside the pass through on that wall and others mount it inside the front access of a fifth wheel. The Wires coming from the solar panels on the roof go to the charge controller before they connect to the battery. The inverter you want as close to the batteries as possible to limit DC volt and Amp drop between battery bank snd inverter. To keep all solar related equipment close together it is usually Mounted on bulkhead board in pass through which is just the other side if the wall to batteries.

Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 600AH BattleBorn Lithium Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus Inverter
Old 06-14-2020, 09:02 PM   #17
rlh1957

Not going to run a coffee pot on 200 amps. Tell me if you know of one.
Doubtful to have a microwave that properly functions on 200W.

Mostly TV, laptop, usb chargers. Leave hair dryers and stesm iron home.

Old 06-15-2020, 06:02 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Not going to run a coffee pot on 200 amps. Tell me if you know of one.
Doubtful to have a microwave that properly functions on 200W.

Mostly TV, laptop, usb chargers. Leave hair dryers and stesm iron home.
?????

200 AMPS at 120 VAC is 24,000 watts
200 AMPS at 12 VDC is 2,400 watts.

Most modern homes have a main breaker panel with 200 amp breakers rated at 240 VAC (48,000 watts)

Your post comments on running a coffee pot on 200 amps... and a microwave on 200 watts...

You're only considering half of the voltage/amperage/wattage equation. What voltage are you talking about with the coffee pot at 200 amps and what voltage are you talking about with a microwave at 200 watts ??? There's a SIGNIFICANT difference in wattage requirements/output at 120 VAC and 12 VDC..... Which system are you talking about ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:50 AM   #19
rlh1957

Thanks for the correction... You are so correct WATTS. A house has 200 Amp service.
Didn't mean to confuse the OP with their question. 200 Watts just doesn't do much for you.

Tags
cougar, solar