Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2017, 08:40 AM   #1
dcg9381

AC: Coleman Mach 15 leaking out the vent cover in ceiling

I have a Carbon 327 (Toyhauler, 5th wheel). The rear AC unit, above the kitchen "bunk" started aggressive dripping while running recently out of the AC cover in the ceiling.

This was partly due to high humidity and moderately high temps (we've been having hurricanes in the gulf). In retrospect, I had noticed it when new, but we haven't had enough humidity to cause significant condensation/water volume.

Of course, I figured this out at 7pm when my son went to check his bed.

Root cause: Clogs in the drain pan under the evaporator. The drain pan is #24 in this photo:

Fix: I was able to go up, remove the AC cover, remove the evaporator cover (a bunch of sheet metal screws) and run a coat hanger (very carefully) through the drain hole, which is on the driver's side of the drain... Note running a coat hanger through it will "touch" the roof, so don't use something too sharp.

Other root causes seem to be over-tightening of the AC unit to the ceiling, which compresses the seal and brings the drain hole actually into the roof material, effectively blocking the drain.

There are several YouTube videos with this unit where they recommend removing it and drilling out that factory "small" drain hole. I'll get to doing it this way eventually..

FYI - in case anyone else runs into this.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, leak, vent