Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
isym

The Best and the Worst

Hey guys,

What do you think are the BESt and the WORST of your fifth wheel pick?

Cougar 276RLS for me

The Best: Very nice features which looks like a much more expensive unit

The Worst: Fit and finish of all these nice features. But of course, they can be repaired. :-)))
isym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:04 AM   #2
slewis95407

Cougar 326MKS

Best: Large kitchen and bath room (slide out linen closet)

Worst: TV connections (sat cable runs to the bedroom first then to living room via antenna connection, resolved by adding cable and phone inlet box behind entertainment center)

We are fulltimers and have had just a few minor repairs (nothing different than any other rv that we have owned)

Scott

Fulltimer
2011 Cougar 326MKS
1997 F250 Reg. Cab. 7.3L
slewis95407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
Handysam

We can't be happier with our 327 RES. I wish I would've waited for the new decal paint versions of the later 2011's, but thats minor. The only thing, and I do mean ONLY thing that bugs the living heck out of me on this model is the awning. Its a rather small awning and it takes three monkeys and a ladder to adjust the pitch, and even still its not to my liking. I'm in the process of getting this figured out to change out to something different. Fit and finish, in my opinion are good. we looked a looong time before deciding and I'm a carpenter by trade, and very picky at that. I don't care what unit/brand you buy, you will have problems and find things that just aren't perfect. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 05-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
JReinhart

Laredo 321bh 5'er

Best: definately the layout with the kids room up front

Worst: the slideout bike rack on the back. When I bought the unit I thought it could hold my generator, but no. The weight rating is too low (200#). Unfortunately my genny falls under that limit BUT I didn't take into account the spare tire and I actually bent the rack a bit.

Thats the only complaint I have. Other than a couple warranty difficenies it has been great so far.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
azr405

We just picked up our 327 Friday and it is a very nice camper however I would have to agree regarding the awning. Having an electric awning is not one of my favorites. At least with a manual you could set the angle however you like and shed the rain and keep your site dry. Dont think this new one will do that but we will get over it I am very sure of that
azr405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:36 AM   #6
Johnnyfry

Worst feature

Overall we love our 318SAB but the absolute worst "feature" is the fact that the lounge chairs must be piled up on the sofa before closing the sliders.

The chairs are heavy and not that well constructed so I imagine that they will start to self destruct in short order from being flipped over and horsed around on a frequent basis.
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:49 AM   #7
mikell

3640 RL here

Best is the room at the headboard but should have been centered with a stand on both sides

Worst is probably going to be the AC I think it's going to be a problem
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
Paddler

The Best: Everything...3400RL fits us to a tee!
The Worst: Still working so we can't use it as much as we would like to.
Ok, while that is true, it was a bit of a cop out for an answer. So we thought about it some more and ....there isn't a light in the entry way coat closet. Not a major miss mind you but a light fixture in the closet, would have been a good idea. I see a mod coming on.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
camperman

I own a 2009 318 the chairs will fit sideways in front of the stereo. it is tight but nothing rubs and the slides go in fine
camperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
Johnnyfry

Chairs

I am definitely going to give that a try!

Thank you,

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #11
hankaye

Howdy All;

Just bought my first fifthwheel.

PLUS; extra floorspace. Rascal appericates not having to back out while eating or any other activity that took him past the entry in the old TT. It was like livin' in a torpeado tube. Extra storage space.

MINUS; Extra storage space. Where the h*#@ do I put everything. Have to figure what stays in and what goes into the basement...Still have a bunch of head scratchin' left to do. And ... if that's all then I came out smellin' like a rose.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:32 AM   #12
jerseyphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperman View Post
I own a 2009 318 the chairs will fit sideways in front of the stereo. it is tight but nothing rubs and the slides go in fine
I, too, have a 318SAB, and will give that a try. Thanks!!
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #13
Rastatt055

Smile

2009-302frwls
Best: The bedroom and all the storage space. we have empty closets and drawers.
Worst: off gasses from plastic slide out tray under the dinnette seat. I have removed it. My friend told me the sun will help disperse the off gasses. Hopefully it will get better.
Rastatt055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #14
therink

2010 Outback Sydney 329fbh
Best: floorplan, love the rear mstr bedroom and front bunkhouse. Bathroom & shower. Storage. Interior fit and finish (I got a good one). No issues with electrical or plumbing to date. Tows like a dream. Like the looks. Good value for the $ spent.

Worst: undersized 15" D rated tires. Basic dry bolt suspension. Cheesey exterior lower skirting. Seams on filon exterior walls pronounced, rear ladder not fit for climbing. Floor on main level could be more solid. Mattress terrible.

All in all, I give it a 7 out of 10 for a mid price level unit. We have basically had 2 mostly trouble free camping seasons, but I take real good care of it.

Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #15
byrdr1

The MAIN thing that bothers me on this model is the awning. Its a rather small 12ft awning.
Fit and finish, in my opinion are good. we also looked a long time before deciding on the 327RES. We really were going to put a deposit down on 326MKS and this unit was sitting out in front of the 326MKS and this one wasn't there the weekend before. dealer got this unit in on Monday we deposited on it Saturday.
I am used to cooking outside under the awning on the previous 2 TT's. With this 12 ft awning and the basement door under it. I have to set up another tent(ez-up) for my kitchen. It has been a problem. We knew the awning was small but without using it did not realize how small. IF they would have extended the awning lenght to the front scare light. It would be in the ball park. I carry a 4 ft step ladder so I can reach the awning tilt screws.
Overall we are very happy.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #16
antiqfreq

We looked for a year before settling on the floor plan, the weight and the brand.

Best: Love the 2 slides in our 291RLS fiver. Love the floor plan - suits us perfectly. Light weight enough for out F250 to haul it allover the country (and we did last year!)

Worst: Don't like the two rear chairs in the back. Not that comfortable.

I truly love our fiver. Lived it in 6 months before traveling in it one year and no problems. We did upgrade the tires to the MAXXIS E-load. We did add 2 shur-flo fans in it. A few other other minor interior things for ME since we would be living it for 1-2 years.

I have NO complaints!

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #17
hsmunoz

Alpine 3500
best: the space in the unit, woodwork was significantly better than other 5ths in the same price range. the electronics,
-worst: have to say the front jacks scare me everytime I use them. I carry a handfull of 30 amp fuses as they pop one almost every time I use them. very marginal design.
hsmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:27 AM   #18
kenn209

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyphil View Post
I, too, have a 318SAB, and will give that a try. Thanks!!
Thats the way our dealer did it when they closed it up. He actually had no clue what to do with them. Anyway JimW on this forum told me that's how they do it. but putting them between the couch and the stero does work.

Pros: Love the extra space and head room, Love the large shower! A bed with a matteras that doesn't have a split down one side! (we moved up from a Hybird), Love the way it tows over a bumper pull.

Cons: Cheap tires, Small fridge.

We love our Cougar!
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:58 AM   #19
andyrad

2011 Alpine 3450RL

Pros: It has all the options and more than a cameo 36FWS, plus one helluva lot more storage space in the kitchen. The fit and finish does not quite show the love that Carriage may have but the price was a lot better. Al in all a top quality unit. Just did a 6,000 Km road trip through western US and it held up great.

Cons: The swivel rockers they give you in this unit are a pain in the arse. The arms can get get caught up by the slide mouldings when the slides go in and out so pay attention. The refer is fantastic but we've broken two handles already, one trying to change it with the broken one. The hallway up to the bedroom is a bit tight if you're a larger guy. I'm not wide by any means but it could have been designed a bit different or made an inch or two wider. All of these are so minor I would almost not call them cons.

This is truly a home away from home and I can hardly call it camping.
andyrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #20
cnbhand

The best thing was the price, the worst is the weak frame, equalizer, shackles, and nylon bushings in spring holes that wear out at 6k miles. The drawers in bedroom cannot hold more than 10lbs. without bending drawer brackets. The landing gears are not designed for unlevel surfaces and results in shear pins giving way. The slides cannot be stepped on much less used for seating while retracted without bending the roller brackets. The rear bumper is so weak one cannot mount a bike rack, I even took the spare tire off for fear of losing it. The stereo which came with it burned out, and a bolt which holds the floor down backed off and tore a hole in the linoleum in front of the main slide. I have had to adjust the main slide twice as the bolt holding the cone in place keeps backing off causing the bottom of the slide to move out. The under covering holds water when it rains, not sure why but I cut a hole in it to drain the water. This is a 2008 rks292 Cougar, the price wasn't bad.
cnbhand is offline   Reply With Quote