Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2016, 04:49 PM   #1
busterbrown

Hensley Arrow hitch vs new TV

My dilemma. I've owned and pulled my 35 foot Keystone Bullet for 4 months now with relatively good comfort. My Blue OX hitch has done its job for the most part keeping the trailing tracking my TV and minimizing sway events.

But this past Sunday was a completely different story. Crosswinds were greater than 40 mph, driving 200 miles back home from our campground on Lake Michigan. The trailer sway was nearly impossible to control with corrections from my TV. (The sway being A normally 3 hour commute back took 5 hours.

Almost every pull behind that I saw was experiencing the same thing, significant sway. I saw quite a few trailers on the side of the road making adjustments to loads and hitches.

So after saying a 1000 times over to myself on the way home, "I'm buying the biggest motherf'n, heaviest truck I can tomorrow", I analysed the trailer's unsafe behavior and started to research a Hensley hitch. I reached out to them yesterday and spoke with a rep. They told me that I'm the case study they designed the hitch for. Don't know if they are just blowing smoke up my arse, but the engineering seems like it eliminates sway completely.

As I do have a capable vehicle to pull and stop the load, I'm drastically missing the component that prevents sway under extreme conditions. I'm not sure upgrading to a full ton truck will provide a resolve.

I'd rather take a $2,500 to $3,000 hit for an option that will eliminate sway vs a $40-50K hit for an option that may still not correct the problem.

Advice on the performance of these Hensley hitches is greatly appreciated. I was also wondering how cumbersome these Hensley Arrows hitches are to mount and dismount in and out of campgrounds.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:02 PM   #2
rhagfo

All I can say is that is a pretty big sail for that TV. Hensley is a respected hitch for solving sway issues, but the big question is have you been across a set of scales with the new trailer?
Need some weights seems like you have a family of five, that in its self is a lot weight. While the trailer is light it is also long and tall!!! close to 350 sq. ft. of sail area. What did you tow before?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:34 PM   #3
TonyCO

If you are looking at Hensley you might as well check out ProPride as well. I'm not the weight police, but with your family and nothing else in the Yukon and the trailer empty you are probably overweight at least on the rear axle and likely GVWR. Just info, not preaching.
TonyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:44 PM   #4
mwhit

I have a Fuzion 300 Toy Hauler 35 feet long. That is a lot of wall to push in a cross wind. All I can tell you is the Hensley hitch does work, solved my sway issue and the same for my father in law on a past trailer. No smoke blowing by Hensley rep or me. The hitch stays on the trailer same with the spring bars. You have what is called a stinger you place in the receiver of the TV and back to the trailer inserting the other end into the wedge base. Lock in the (2) over center clamp arms, connect safety chains, electrical plug, break away switch and tension the spring bars using a 3/4" socket on a cordless drill, or whatever you use the extend the jacks. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:49 PM   #5
busterbrown

Only cargo in our TV is passengers, a couple child seats and a diaper bag. Everything else is put in the trailer. Trailer weighed 7200 lbs loaded at a scale on our first trip back in April. We have since lessened the load by removing tools, equipment and non-essentials over the past 3 months. I don't have an accurate tongue weight but I'm pretty sure it's above the 10% gross vehicle weight. We did add a couple 40 lb bikes to a bike rack on the rear of the trailer. In turn, I removed the bumper BBQ and repositioned a few heavy items into the front passthrough storage compartment.

In essence, the trailer is lighter now than on our first few trips out. Since installing the hitch and bikes, I do travel with our front mounted fresh water tank about 1/3 full, helping to put weight on the tongue. Filling the tank to full on Sunday may have helped a little but I doubt any significant reduction. The only RV's pulling nicely were the 5ers. I saw the same sway out of all the pull behinds that passed me. Some were going in excess of 70 mph!! That was just seemed crazy to me.

I don't have any reluctancy to purchase a new longer wheel base 3/4 or full ton truck. In fact, I would be nice to have a bed and larger payload capacity. But opting for a new TV, will it actually solve the sway issues on extremely windy days? A colleague I work with (who's been pulling trailers for years) said it's the nature of the beast from a pull behind. He told me a Hensley or Propride hitch is the way to go if you want to keep the same TV and save your knuckles.

Still looking for real world experiences as I'm on the fence.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:11 PM   #6
slow

I tow my shorter 23 RB with a F250 (with electronic sway control) and a ProPride since we make a long annual road trip plus long weekend treks. Twice a year (spring and fall) I pull with a Reese WD hitch w/o mechanical sway control from and to indoor storage. Some would say they are the opposite ends of the hitch spectrum.

I definitely notice a difference with cross winds. With ProPride, I do not notice the wind and can comfortably snack and have a sip of tea as I drive, whereas with the Reese it is noticeable and more comfortable with both hands on the steering wheel, but not white knuckle.

As others have said, a heavier TV with more wheel base should be considered. And if you can pull it off, also get a ProPride for worry free towing.

BTW: hitching and unhitching with the ProPride is quick and entertaining to our campground neighbours. Very simple once understood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:15 PM   #7
CaptnJohn

Yes it will help ~~ but will become an albatross when you upgrade to a heavier TV and 5er in the future. I wish I had bought a F350 long before I did. It would have saved a ton of $$ on TTs, options, an F250 and much else.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:58 PM   #8
RGene7001

40 mph is a very strong wind, in fact it is in the tropical storm range. I would not be towing in such wind. Period. No matter if this is a TT, 5th wheel or MH.
Hensley will likely help with sway but it will not prevent anyone from getting blown of the road or bridge, which can happen even with a loaded 18 wheeler.
My setup is almost fifth wheel stable, I almost never feel passing trucks or moderate winds, but when I came across severe thunderstorm recently I could feel it as well.
Your Yukon Denali is way bigger and heavier than my ML, but long rear overhang, soft suspension and tires kill its stability with TT; and 35 feet of trailer is not a joke. You should optimize your setup, weight distribution and sway control, your tow bar should be as short as possible to minimize rear overhang, tires should be inflated to the maximum pressure according to the sidewall; auto manufacturer's pressure recommendations from the gas tank door is for comfort, not for towing in most cases. Hensley will definitely help with comfort if you can afford it in terms of $$ and extra payload it requires, but eventually everything has its limitation, even the Hensley.
Good luck

Gene.

'13 Passport 2650 BH- traded in
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:05 AM   #9
xcntrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Yes it will help ~~ but will become an albatross when you upgrade to a heavier TV and 5er in the future. I wish I had bought a F350 long before I did. It would have saved a ton of $$ on TTs, options, an F250 and much else.
This!!!

I bought and used a ProPride for 2 seasons. Works great for what it does, but no hitch will make up for an inadequate tow vehicle. Ended up with a 1-ton truck anyway (mostly for the payload aspect) and yanked a 33' trailer around with a ProPride.

2 additional points to consider: first is that the second-hand market for Hensley/Propride is pretty good. The hitch is just as good used as new, easily rebuildable or reconditions, and is a good way to cut the cost in half if you're uncertain how long you'll use the product. So search craigslist for used and monitor as they pop up. Can usually get the whole system from anywhere between 600-900 bucks. Second point is don't rule out a 5th wheel. If you don't like trailer sway, go 5'er and don't look back. The other poster commented on 1-hand driving, I'm constantly blow away by how stable and straight tracking the 5'er load is compared to bumper pull. It's a totally different experience!

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:05 AM   #10
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Put a $50 anti-sway bar on it. Makes a huge difference. Anti-sway bars do what the gimmicky "sway control" features of otherwise good WD systems dream of (not talking about Hensley type hitches).

Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:24 AM   #11
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
Put a $50 anti-sway bar on it. Makes a huge difference. Anti-sway bars do what the gimmicky "sway control" features of otherwise good WD systems dream of (not talking about Hensley type hitches).

I don't know if installing a larger, beefier sway bar to the rear of the TV will make much of a difference in my case. Cross winds will still exert lateral forces on the rear of the trailer inducing sway conditions. It might help a loose TV rear end in a controlled turn but I'd have to be convinced it would severely dampen the sway I experienced last Sunday.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:59 PM   #12
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
I don't know if installing a larger, beefier sway bar to the rear of the TV will make much of a difference in my case. Cross winds will still exert lateral forces on the rear of the trailer inducing sway conditions. It might help a loose TV rear end in a controlled turn but I'd have to be convinced it would severely dampen the sway I experienced last Sunday.

A "larger, beefier one?" Sorry, I didn't realize you already had one.

But yes, it is what they do. They provide a considerable amount of resistance. I have one on a 38 ft TT and the control is significant.

Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:55 PM   #13
busterbrown

I found a re-manufactured Hensley Swift Arrow hitch for about $1100 less than new. Hensley has a 60 day buy back guarantee and will help with installation and initial setup. I will attempt to get it installed tomorrow as our next voyage is in 6 days. I do NOT want a repeat of last Sunday's drive home. My knuckles still hurt.

I'll write a nice update to its performance and ease of use after next week's trip. Hopefully, I can help other members in their quest for safe travels.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:14 PM   #14
TonyCO

Awesome. Thanks and good luck with the hitch and trip!
TonyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:18 AM   #15
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
I found a re-manufactured Hensley Swift Arrow hitch for about $1100 less than new. Hensley has a 60 day buy back guarantee and will help with installation and initial setup. I will attempt to get it installed tomorrow as our next voyage is in 6 days. I do NOT want a repeat of last Sunday's drive home. My knuckles still hurt.

I'll write a nice update to its performance and ease of use after next week's trip. Hopefully, I can help other members in their quest for safe travels.
Hopefully, you never find that much crosswind again.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:28 PM   #16
busterbrown

Just picked up the Hensley SwiftArrow hitch directly from their factory and will be installing later today or tomorrow. It's been a pleasure dealing with the Hensley people. Their rep was very patient with me as I only asked 1001 questions. Great customer service so far. They even have a 24 hour support line in case you need help hitching or unhitching at 3 am on a Sunday morning. Can't wait to get this thing on and make our first trip with it.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:12 PM   #17
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
All I can say is that is a pretty big sail for that TV. Hensley is a respected hitch for solving sway issues, but the big question is have you been across a set of scales with the new trailer?
Need some weights seems like you have a family of five, that in its self is a lot weight. While the trailer is light it is also long and tall!!! close to 350 sq. ft. of sail area. What did you tow before?
Just asking again, been across the scales yet??? Hensley can only fix so much.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:34 AM   #18
capri180

I experienced your situation last Fall. At the time we were towing a 35' TT with new half ton Ram, utilizing an e2 hitch setup. We had everything across the CAT scales and were within limits fully loaded, so we felt we were good to go. Towed all Spring & Summer with no issues whatsoever. However, on the way home from our final camping trip of the season we encountered a lot of wind and horrible sway. The worst came from a crosswind blast...one moment we were in the center of the lane and in the snap of your fingers we were pushed beyond the rumble strips and very near the guard rails. I was shaken, my wife in tears, and we got off the interstate the very next exit to calm our nerves. We made it home without incident but immediately started looking into the Hensley.

Ultimately after tons on online research, we determined that our truck was too light (despite the numbers) and our e2 hitch was inferior. We upgraded to a new 3/4 ton diesel and Reese dual cam hitch assembly. Talk about a night and day difference! No more sway for any reason...wind, tractor trailers passing, going over rough overpasses, etc. Towing the TT became what it should have been all along, a pleasure on our way to pleasant weekends away from reality.

We have since switched over to a 5er and again, what a difference compared to towing the TT even with the dual cam Reese! We are very close to embarking on a 2 week trip to Colorado and I could not imagine travelling over 1500 miles each way with anything other than the 5er.

Good luck with your Hensley and let us know how you make out!
capri180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:43 AM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

IMO you just have too much trailer for too small a vehicle. In fact, I was just looking at a Denali like yours in a parking lot thinking about your initial posts. That is a small vehicle for a 35' trailer. I don't think there is any way you can prevent sway or push with that much "sail" behind you - Hensley or not; particularly in heavy winds.

We upgraded to a 2500 (from a 1500) with an Equalizer hitch and it make a world of difference. In our country (W TX) a 40mph wind is common. With our first setup it would push us and cause sway. That doesn't happen now. Like one poster said, I can now drive with one hand and enjoy the trip no matter what's happening outside. We make a trip to FL every year (about 1300 miles) and it's now an enjoyable adventure vs a white knuckle affair.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:32 PM   #20
busterbrown

I'm going to give this Hensley hitch a chance to see how it holds up for the rest of the season. We have a 400 mile (800 r/t) trek up to the UP of Michigan this week and some small 100 mile trips for the late summer/fall. This week will be the big test going over the Mackinaw bridge. I hope it's windy.

I had the truck out on the interstate 3 days ago after installing the HA for a brief test run. Wow, the truck drove like a tank. It felt like the tow vehicle and trailer became one. I ran it up to 70mph for about 8 miles and I was smiling! 1 finger on the steering wheel was the only thing I needed. The constant minor steering adjustments weren't required.

I can't wait to get it out on the open road with some significant crosswinds and passing big rigs. So far, I'm extremely impressed. I had to make adjustments to the chain length on the spring bars. And no one told me about the "hensley bump"! Always leave the brake controller in B2 mode. Had to make adjustments to the gain on the P3 for the trailer to lead. It scared the "bejesus" out of me when I had the boost off coming to my first stop.

If I can safely run this rig for a few years and enjoy the road, it will have been worth the $2K investment. I would like the biggest "F'in" truck I could afford but it would sit 6 months of the year. In a few years, we'll be in a better position for a full ton truck. Maybe one of the auto manufacturers will reassess the trailer hauling market and bring back a HD SUV (with a diesel).

As far as weights, I'm sure I'm close to capacity on payload with the new hitch, right about 1560 lbs. The trailer is loaded properly and weights in way under the GVW limits. The truck accelerates greats and stops on a dime. If the sway is grossly eliminated, I'll be happy. In a few years, payload will go up, our interests will change (probably look for a toy hauler) and will do what every other RV family does, upgrade!

Thanks for all the comments. I'll have a nice write up of the Hensley after we get back from upper pennisula of Michigan next week. If it's a miserable experience, I have 60 days to return the hitch. I'm hoping its not!