Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2016, 05:48 PM   #1
MOUCHIE

Directv setup?? Confused here

Hi all, first and foremost please excuse my ignorance, I am not well versed in the whole satellite / HD / dish world....

Have a new travel trailer and trying to set up Directv. We currently have a HD DVR (Genie HR44) as our main receiver with 3 Genie Mini's (C41's)in other areas of our house, using a Slimline Dish.

We have an extra Slimline dish from our old house but what exactly do we need to set this up in the camper? Camper has main TV and a 2nd one in outdoor kitchen area.

Calling directv is a waste of time cause of course you get the run around and they want to send out a tech and charge for everything. Know there are "kits" you can buy on Amazon, etc.. that include everything except for the receiver but like I said, we have a dish. Should we just buy the kit and forget the dish we have? Either way, what model receiver do I need and is Directv the only place to get it? Hate to pay their $99 fee for receiver plus the add'l $7/month they charge to "lease" it. Just very confused and can anyone please help. Thanks in advance.
MOUCHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:20 PM   #2
Jgkopp

We just did this and with your reflector dish you will have HD. I had installer come to our house and we ordered a HD DVR I think it was model HS24. Get the RF remote too. Our receiver is Velcroed on wall behind flat screen mounted to large arm. Anyway, explain to installer what you plan on doing. Have him set up the new receiver on one of your existing TV's. I asked him for 45' of cable and he set me up with cable and an amplifier for the other dish. I drove out to our rig and. Set up this new equipment in a remote park 250 miles from our house. I bought a Direct TV tripod for mounting the dish on ground for like $25 or so. Plugged everything in and it did not work. Then I thought to bring cable directly through our door to amp. Then she started to fire up. Turned out Keystone labeled our cable connections backwards. The living rm was the bed rm. hooked up to the right pre wired connection and it worked beautifully. I didn't hook up bed rm TV to sat system as park has a analog cable with snow that shows local out there stuff so bed rm is on this system. I am paying less now because I signed a new two-year contract. Wife is happy.
The RF remote does not need to see the receiver so it works even though our DVR is mounted out of view behind the flat screen TV. You set this remote up using your IR remote menu/system/program remote. Select RF, enter then it asks you to key in some stuff to know you have RF control (radio frequency).
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ElygXOXXGSc
Jgkopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:06 PM   #3
wtxdxer

Your setup sounds the same as mine. Just a couple of questions before I try to describe my setup and what you'll need.

Does your SWM LNB have a single wire or multiple wires coming from it? I think most newer installations use the single wire. Mine is single wire.

Are your Genie Minis wired or wireless? Mine are wired.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:19 PM   #4
HANGAR

You'll need a Slimline dish with a SWM LNB, tripod to mount the dish, power inserter, at least one splitter, your main genie receiver and your genie mini's for extra TV's. See the attached diagram for details. If your Slimline dish does not have a SWM LNB, then you'll need to buy a SWM8 multiswitch. The DirecTV genies need a SWM signal to operate. There is a ton of information online if you search for DirecTV SWM. Good Luck!
Attached Images

HANGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:25 PM   #5
Jgkopp

Installer needed to see the label on the dish so my wife took this photo. It has one cable to rig. The other photo shows it set up. I ran some long lag bolts into the ground. We hooked this up to amplifier and then to the HS24 DVR box. I did not go the genie route like we have at home. This box is just like the ones we used to have before the genie stuff. It can record two-shows at once.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:35 AM   #6
wtxdxer

Here is a PDF of how my Genie HR44 with Genie Mini is hooked up in my 5th wheel.

http://www.n5na.net/download/DirectvRVHookup.pdf

You'll have to figure out how your RV is wired. Do not run the satellite connection through the TV antenna power switch. My trailer has a two port TV connection plate. The lower connection comes in directly from the outside connection. The upper connection goes to the TV antenna power switch. To use the TV antenna there is a short jumper between the two connections on the plate. To use the satellite I just connect to the bottom connection.

I recently added a second two port TV connection plate so I could route the satellite cable directly to the second TV in the bedroom. Otherwise there was no direct connection to the second TV, only the connection from the TV antenna power switch.

I just take my Genie and Genie Mini from home when we go camping.

For me the hardest part of using the satellite was getting the dish aimed. I finally purchased an Orbital Tracker OTM500 used off eBay for about $50. That's the best investment I've made! Makes aiming simple.

Good luck!

Alan
Old 06-14-2016, 03:55 PM   #7
hawkeyestoob

This is all great information for me. We will be switching from cable most likely to Directv through Costco in the next month or so and I love fall camping almost as much as I love college football. If I can get this all figured out without spending thousands of dollars on an entire second set up for the RV this will be perfect!

Have any of you had luck simply asking the installer for a second antennae for using when camping or have you had to buy them separately?
Old 06-14-2016, 04:38 PM   #8
Jgkopp

My daughter had direct and they stopped the service and direct never wanted the dish back, just the dvr box. That is how we obtained our second dish. I am paying less now than before because of signing the two year. They gave us the HS24 dvr box and a free installation.