Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2015, 07:43 PM   #21
Pmedic4

Us too -- or triple that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
X2 To the red!
You don't loose the bed of the TV you gain a Basement in the 5er! I read with dismay those that need two days to a week to pack to go out on a trip. Our 5er is always ready to go at the drop of a hat! ..... install hitch and air up the rear tires. I was eight miles from work to the Storage yard, and house was in between the two.
It used to take us 1-3 hours to load up the truck when we had our TT's (2 different ones), and about 1/3 of the TT passthru storage was taken up by the WD hitch and bars, and was always banging up the door frame taking out and putting in the hitch head. Same as above, we load up the food into the cooler, head to the storage lot. We like the director chairs and a folding table that always seem to bang around inside the TT, and you couldn't move around in the TT, don't worry about that in the 5er.

Biggest disadvantage is the hitch is always in the bed of the truck, but 90% of the time, I can still carry long pieces of lumber or steel without removing the hitch. The TT - it would take 30-40 minutes for setup and hooking up - and unhooking.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:55 AM   #22
Desert185

I think of TV's and trailers as minimums.

TV: 3/4 ton, 4WD, long bed. I would never buy another 1/2 ton, and if/when I buy another TV, it will be at least a 1 ton SRW. Why? See trailer, below.

Trailer: 5th wheel, for all the obvious benefits.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:23 AM   #23
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
Gbarnes, Howdy;

I moved from a TT to a 5er in 2011. Part of my thought process when
making my decision, was where does everything go??? It seemed that
what what I gained in "Basement" storage I lost in closet space inside.

hank
Well we also thought about where we would get extra storage also. Our 1st fiver was older and smaller and the basement wasn't big, and closet space was limited.
When we started looking for a replacement we were looking at storage, mainly for cloths and smaller items. We were looking at spending more time in the 5er. We have an 8' closet across the front with a flat floor side to side and a large chest of drawers at the foot of the bed.

Yes, a bit longer and heaver than yours, but that 8' closet is heaven.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:49 AM   #24
bsmith0404

The large front closets are nice. If you get a 5er with the drop frame the basement storage is HUGE. The newer floor plans are so much nicer than older ones. We still haven't figured out how to use all of the storage space, but on each trip the DW is finding more and more "stuff" to add. Maybe I should let her unpack when we get to our camp sights and repack before going home, maybe then she'd quit adding "stuff". My favorite part is the very large Rubbermaid tote that we keep all of the pots and pans/cooking utensils in. When we set up, the tote comes out of the basement storage and gets set under the 5er. I also set up the camp chef near by and do all of the cooking outside. It's great having room for all of that and not trying to find/sacrifice cabinet space.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:12 AM   #25
chuckster57
Site Team

Got that right. I went from a huge basement to not so huge and since my bed was on a slide I used to have wall to wall mirrored closet.

Been a bit of an adjustment, but I wouldn't consider a TT over a fiver. Like stated before, they make different kinds for different people. As long as we're all camping !!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:30 AM   #26
Javi

The 333MKS is not a drop frame so no huge basement but the basement is still much larger than the front storage on out last TT. We do have a large closet and a storage closet across the front of the 5'er and a chest of drawers at the foot of the bed.

Don't get me wrong, we won't be going back to a bumper pull in this lifetime. Maybe a class A, but defiantly NOT a TT.. But I do miss having that big 8 ft bed to haul BIG items in..