Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2015, 07:53 PM   #1
CO_Mom

Shower wall not secured ??

Hi all,
We're the new owners of a (not as new, LOL) 2007 Keystone Cougar 314BHS. So far we've just slept in the driveway a couple of times, and haven't used any water/plumbing yet. (3 feet of snow a week ago!)

Our model has the corner/angled shower. I noticed that one of the shower walls is "floating" - the plastic "pins" (for lack of a better word) don't seem to have purchase on anything. It might not be that big of a deal, but I can't find replacement pins.

Can anyone provide any advice/leads? Maybe it doesn't matter, but I'm the type to fix all these little details or be driven crazy by them...

Thanks!
CO_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The plastic pins are called blind rivets. Usually come in white or bone color, and should be available at any RV parts dealer.

The pins are normally only used on the edges of the shower wall, so unless the edges are pulling away, the walls are fine.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:28 AM   #3
CO_Mom

Thanks

At least now I know what to look for. Mine actually aren't on the edges - they go right down the middle!! So the whole plastic piece bows a little away from the wall. Probably not a big deal, but I am worried about that much of a gap at the bottom between the wall and tray of the shower - seems like a moisture problem waiting to happen.

I read the other threads about shower fixes - I am guessing there's no 2-sided tape behind my wall. It's pretty loose!
Old 04-24-2015, 04:29 AM   #4
bsmith0404

If the pins have pulled away from the wall, the holes in the wall most likely are enlarged and new pins won't hold either. A good bead of silicone is probably your best, cheapest, and easiest fix.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:32 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

What you're looking for is called a "blind rivet" They come in different sizes so if the current ones aren't holding and you can confirm that the holes are enlarged, just buy the next size larger, drill the shower stall panels to fit the new ones and reinstall. If you can get behind the panels and reapply new double-stick tape, it will go a long way toward helping keep the panels from bowing.

Here are pictures of the blind rivets and plasti-rivets. Don't get the ones with the center pin, they tend to weep water through the center pin and eventually will rot the backing wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BLIND RIVET.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	8432   Click image for larger version

Name:	BLIND RIVET 2.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	8433  
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:11 AM   #6
CO_Mom

Thumbs up

Thanks for the great information. Guess I have today's project cut out for me!!

My husband joked yesterday that we need to find someone older and wiser to "mentor" us on RV ownership.... this forum may be the next best thing.

Jill
Old 04-24-2015, 08:55 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

We have a 14 Cougar High Country with the corner shower. Our blind rivets are located about a foot down from the ceiling and a foot above the shower pan - two in each panel, top and bottom. One has been somewhat loose since we bought it but poses no problem and seems like the panel itself is a little bowed; probably due to the placement of the outside rivet so I leave it alone. The rest are secure but the panels do flex in the middle. You can feel the sticky tape try to adhere but it pops back off. Hasn't been a big issue and i don't worry about it. The shower pan has a lip that extends up at least a half inch under the side walls so I don't worry about it leaking.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote