Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #1
archer75

forward and backwards movement while towing

This is my first time towing anything. Picked up a Hideout 26.5' and tow it with my Nissan Titan.

I'm getting this weird feeling when towing like a water tank is half full and water is sloshing forward and backwards. I do have a Equal-i-zer hitch installed and I got it setup so that the height of the front and rear of my truck hasn't changed all that much when coupled. Just a touch lower.
I'm not getting any side to side sway at all. Just the sensation of moving forwards and backwards.

Any idea what that is? I talked to several people about this and all buy one said they don't know and the one who did experience said it was normal and he drives a Ram 2500.
archer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:24 PM   #2
BirchyBoy

Does it happen all the time or when stopping? Maybe check to make sure your ball is the proper size and is tightened to the proper torque. Also check the two bolts large bolts that go through the ball carrier into the hitch.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:41 PM   #3
archer75

It's all the time. The hitch ball is the correct size. All bolts are as tight as I could get them. I had to borrow some pretty big wrenches to get it done.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:04 PM   #4
NotyetMHCowner

Is it sort of "bucking" when going over imperfections in the road? Or constantly back and forth movement ALL the time?
1998 Coleman Grandview pop-up with slide

Trucks:
2006 Ford F350 CC, SB, DRW, 4x4
1992 Ford F150 SC, SB, 4x4
NotyetMHCowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:09 PM   #5
archer75

It's there most of the time. Doesn't seem to be tied to the road conditions. And it doesn't seem to impact vehicle handling.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:17 PM   #6
NotyetMHCowner

Hopefully you can find someone nearby (maybe on here) that has towed before to take your rig for a test drive and see whats going on. No matter how we try to help, without you ever having towed anything, it will be near impossible to give you comfort that your rig is normal. There are differences in the behavior of a tow vehicle while towing, but I would hate to let it go IF you do have a problem. When I first started towing, things felt funny. But after towing other trailers, I realized that this is just what it feels like and learned what is "normal".

Trucks:
Old 01-26-2015, 05:44 PM   #7
therink

I recommend taking your rig (truck and trailer) loaded as if going camping and weighing at a Cat scale. This will give you a lot of info and confirm that 1) your tongue weight is correct 2) you are not exceeding any limits on the truck.
Once confirmed and weights OK, then you can move to checking adjustments for proper weight distribution and pitch settings. What kind of hitch do you have?
Some jerking motions when towing are normal and more pronounced in shorter wheel base trucks.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:54 PM   #8
archer75

I know I'm not over any weight limits. I have several thousand pounds to go till I get there. It did it empty with 10% tongue weight and slightly loaded(not sure tongue weight). It's an Equal-i-zer hitch. Truck is an 06 Titan crew cab with a short bed.
I towed it home from the dealer configured as best I could with the shank not low enough. After I got the new shank I readjusted everything.
The issue persisted through all of that.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #9
archer75

Wheelbase is 140" if that matters.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:18 PM   #10
gtsum2

Sounds like porpoising. Check all your weights...might not have enough pin weight...should be around 13-15% or so
Old 01-26-2015, 08:35 PM   #11
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
Sounds like porpoising. Check all your weights...might not have enough pin weight...should be around 13-15% or so
I agree, but not sure how he could get more pin weight on this trailer. The only time I felt anything like this was with an old race car trailer, had to move the axle back 2" this trailer should be balanced as long as it's set up level.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:38 AM   #12
NotyetMHCowner

The only problems I have ever had with too little tongue weight was sway. Utility trailers, boats, and camper all would try to sway until I added some tongue weight. In our Rockwood 2603, we would throw our laundry, instant canopy, coolers, etc on the couch (in the front) or on the floor beside it. I didn't even need the sway bar attached most of the time even at highway speeds. But I have never experienced back and forth movement except for going over bumps in the road.

Trucks:
Old 01-27-2015, 05:49 AM   #13
bsmith0404

Same here, but I think we are guessing/reaching that what he is feeling may be a minor sway that feels like a porpoising.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #14
archer75

It must be tongue weight then. 10% must not be enough. I've gone over my measurements and configuration for the WD hitch setup and it is spot on. The front of the truck is about 1/8 of an inch above the unloaded measurement. The rear is less than an inch lower with WD than unloaded. And the trailer sits perfectly level with WD versus without it but coupled.

But there's only so much weight I can add to the front of the trailer. And if the fresh water tank is full I couldn't possibly add enough weight to the tongue to compensate.

My truck does have the Blistein shocks in the rear i've seen people recommend.

It doesn't feel like i'm bouncing up and down but rather rocking forwards and back. At any speed. 25mph in neighborhoods or 45mph on some of the other streets. Same feeling. No more, no less.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:16 PM   #15
Ken / Claudia

Now that your have ruled out equipment loose. Go over a scale and gets axle wts. of truck without trailer and together. I would even get one with fresh water tank full and one empty. If you do not know how or where to check it free at a OR DOT scale I can help. Until you weigh in your guessing at what the hitch wt and each axle really weighs.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:19 PM   #16
therink

Question: When you determined your tongue weight was 10 ppercent, is the trailer all loaded up as if ready for camping trip? Food, clothing, toys, etc. You shouldn't have to fill your water tank to achieve 13 percent.
I once had a 33' TT that was rear heavy and my problem was sway. I ended up getting rid of it because no matter what I did, the sway dynamic was unbearable. It was a matter of poor trailer design.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:22 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

I've been reading this thread for the past couple of days and really haven't seen anything that would indicate the problem or any hints on what may be a problem. But based on the most recent comment by Archer75, I started thinking about the "what if" kind of problems....

First, there was a recall on the Lippert Correctrac system. http://www.keystonerv.com/media/1778...rack_-_web.pdf The trailer in question may have issues with the suspension system. We recently had one member who towed his trailer home, felt some "strange swaying" and when he inspected his trailer, found that the Correctrac system was completely missing the center bolt/alignment component and his suspension was "floating under the chassis" rather than being connected.

We have had a couple of members who received their new trailer with missing spring shackles as well as damaged/bent axles or spring hangers.

You might want to spend some time on a creeper with a good flashlight and just look everything over very carefully. I'm hoping you won't find anything, but with the "pushing/pulling" you describe, you may have a "loose axle" under the trailer or a damaged component that's causing the problem.

Also, keep in mind that the "normal" tongue weight is between 10-15% of the trailer weight. Your trailer specs from Keystone indicate the trailer weighs 4520 empty (shipping weight) with an empty tongue weight of 420 pounds. That's 9% of the shipping weight, so your trailer comes from the factory with a very light tongue weight as compared to the total weight. It shouldn't be necessary for your RV, but on some conventional toy haulers, we have had members who loaded sand bags under the front bed in order to get sufficient tongue weight to offset their toys in the garage. As I said, you shouldn't have to resort to that drastic measure, but if there's no damage to the suspension and no damage to the chassis, I would consider shifting as much weight forward as possible and towing again to see if possibly there is some improvement.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:45 PM   #18
archer75

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I did check the link you posted for the correcttrac system and mine is ok. In the morning i'll get under it and look at the suspension.

I do have some sandbags I can throw in the front to test but I don't know when i'll get a chance to do that.

I'll post updates.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:31 PM   #19
theeyres

My best guess is also that there isn't enough tongue weight. The only other thing would be if the Titan just isn't heavy enough to handle the tongue weight so even though the Equal-i-zer is adjusted properly every bounce compresses the too light rear springs on the Titan. Air bags? Maybe. Pure guessing here.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:37 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
My best guess is also that there isn't enough tongue weight. The only other thing would be if the Titan just isn't heavy enough to handle the tongue weight so even though the Equal-i-zer is adjusted properly every bounce compresses the too light rear springs on the Titan. Air bags? Maybe. Pure guessing here.
Along with these, possibly the P series tires are inducing more side roll and causing the sensation? There are so many possibilities with no way for any of us to "climb under" the rig and see anything.....

From what I've read, it seems that the OP is saying his tongue weight is at 10%, but I still haven't determined how he made that assessment. Is it from an estimate? or has he weighed the trailer and determined exactly what it weighs and how much the tongue weighs? Realistically, the only "reliable" way to know is to put the trailer on a scale and look at the readings on the scale......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote