Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #1
C2bb59

Gas water Heater Problem

I have a 2008 Keystone Cougar 29' 5th Wheel. We took it camping for 2 weeks in August and there were no problems at all. I have moved it to Utah because I have to live in it for the winter. The water heater (suburban SW6D I believe) will not work. It seems like it tries to. When I turn on the water, it at first feels a bit warm, but no hot water will come out. I have gone out and checked all of the connections. This is the kind that once the gas is on and the switch is turned on, once I turn on the heater switch inside the trailer, it usually lights and begins to heat up the water immediately. I pushed on the overflow valve and hot water comes out of it, but inside of the trailer I will only get lukewarm water sometimes. I can't hear the flame come on at all. I am not very mechanically inclined and I have no one to help me troubleshoot it. I have done everything in the manual, and we just had it in the shop before coming down a week ago and it was working fine. I actually just heard the gas start but I still can't get any hot water out. There is gas in the line. The furnace works fine, as does the stove. But I can't figure out anything else to try to see why the hot water heater won't work. Any suggestions that won't kill me financially?
C2bb59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

A couple questions:

When you turn on the hot water at the faucet, is there good flow just not hot?

Are you hooked up to a pressurized water source, or using the water pump?

If you have good flow but not hot, then you need to find the backside of the HWH and see if maybe the bypass valve is turned "on" or partially turned. You may have to remove a panel inside the trailer to access the back.

If you have very low flow, then chances are the check valve at the out of the tank has taken a nose dive.

Do you have good pressure on the COLD side? If not then you will need to troubleshoot that.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:21 PM   #3
scott24

Sounds like a closed bypass......
Old 11-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
scott24

Someone a while back had the same issue. They found something with the shower causing this. Go on youtube and type on water heater problems. I think the issue posted earlier was on youtube.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:18 AM   #5
Larry1013

go to all points around the trailer...specially the outside shower and check to see if any are are turned on. When the outside shower is turned on and the water is stopped at the shower heard, you get water circulating through that point and tends to reduce hot water to other points that have a hot water connection

Also check the water heater by-pass. Should be located in the plumbing near the back side of the heater. Usually closed when you do winter flushing.

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote