Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
jwmontana

Water pump stopped working

I have owned a 2013 Montana 3402rl for 10 months and am planning on taking my first trip. After filling and flushing the tanks, the water pump stopped working, no sound at all. I have checked every fuse and CB, no luck. Does anyone know where the water pump is located. The 5th wheel is still under warranty but my vacation is about to be ruined.
jwmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:18 PM   #2
Ron

The water pump on your trailer is probably located in the basement compartment behind the removable panel to the left if you enter from the curb side. There will be several screws to remove hidden in the carpet material if it like ours, good luck and enjoy your trip.....Happy Campin
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
Jager

I mean no disrespect but you are aware that there is a switch on the control panel that turns it off right? Also the water pump works off from 12v dc so you either must have shore power to get the inverter working and generating 12v or you must have good batteries in the camper. Also, most campers have a 12v DC cut off switch which would kill your water pump. You've checked all those things?

I'm sure you know all this but just wanted to make sure.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
you either must have shore power to get the inverter working and generating 12v
You mean CONVERTER right? an inverter makes 110VAC from 12VDC. a converter makes 12VDC from 110VAC.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
shufflesf15

Assuming you've checked the things already mentioned and you're not plugged in to shore power, it could be that your battery or batteries are a little weak. I find when I'm dry camping the water pump is the first thing to go as the batteries are drained and it means it's time to get out the generator. I think the water pump I have has a relay which disconnects it at a fairly high voltage. Once the voltage is brought back up the water pump returns.
shufflesf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:02 PM   #6
jwmontana

Thanks,
I found it in the basement directly behind the water hook ups. It is enclosed by the large white plastic partition on the rear side of the basement.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:17 PM   #7
jwmontana

Yes,
There is 13+ volts all the way to the pump. It just died, haven't even spent a night in the RV yet. I removed the pump took it apart and it was a switch inside the sealed motor, it just died. I ordered a new one and am paying out of pocket and using my own labor as the wait for the warranty work was at least 7 to 10 days. $70 out of pocket and 2 hours of my time was worth it even though I have not used the Montana 3402 one night and still have 2 months left on the warranty. I read many forums before buying a Keystone product and the comments on customer service were mostly poor. Every experience that I have had with customer service so far confirms this. I bought this new in Modesto CA and the check out was so bad that my wife and I could figure out how things worked before the people checking us out could. I picked it up and never having pulled a fifth wheel before, I asked for some advice. There was none. I was on my own, luckily I had done some reading prior. I asked the factory about the best way to roof mount a satellite antenna and all they would say is that it would void the warranty. I asked what powered the brakes and they said read the information that came with the RV. I would not ever recommend Keystone to anyone and I have yet to spend my first night in the 3402rl.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:42 AM   #8
GaryWT

Good luck with the fix and sorry your dealer knows so little about the product they sell. It always come down to finding a good dealer.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

jwmontana,

I agree completely with GaryWT. I have nothing but good to say about both the Camping World in Houghton Lake, MI (where I bought my first Keystone) and Brewbaker's RV in Onaway (where I bought my second Keystone). In fact, when we had an issue with the remote control on our Cougar, the owner at Brewbaker's told me to bring it in that day (Saturday) and they would wait until I got there. I suggested that we wait until Monday and I could stop by on my way home. He agreed and when I drove up, he had a service tech with a tool bag walking out to the trailer as I was walking into the dealership. Every question I've had has been answered completely by people who are knowledgeable of Keystone's products.

As for CW in Houghton Lake, we had a problem with the refrigerator. It stopped cooling. I called, made an appointment for Thursday of the same week. They diagnosed the problem, determined I needed a new cooling unit. They had one overnighted in and installed it on Friday. Kept it over the weekend to make sure it worked properly, and I picked it up on Monday. They also answered any questions I had and gave me some great advice when I was unsure of anything dealing with the trailer, towing or setting up/camping.

Every phone call I've made to Keystone in Goshen has been met with friendly answers and if the CS rep didn't have the answer, he/she promised to find the answer and call me back. The longest I have ever waited for an answer was 2 days.

When my wife and I visited the factory for a tour of the Cougar facility/assembly line, the CS rep that I had talked to several times remembered my name and we chatted for several minutes before the tour started. When I told her that it was nice to finally put a face to a name, she smiled and said that she felt the same way.

While you may have some issues with being able to get information or repairs, it seems that the majority of your problems stem from the dealership, not from Keystone. Maybe next time, look for a different dealership, no matter what brand of RV you decide to "decorate your driveway with".

After owning your Montana for ten months and never sleeping in it, hopefully, once you get to spend a night in your RV (rather than fuss about it) you'll find that it really is a "joy to own" and can bring loads of "refreshing time away from home."

Hopefully you'll change your mind once you do spend a night in it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #10
kellydog98

My grandfather and my father pushed this into my mind so long ago. LET THE BUYER BEWARE! When I get the itch to buy a boat, RV, gun, truck...etc, the statment is where I begin. Sales people want to make a sale. It was always up to me to educate myself to make the best buy possible. I've traveled as far as from Missouri to Kentucky to buy the RV I thought was best for me and my family. I also know that if something went wrong with it I would be the best repairman for the job. After I chose a Keystone product a became a part of there marketing plan also. I could either talk about how great it was or how it sucked. I choose to go with my original thought that I wanted a Keystone product and I know I will keep it up as needed. Now, if I bought a dog and it was diagnosed with cancer the next month who do I blame? I will hold Keystone responsible for their warranty as far as it goes and I will expect good service from a warranty dealer. But you will not find me talking down Keystone product because I did alot of reasearch to come to the decision to choose them. Saying they are bad also says that all the work I did in my reasearch was for nothing and I must not be as smart as I thought I was. It's understandable to be disappointed, but it's also a great learning curve. Hope it all gets better and you can really enjoy your rig.

kellydog98 is offline   Reply With Quote