Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2014, 01:46 AM   #1
navyav8tr

Backup Camera

After some researching I am considering installing a backup camera on m 2013 Fuzion. Was wondering if anyone had any direct experience with the Taddi Brothers wireless backup systems?

http://www.tadibrothers.com/Products...cts/RVSystems?

Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

2013 Fuzion 390
2013 Ford F-350
2006 EZ-GO PDS with Lift

Retired US Navy S-3B Viking and F/A-18C Hornet Pilot
F/A-18 Hornet and Super Hornet Simulator Instructor

navyav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:10 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Interested to hear thoughts on this as well. Right now I have the DW stand behind with the phone and guide me back over the Bluetooth in the truck. I love her, but sometimes I think it'd be easier to just stop, walk back and check it out, back a bit further, stop, walk back and check it out....you get the idea. If I wasn't afraid of getting kicked or something I'd pull out the tape measure and go through a training class of, this is 3', this is 10', etc.....

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:34 AM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Interested to hear thoughts on this as well. Right now I have the DW stand behind with the phone and guide me back over the Bluetooth in the truck. I love her, but sometimes I think it'd be easier to just stop, walk back and check it out, back a bit further, stop, walk back and check it out....you get the idea. If I wasn't afraid of getting kicked or something I'd pull out the tape measure and go through a training class of, this is 3', this is 10', etc.....
X2 ....

Need to change signature picture to show new 3500

Tried Magellan backup wireless with no hope maybe 10' range
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:03 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

If you do a forum search on "backup camera" you will come across some threads that were submitted by members who have installed this device. If I remember correctly, the posts deal with a hard-wired system as opposed to a wireless one and I can't recall the brand of camera that was used.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
So Cal CPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyav8tr View Post
After some researching I am considering installing a backup camera on m 2013 Fuzion. Was wondering if anyone had any direct experience with the Taddi Brothers wireless backup systems?

http://www.tadibrothers.com/Products...cts/RVSystems?

Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated.
I have a camera setup from Tadi Brothers. Back story - my dad bought the wireless setup for his 30+ foot 5th wheel. He was not happy with it. He sent it back and they gave him a new unit. However, in the meantime he simply took his old wired camera and put it on instead. He gave me his Tadi Brothers camera.

I don't have any experience with any other cameras but because of my dad's complaints about the wireless from Tadi Brothers I decided to do something different. My trailer is 32' and my dad's is 35'. Rather than attempt the wireless signal from the back of my trailer to the cab, I mounted the wireless receiver under the rear bumper of the trailer. This way the wireless signal maybe travels 10' at best. The rest is hard wired all the way up to my truck.

Now, my dad says my setup with the camera is 100X better than just running pure wireless. I think the most interference I get however is not the wireless, but rather the "engine noise" causing interference. I think they make filters for this but haven't explored it yet.

Just returned from a 500 mile road trip into the mountains and I was satisfied with it. Whereas when my dad had it setup wireless (as Tadi Brothers says it is supposed to be) he said he eventually turned it off on his trips with it because the interference was so bad it was not useable.

Here is the system I have http://www.tadibrothers.com/Catalog/...-Backup-Camera
Old 05-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
superdog404
Gone Traveling

Has anyone tried a GoPro camera. I don't have one but would wonder if they might work since they communicate with Wi-Fi to phone tablet etc.
superdog404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #7
AM1958

I'm testing a "cobbled together" wireless system using old smartphones and $5.98 worth of software this weekend. I'll get back to you...
AM1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #8
rcbufalino

You might want to compare them to rear view safety, I looked at there wireless seem adequate but opted for the wired with three cameras. If I was going to make any change it would be to go with a forth camera for the garage area. I went wired due to the length of the fifth wheel (41')

www.rearviewsafety.com
2014 Yamaha Stratoliner (His)
2014 Yamaha Stratoliner (Her)
1999 Yamaha Venture Royal Star
:USA2
rcbufalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:36 AM   #9
Vet4jdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
X3.....my wife always manages to locate herself where I can't see her in the mirror. I tell her if you can't see my mirror, I can't see you. Easy concept...hard to grasp!!! Luv U Honey!

I just got my Voyager wireless camera and monitor in the mail this week. Gonna do the install soon!
Old 05-10-2014, 07:20 AM   #10
TandE

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog404 View Post
Has anyone tried a GoPro camera. I don't have one but would wonder if they might work since they communicate with Wi-Fi to phone tablet etc.
I have not tried mine for backing up but have had it hooked to my phone for positioning a shot. It works but if you are going to use it for a backup camera beware that it has a noticeable lag at about 2 to 3 seconds or so and that's at less than 3 feet away from it.

Travis
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #11
Randy_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet4jdc View Post
X3.....my wife always manages to locate herself where I can't see her in the mirror. I tell her if you can't see my mirror, I can't see you. Easy concept...hard to grasp!!! !
Have you been camping with my wife ? Sounds just like her

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:14 AM   #12
Beekeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_K View Post
Have you been camping with my wife ? Sounds just like her
Oh lordy sakes...............and I thought I was the only one!

I told my wife that backing up a trailer with a woman spotting is some sort of sick, twisted conspiracy by women to see how high they can get a mans blood pressure without him totally losing his mind.

Is spotting REALLY that hard?
Old 05-11-2014, 03:19 AM   #13
navyav8tr

Hey thanks for all the replies. My camper is a Fuzion 390 so it is 42' to start out with and to run a wireless signal to the cab of my 350 with an 8' bed may be just too far. Tadi Brothers claim a range of 60' but with interference who knows how well it would work. Going to do some more research. I'll let you all know what I come up with and decide to do.

2013 Fuzion 390
2013 Ford F-350
2006 EZ-GO PDS with Lift

Old 05-11-2014, 06:13 AM   #14
GMcKenzie

I'm going wired on my truck. I have an Edge box with their CTS monitor that has a video in so I've ordered a $25 wired camera.

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...ackup%20camera

Be cheaper in the US.

There are kits out there for extended the wires and having a plug at the trailer, but I don't need those. Truth is, my wife does an excellent job of directing me into spots, or even helping me hook up. I want the camera for hooking up by myself and for backing up in general.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #15
randy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
Oh lordy sakes...............and I thought I was the only one!

I told my wife that backing up a trailer with a woman spotting is some sort of sick, twisted conspiracy by women to see how high they can get a mans blood pressure without him totally losing his mind.

Is spotting REALLY that hard?
I agree to that .. After finally getting into that spot. She stops talking to me for at least 2 days. And being a guy don,t remember what I said or screamed.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #16
mom2budnbug

Us wives are here to drive you nuts My DH and I are getting better with our communication, but still have our moments. So far, cell phones seem to work, but had to him that we do camp in some areas where service isn't available. One of our first purchases was a walkie-talkie set.

DH just bought these last weekend. They seem to work ok, but magnets don't sit flush.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...GVC44006JAG0WN

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
mom2budnbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #17
Whitewolf

Communication is much better between DW and me than it was 3 years ago when we started camping with a TT. She still thinks I can magically SLIDE the back end of the TT one way or another.

Our new unit will be ready in early June. I hope. (See 'Arrrrrrg'). I was already planning on doing this to the unit we have, but now I'm waiting 'til the new one arrives. Supposedly it has back up lights. It's been so long, I don't remember.

Anyway, I have a wireless system by Yada. Had it on the Ram 1500. Hooked the power to one of the back up lights and used it to back up to the TT.

Now the plan is to mount the camera on the back of the new camper, find power for the camera and place the transmitter at the front of the camper. I shouldn't have any loss of signal. Shouldn't.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:55 AM   #18
acampbell1999

I am in the process of installing a wired system. I bought this http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLCM7200-...words=PLCM7200 It includes a license plate camera that activates when you put the truck in reverse. The monitor has 2 inputs and I plan to run the second input to a camera on the rear of the TT (as soon as I get time). I already have the license plate camera hooked up and it works great. This is a much cheaper way to go and avoids the issues that you run into with wireless systems. I have spent maybe another $75 in addition to the system above for the second camera, cable, fittings, etc. If anyone else is cheap like me and wants to know how it turns out or wants to do the same thing let me know and I can elaborate or provide pictures.
acampbell1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #19
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by acampbell1999 View Post
I am in the process of installing a wired system. I bought this http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLCM7200-...words=PLCM7200 It includes a license plate camera that activates when you put the truck in reverse. The monitor has 2 inputs and I plan to run the second input to a camera on the rear of the TT (as soon as I get time). I already have the license plate camera hooked up and it works great. This is a much cheaper way to go and avoids the issues that you run into with wireless systems. I have spent maybe another $75 in addition to the system above for the second camera, cable, fittings, etc. If anyone else is cheap like me and wants to know how it turns out or wants to do the same thing let me know and I can elaborate or provide pictures.
That's me. I'd appreciate your results and or elaboration/ pictures.

Btw, I bought my trailer in Danville, go through there several times a year.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:03 AM   #20
navyav8tr

Very interested to hear how the install goes. Thanks for posting.

2013 Fuzion 390
2013 Ford F-350
2006 EZ-GO PDS with Lift