Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2014, 07:26 AM   #1
Ky81538

Rusty staples- Impending doom?

We have a 2006 keystone Hornet and I'm concerned about water intrusion into the slide out roof. There is a row of staples above the slide out just below the ceiling (see pictures) that are damp and rusty. Also on the inside edge of the slide out ceiling I'm seeing the same thing, and it seems worse than last year. I don't want to ignore this as it will only get worse. Is there a preventive measure I can take, or am I looking at a major repair soon? I hope I get the images into this post.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/pic...pictureid=2802
Ky81538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
therink

It looks like water intrusion to me. If you are a do it yourselfer, you may want to start with removing the interior trim and ceiling panel to pinpoint the source before rot sets in. Let us know how you make out.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
Ky81538

Uggh... Not sure even where or how to start. I'm a DIYer but with zero experience here.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky81538 View Post
Uggh... Not sure even where or how to start. I'm a DIYer but with zero experience here.
If you bring the slide only half way out you can check the roof sealant from the inside of the trailer and the outside with a stepladder. Hopefully there is not too much damage already and you will have only cosmetic problems to deal with.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
Ky81538

Thanks for the responses so far. I appreciate it. I've found that the seal is a bit deformed, and doesn't seem to move correctly as the slide out is operated. Just to make sure I understand how it is supposed to be, please see the images with my handwritten diagrams. These are how I think the seals are supposed to be in the inward and outward positions. I've moved the seal as in my diagram as it was halfway bent under. I am thinking I should replace the seal. Is this a major job?

Old 05-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
therink

Your diagrams appear to be correct. Based on the photo, it appears that your rubber slide roof and seal are very dirty and have a build up of algae and debris. It appears that this rig has been parked beneath trees for some time without a good cleaning. This condition alone could affect the integrity of the seal system. If it were me, I would spend some time and clean by hand all roof surfaces, both side of seals. Including under and behind the seal.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #7
Ky81538

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
Your diagrams appear to be correct. Based on the photo, it appears that your rubber slide roof and seal are very dirty and have a build up of algae and debris. It appears that this rig has been parked beneath trees for some time without a good cleaning. This condition alone could affect the integrity of the seal system. If it were me, I would spend some time and clean by hand all roof surfaces, both side of seals. Including under and behind the seal.
Steve
You are correct about the rig sitting under trees. It was placed here when it was new in 2006 or 2007. I will try cleaning as recommended. I did find that the seal appears to have been caulked a little bit as you can see it a little on the right side of the picture.
Is the seal difficult to replace?
Old 05-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
Steve
x2. After you have given the seals a thorough cleaning on both sides, try applying some Aerospace303 Protectorant to each side. This will help in making them more flexible and will help the seals to remain supple and clean.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

When you get your slide roof and seals cleaned, you need to use something to recondition them and protect them. This is one of a few kinds of "silicone containing product" that will work well. It's designed specifically for slide seals and stands up well to the sun and weather.

If I were you, I would apply a good liberal coating, let it sit overnight, "massage" the residue into the seals and then reapply again possibly a couple more times. The more you protect the seals the better and longer they will perform. Here is a link to the CW site for information, the same product is sold at WalMart for $3-4 less.

Good luck.

OOPS: the "heat" in Wichita must be more than I thought... Here's the link: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ditioner/21224

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:09 PM   #10
Ky81538

Thanks for the responses and I'll act on the recommendations. I do, however, feel the seal is deformed and I ought to replace it. Is this a DIY job, or should I leave it to a professional?
Old 05-05-2014, 04:18 AM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky81538 View Post
Thanks for the responses and I'll act on the recommendations. I do, however, feel the seal is deformed and I ought to replace it. Is this a DIY job, or should I leave it to a professional?
Ky81538, The "Seal" in your photo is actually just a wiper that deflects water from the actual seals. If water is leaking into the roof itself there has to be an opening in the roof material or where it is fastened and sealant is used. There will be a metal strip on both edges with screws every few inches .... the screws and the strip itself will have sealant on them. Check this sealant for missing or damaged spots and the rest of the rubber material for damage. As mentioned above, the roof and seals will need a good cleaning and if they have not been treated since new they will definitely need some conditioning treatment. Look closely for damage ... it does not take a very large opening for water intrusion. Good luck, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:01 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Many times seals will return to their original form is given time to absorb conditioner and not be pressed into the "abnormal shape" You might try that and see if in a couple of weeks it is better.

As for whether you can replace it or not. It's not a difficult task, with the slide half out, most seals are accessible and easy to replace. There are two types of seals, those that slide into a track and those which are taped or glued in place. Depending on which was originally used on your RV, you may only have to slip the old one out and lube/slip in a new one, or you may find that you've got to pull the old one off, possibly clean any torn rubber/tape residue from the seat and then apply the new one. The biggest issue with replaced tape seals is that they don't adhere. Usually that is caused by not properly cleaning all the residue off the panel where the new tape is applied.

I'd try the seal conditioner liberally applied to a clean seal that is positioned in its correct place before attempting to remove and replace it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote