Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
Yosemitebob

Fan-Tastic Ceiling Fan

There has been another install but din't want to bounce on his thread. So, I installed mine in the bathroom. Yes there was a light right by the vent over the bed would have been easy, but I have a few reasons why I did it here.
1 - It's the highest point of the trailer
2 - It's not over our heads as it would be in the bedroom
3 - Less noise, yes they are quiet, but at night any noise is heard
4 - in the body of the trailer just didn't seem practical
5 - I can reach the controls really easy
6 - they have (Fan-Tastic Vent) a great reputation
7 - now to explain my madness:

By putting it in the bathroom, I can get rid of any moisture from the shower quickly at any time of the year. For ventilation, I can close one of the two doors or both separating upper deck from rear and force ventilation from either direction. At night and it's hot, I close both doors and open vent over our head and use the FV to draw from there. Makes it real nice breeze. If we are cooking I close the vent over the bed close both doors again, leaving the third door open and then open vent and/or window at other end of trailer and draw air and/or cooking orders again, out the bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer 2014-8342.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	5148  
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
zuley

Nice clean looking install. I posted a week or two ago asking questions about the fan myself. I think I am definately going to install one. I like your idea of installing it in the bathroom for your reasons listed. Question. Does the unit pull a noticeable amout of air from the vent in your living area if that vent is left open?
I've priced these things. Wow. Upwards of 400.00 for the unit with the rain sensor in Canada. I'm not certain if that one included the remote or not. Money is not a big issue... me parting with it is.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
Yosemitebob

It has three speeds with it on the lowest, I can open the window over the sink and turn on the fan and you can noticeably feel the draft, on high no doubt. It's awesome.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
Charli

In our Cougar XLite there was very little air movement in the bedroom so we had a hole cut in the ceiling above the foot of the bed. Installed a Fantastic Fan with 3 speeds, reversible and temp sensor and put a high capacity vent cover on the roof. It did a great job of pulling air in or out. And with the vent cover we could have it running even if it rained.
We are now in the process of ordering a Mountaineer and have pretty much decided on the second a/c for the bedroom. It comes with a Fantastic Fan in the kitchen (not sure if it has a rain sensor or not) and we will be adding another Fantastic Fan in the Bathroom. Probably won't get the rain sensor and add the roof vent covers.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:27 AM   #5
Lost

We have a Fantastic fan in our bathroom and just installed another one in the kitchen. There a great fan
Old 02-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
BulletOwner1

Nice install Bob , but I'm a little fuzzy on one point. Did you retrofit an existing vent or did you install in a completely new location?

I think the bathroom is a very good location because of all the reasons you listed. In my situation the vent with the mickey mouse fan is located directly above the shower and I'm wondering if putting a Fantastic unit there would be a good idea.

I am wondering if directing the Fantastic to blow in while cooking and using the stove vent would keep the cooking vapors localized and increase the efficiency of the stove vent? Maybe I'm just over thinking this . Oops, I forgot, my stove vent doesn't go outside . That's one of the projects on my to do list.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #7
zuley

I'm thinking, as well, that by installing the fan in the bathroom and pulling the fumes away from the kitchen area it would prevent the smoke detector from going off whenever we cook. We've taken to either running a fan directed at the detector or pulling it down completely whenever we use the indoor stove or even the toaster for that matter.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:01 PM   #8
Yosemitebob

Bullet, sorry I just got back out of the rain from the desert, 3" in two days, and no leaks (knock on wood). So, I used the existing 14 x 14 that the little mouse fan was in and replaced that with the FanTastic vent. I know if I try to push out the air over the stove with the new fan, it will actually back up as the exhaust hole for the stove vent is quite small. I suppose you could do that and open a window to regulate the exhaust. It could work that way. Uses are limitless