Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2013, 03:06 AM   #1
Jazz38

Unhappy Laredo 320trl dump valve (3) problems

Just purchased this 5th wheel and the 3 dump valve open/close operator rods are extremely hard to slide in and out. T he black water and 1 of the grey water valves leak and will not close off completely. The operator rods are bent as if force has been used to open/close. They all are located inside under belly panel and out of sight. I need some advise on how to go about making repairs. Thanks
Jazz38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If you can pull down the coroplast underbelly to access the valves, I would disassemble them (there are 4 bolts that hold the two valve body halves together). Remove the slide bar which will get you access to the rubber valve seat. Remove it, check that it is supple and not damaged. Chances are that if the previous owner didn't care for them properly, they are dry and don't seal well. You can buy replacement seals at most RV dealerships. Inspect the valve bar, if it is smooth, rounded on the end and not damaged, you can reuse it. Inspect the linkage for damage. You indicate that the rods have been bent from forcing them. This would indicate that the cables inside the underbelly are binding. clean and lubricate them if possible and reassemble the valve. Hopefully it will function as designed. If not, or if there is damage to any component, you'll probably need to replace (rather than repair) each valve.

I would probalby just replace the valves and cables if it were my RV, but budget, time and plumbing expertise play into disassembling and rebuilding the system. Many who replace valves report problems with getting everything to line up easily during reassembly. There's little space and virtually no room to work around the valves.

I suppose the first thing to do is to take down the underbelly and see what you're facing. If it looks more challenging than you want to tackle, find a nearby RV dealer to do the job for you. Expect to pay several hundred dollars for the service.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
airforceret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz38 View Post
Just purchased this 5th wheel and the 3 dump valve open/close operator rods are extremely hard to slide in and out. T he black water and 1 of the grey water valves leak and will not close off completely. The operator rods are bent as if force has been used to open/close. They all are located inside under belly panel and out of sight. I need some advise on how to go about making repairs. Thanks
If it's relatively new, you may have an option to get the dealer to address your issues.

You may just have a bunch of plastic debris from the assembly line. I recently flushed out my tanks and couldn't believe all the debris. Big chunks of plastic, twirly strings of shaved plastic, and so forth...
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Since the 320TRL was last manufactured in 2008, I'm doubtful that any warranty would still exist (even if there were a 5 year extended warranty purchased).

This, unfortunately, looks like an "owner financed repair" <sigh>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
airforceret

I was just thinking if he bought it used from a dealer rather than a private owner! Got new on the brain lately.. LOL
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Yeah, me too LOL As for the OP's trailer, I don't think he indicated if he bought from a dealer or from an individual, at least I don't remember him discussing that. At any rate, very few dealerships will tackle that kind of problem on a used sale unless it's a part of the purchase agreement He might get "lucky" but I wouldn't count on it

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
Jazz38

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Yeah, me too LOL As for the OP's trailer, I don't think he indicated if he bought from a dealer or from an individual, at least I don't remember him discussing that. At any rate, very few dealerships will tackle that kind of problem on a used sale unless it's a part of the purchase agreement He might get "lucky" but I wouldn't count on it
It is a 2008 so as john said, "owner repair". Thanks to AFRET as well as you john. I will lower the underbelly and see whe stand. I will take your suggestions to heart and keep all the advise in mind. Thanks.
Jazz38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

You're most welcome and GOOD LUCK !!! Let us know how you do.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-17-2013, 04:37 AM   #9
jtyphoid

An alternative to lowering the entire underbelly is to cut 3-sided access hatches/flaps, preferably with the "hinges" toward the front of your trailer. The flaps can be taped shut with gorilla tape after you complete your repairs.

The hard part is figuring out where the valves are and how big the flaps need to be.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote