Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
Paisano

Towing tandem

New to all this so I would appreciate any help. Looking at our first trailer and considering PASSPORT 23RB. I want to tow a 14 ft boat & 25 hp motor or an ATV behind ( say1200 pounds). Legal in Wis. Dealer assures me no problem welding on a receiver. TV is F150 ECOBOOST 3.73 with max tow so plenty of towing capacity. Do I believe the dealer or what? Other than careful attention to TT tongue weight any other watch outs?

Mike
Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

If that bumper is anything like RV bumpers here out west, they are sheet metal and do not hold up real well to just the spare tire. I have been behind many rvs and see that spare tire and mount bonceing like crazy over any bumps. I took mine off and carry in the truck bed. I would not weld anything to the bumper. Weld/mount on from the frame. Thats what others have done.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I towed our Bass Tracker Tournament TX 175 (about 2000 lbs) behind our Springdale 242 using an F150 FX4. We never had any issues and felt the rig performed well. Gas mileage dropped from about 10MPG to about 9MPG when towing the boat and RV.

As for the back bumper. DON'T rely on it to support any weight. It can barely support the spare tire and many owners have even removed the spare from the bumper.

A custom welded hitch attached to the frame and rated for the load you intend to tow will definitely provide for safe towing. Remember that once you modify the frame, you will void a part of your Keystone warranty, so be careful of when and what you do.

We installed a hitch on our new fifth wheel and have towed the boat about 1000 miles with great results.

Good luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:39 AM   #4
Paisano

Thanks folks. Pardon me for not mentioning it but the dealer would weld the receiver to the fame. As for warranty, guess I'll have to go back to the dealer and ask him. I'm also looking at a Flagstaff micro lite 25KS and that dealer said if they welded a receiver to the frame it wouldn't affect the warrenty. Any more words of wisdom - sure would appreciate it?
Old 09-26-2013, 02:48 AM   #5
NCCamper

No words of wisdom really. But we just bought a Passport 23RB, and we love it! We also have a boat (Sea Ray 200BR), and I wish we could tow it behind the Passport. It's never going to happen, but it would be nice. I hope you get it worked out!

Welcome to the club!

John

John and Rhinda
Charlotte, NC
2013 Passport 23RB
1999 Chev Silverado
NCCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
allmi01

If you are gogin to tow double, you need to check the state laws for all states you are going to travel in.

I know that some states allow it and others don't or require an endorsement on your drivers license.

In Illinois and a few other states, if you are towing double as you propose, it can only be done from a fifth wheel trailer, not a regular travel trailer.

Check to make sure you meet local law requirements and those for states in which you wish to travel.

Just another dimension to this to check out.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisano View Post
Thanks folks. Pardon me for not mentioning it but the dealer would weld the receiver to the fame. As for warranty, guess I'll have to go back to the dealer and ask him. I'm also looking at a Flagstaff micro lite 25KS and that dealer said if they welded a receiver to the frame it wouldn't affect the warrenty. Any more words of wisdom - sure would appreciate it?
Paisano -

Perhaps Flagstaff's warranty is different from that of Keystone's but any warranty with Keystone excludes:

Damage or loss caused in whole or in part by the unauthorized attachments, modifications or alterations to the structure, body, pin box or frame of the RV including but not limited to trailer hitches for towing or platforms for supporting cargo.

This would indicated that you would have to get authorization from Keystone before any hitches are welded to the frame to ensure that the warranty would still be valid. If approval was not given then any damage or loss occurred which could be attributed to the welded hitch, would be your responsibility - not Keystone's.

If your dealer is in doubt, ask him to read the Owner's Manual -- it's all there.
The dealer cannot give you authorization to proceed at no risk with the modification you are talking about and; at the same time, adhere to this section of the exclusion outlined above.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
Paisano

Wow - thank you. Guess I need to have another talk with the dealer.
Mike.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
danimal

If the dealer installs it I don't see how this would affect the warranty. As others have said, make sure they weld it to the frame.
2005 Keystone Hornet 245RKS
2008 Gulf Stream Trailmaster M220
Cobia 220 Walkaround w/Yamaha 200 OX-66 Fuel injection
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
If the dealer installs it I don't see how this would affect the warranty. As others have said, make sure they weld it to the frame.
The dealer is only doing what he has been instructed to do . It's not his idea to install the hitch and he can't be held responsible for what follows - unless he was negligent in installing it or was shown to be incompetent.

Chances are, if it is installed properly to the frame, nothing will probably happen that will result in loss or damage. While there is little risk involved in having it welded to the frame, there is some risk nonetheless. So it is up to the owner to either wait a year until the warranty and its exclusions expire or proceed with the installation now and take a chance that nothing will happen.

I wasn't trying to scare Paisano off - merely pointing out to him that there is a warranty exclusion issue to consider - something that he may or may not have been aware of. Also, I am not sure if the dealer knows about this and; if he did, would have he made the buyer aware of it?

Tags
towing, towing capacity