Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2013, 03:03 AM   #1
kmc58

Axle Problems -Fuzion

We purchased a new 2013 Keystone Fusion 5th Wheel Toyhauler 395 in June 2013. It is pulled with a Ford 550.

Returning from our 2nd trip the 3rd axle broke loose. A new one was ordered and repaired by dealer. Picked up Toyhauler and almost home with it when a tire came off another axle. Has anyone experience this problem with their Keystone Fuzion? We're thinking the axles aren't heavy enough. Never experienced this problem with other haulers we've owned. Our first 5th wheel though.
kmc58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:43 AM   #2
x96mnn

I saw a tire come off a keystone hornet one time. Camper was brand new and being hauled to a seasonal lot by the dealer. Do not have any particulars on why it happened, does sound odd to have multiple failures. I am sure the dealer would have checked but on the axle you will find the load rating.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
kmc58

Axle Problems

Thank you. The dealer has contacted Keystone about our problems. Still hoping these were just freak incidences. Will check the axle for the info. Never a good sign when your wheel passes you on a busy highway!
Old 08-31-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmc58 View Post
Thank you. The dealer has contacted Keystone about our problems. Still hoping these were just freak incidences. Will check the axle for the info. Never a good sign when your wheel passes you on a busy highway!
How did the wheel come off? Did the spindle shear from the axle or did the lug nuts loosen up or did the bearing fail/loosen and the entire hub assembly seperated? If the lugs simply loosened, perhaps they weren't properly torgued?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
kmc58

Axle Problems - Fuzion

We had just had a new axle put on so surely the dealer would have checked the other 2 axles and wheels. The lugs did shear off. If I can figure out how to post a pic I will.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

If the lugs sheared, I'd bet that the dealer did NOT retorque the lugs on the axles he wasn't working on. I'd even go a touch further and suggest that the repairman most likely didn't use a torque wrench on any of the lugs, rather, most likely ran them tight with an impact wrench and signed off on the workorder.

In all the years I've bought tires and stood in the waiting area watching them being installed, I can count on one hand the number of times I actually saw a torque wrench come out of a tool box. Back then, with less experience, I didn't realize the value of proper torquing. Now, if it ain't torqued, and if I don't see it being torqued, I'm not pulling out my wallet. That's been a "at the start of the game, tell 'em early" rule for a number of years.

Yes, at the Ford dealership, when I get "the works" oil change (with tire rotation), they come to the service waiting area to get me to watch the torque. Simple, effective and I know it's right.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
Jager

We have a Fuzion 5th Toy hauler and although we haven't had any problems with the axles we have had plenty of problems with the tires. If you do the math I can tell you the axle and tire weight ratings they are using BARELY cover the camper. One of the reasons I'm on this forum looking around is to see what other people have done to improve the weight rating on the wheels/tires for the 5ths.

This is our 3rd 5th wheel by the way so we are by no means new to them.
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:58 AM   #8
kmc58

Axle Problems - Fuzion

Trying to get ours fixed and the dealer says Keystone doesn't want to honor the warranty.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:44 AM   #9
Jager

That is crap. Did the dealer say why Keystone wouldn't honor the warranty? And what about the dealer, are they going to stand behind their product?
Old 09-16-2013, 01:37 AM   #10
kmc58

Axle Problems - Fuzion

Our sentiments exactly. We have not questioned why they are not wanting to honor the warranty. The dealer has ordered the parts so hopefully repairs will happen in the week ahead. Our thoughts are it was a dealer error (2nd incident) and a manufacturer error (1st incident) from the get go.