Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Nailz

Toyota Tundra verses Raptor 27FS

My TV is a 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4x4 Crewmax with tow package. The manual states a towing capacity of 10,100lb. and a GCWR of 16,000 lb. The door sticker states a curb weight of 5,705 lb., a GVWR of 7,200 lb., and Max payload of 1,515 lb.

I am looking at purchasing the Raptor 27FS. The ship weight is 6,885 lb., Carrying capacity is 4,105 lb., Hitch weight of 830 lb.

Passengers = 400 lb.
Goldwing = 930 lb.
Camping gear/clothes/supplies estimated at 800 lb.
WDH (Equalizer 90-00-1200) is my thoughts. Weight of the WDH = 100 lbs.

Can I get your experienced opinions/thoughts on using this setup.
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
KanTC

Nailz,

We have an Equalizer WDH (also 1200 lb bars) it weighs just under 100 lbs.
One other thing to note - if you plan to carry fresh water (8.3 lbs/gal), be sure you account for that weight (as trailer cargo) too.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
Nailz

Terri,

Roger that. I could not easily find the weight for the hitch on the Eq site. How do you like the Equalizer? Would you buy it again?

I may have to avoid dry camping/boondocking or whatever the technical term is. I may have to stick to full service hookups and carry just a small amount of water in the black tank as recommended by others.

Curtis
Old 08-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailz View Post
Terri,

I may have to avoid dry camping/boondocking or whatever the technical term is. I may have to stick to full service hookups and carry just a small amount of water in the black tank as recommended by others.

Curtis
Curtis -

I hope you don't plan on drinking the "small amount of water in the black tank" Did you mean the FW tank?
Old 08-12-2013, 03:42 AM   #5
Nailz

Festus2,

I don't plan on drinking it, LOL! As long as the factory hooks the plumbing up correctly!

I thought I had read recommendations to keep some water in the black tank to help prevent "sludge" buildup. My assumption was that even using full hookup camping the black tank would be utilized and therefor "dirty". I thought there would be no harm in completely draining the fresh & gray tanks after each use.

This will be my first full featured trailer for camping, so I'm no expert. Using round numbers and the holding capacity for all three tanks on this trailer, worst case with all full, would be about 1000 lbs. Poop may weigh more or less than water, depends on diet, so I just used water weight to calculate the totals.

I'll follow your advice and stay away from drinking from the black water tank.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:57 AM   #6
Nailz

So this is how I am fingering my math for the truck and trailer.

Trailer

Ship weight = 6885 lbs.
Goldwing = 930 lbs.
Ancillary Stuff = 800 lbs.
WDH = 100 lbs.
Total (Max 10990 lbs.) = 8715 lbs.

Truck

Curb weight = 5705 lbs.
Passengers = 400 lbs.
Hitch weight = 900 lbs.
Total (GVWR 7200 lbs.) = 7005 lbs.

Total (GCWR 16000 lbs.) = 15720 lbs.

Since I have not purchased the trailer, I do not have scale weights. Am I fingering this right?

Thanks, Curtis
Old 08-12-2013, 04:47 AM   #7
jsmith948

You have to add the weight of your propane, batteries and EVERYTHING else that you plan on carrying - tools, chairs,clothes, plates and forks and coffee and - well - you get the idea. For me the easiest way to determine if your TV can handle the TH is to add the dry weight and the cargo capacity. That is your max gross - then - you can figure your max loaded tongue weight and your max combined gross weight. My son has a Tundra - good truck - just not ENOUGH truck to pull the TH you mentioned - based on the info you have provided - JMHO - good luck!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #8
Nailz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
You have to add the weight of your propane, batteries and EVERYTHING else that you plan on carrying - tools, chairs,clothes, plates and forks and coffee and - well - you get the idea. For me the easiest way to determine if your TV can handle the TH is to add the dry weight and the cargo capacity. That is your max gross - then - you can figure your max loaded tongue weight and your max combined gross weight. My son has a Tundra - good truck - just not ENOUGH truck to pull the TH you mentioned - based on the info you have provided - JMHO - good luck!
Thanks.

The stuff you describe is the "Ancillary Stuff = 800 lbs."

I agree with your math of adding the ship weight & CCC weight = TH GVWR. This would be the maximum allowed and worst case. I also agree this would exceed both the towing capacity of the truck & the GCWR for the truck.

IF I go with this setup I will have to be very careful not to max the CCC of the TH and also keep the wife from packing the kitchen sink in the TV. I could also loose weight and that would reduce the passenger weight. Maybe it's just the incentive I need as I really like this floorplan, 27FS

Besides, my truck can tow the space shuttle!

I am considering other models because of weight/cost.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
warsw

I had a 2011 Tundra and it was a great tow truck. That being said the Tundra does pretty well towing up to about 8000 lbs, a little less is better. After that you start working them pretty hard. Even at 8000 lbs I found myself wishing I had a little more truck/motor. On most 6% grades I found myself sitting at 4K RPMs for 5 or 6 miles. The truck seemed to do it OK and could probably do it all day long. It just seemed like it was getting close to its limit.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
NWTTrailer

I would really consider your weights. I speak from personal experence with a Tundra crewmax. The payload on our truck is closer to 1400lbs, and with our Springdale 260 I'm close to Max rear axle weight with the trailer loaded for a week long trip. As several members have told you it adds up quick, you asked for everyones advice, but it sounds as you have already decided. You can fudge the numbers all you want, but when it comes right down to it your going to want more truck at the end of the day. Good luck

Mike
NWTTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #11
Nailz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTTrailer View Post
I would really consider your weights. I speak from personal experence with a Tundra crewmax. The payload on our truck is closer to 1400lbs, and with our Springdale 260 I'm close to Max rear axle weight with the trailer loaded for a week long trip. As several members have told you it adds up quick, you asked for everyones advice, but it sounds as you have already decided. You can fudge the numbers all you want, but when it comes right down to it your going to want more truck at the end of the day. Good luck

Mike
Mike,

What I want and what I get are many times very different.

In fairness I was trying to work the numbers to stay within the tow rating of the Tundra. Just because a trailer is capable of 4K in cargo doesn't mean that I have to max it out.

I am listening to everyones advice and grateful that you have taken time to share your experiences. Bottom line is I am stuck with the truck for now, guess I'll keep looking for a suitable trailer.

Curtis
Old 08-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
NWTTrailer

Well that's the same trap the DW and I fell into. We got a trailer to fit the truck now we want a bigger trailer and don't have enough truck. So before we get our "next" trailer I get a new 1 ton and then she can get whatever floor plan she wants as long as it's a 5ver. Sorry if I sounded short that was not my intention
NWTTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #13
RaptyJon

I just bought a Raptor 27FS and am pulling it with a F150 Ecoboost - the truck pulls it quite easy. I owned two Tundras, a DC and a Crewmax, the latter lifted and decked out with everything imaginable. The Tundra has a great motor and would probably tow it fine dry but the Tundra isn't a fully boxed frame and I'm not sure how comfortable I would be towing something heavy like a camper with a Tundra, also I'm not sure how all the numbers work out in relation - unfortunately with the Tundra it's essentially "as is" with no customizable options like max towing and so on. Another consideration is the gas mileage you would get towing the trailer with the tundra's pretty small gas tank (at least in my opinion). Sorry for nothing real factual - I'm pretty new to all this myself and learning as I go.
RaptyJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #14
Nailz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTTrailer View Post
Well that's the same trap the DW and I fell into. We got a trailer to fit the truck now we want a bigger trailer and don't have enough truck. So before we get our "next" trailer I get a new 1 ton and then she can get whatever floor plan she wants as long as it's a 5ver. Sorry if I sounded short that was not my intention
No problems Mike. I'm learning. My concern was the very same as far as trailer verses truck, and I am not ready for a new truck. So my thought was large trailer (having to be careful of loading) and get a better truck down the road.

So I listened, kinda. Our offer has been accepted on a 2010 Raptor 21FB. We are scheduling pickup this weekend. It's fully loaded with generator. It is very similar to the 27FS except shorter and no front bedroom. The 27FS was my first choice, but money got in the way. I think the 21FB will be a great first trailer! Thanks again all who provided advice and knowledge.

I'll update my signature when we have the trailer. Don't want to jinx myself

Curtis
Old 08-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #15
green18

Keep us updated! I bet it is a great match.
green18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:58 AM   #16
Essness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailz View Post
No problems Mike. I'm learning. My concern was the very same as far as trailer verses truck, and I am not ready for a new truck. So my thought was large trailer (having to be careful of loading) and get a better truck down the road.

So I listened, kinda. Our offer has been accepted on a 2010 Raptor 21FB. We are scheduling pickup this weekend. It's fully loaded with generator. It is very similar to the 27FS except shorter and no front bedroom. The 27FS was my first choice, but money got in the way. I think the 21FB will be a great first trailer! Thanks again all who provided advice and knowledge.

I'll update my signature when we have the trailer. Don't want to jinx myself

Curtis
Congrats Curtis. I think you'll be very happy with that trailer.
We also bought a 21 foot trailer for our first one. I'm glad we did, it gave us an opportunity to see if we liked camping and traveling with the toy and also gave me an opportunity to get my "sea legs" so to speak in the towing realm.
The only reason we upgraded the trailer was the toy broke down on us in South Carolina and almost made us cancel the last week and a half of our vacation. We decided that we liked camping with the toy enough to upgrade the trailer and not get in that situation again.

Dont forget to post some pics when you get it home.
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #17
DanandDonna

I think there is a good chance you are going to be really over weight here. Your truck is a half ton and you will need something that takes a heavier load to pull that Raptor.
DanandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:59 AM   #18
Nailz

New thread started in the toy haulers section, with pictures Scot

WoooHooo! I am a Keystone owner now!

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13326

Thanks all,
Curtis

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5
2013 Ford F250 SRW 4x4 6.7L, Air Lift 5K Ultimate, B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch, Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
2008 Honda Goldwing
Veteran