Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
SlowPoke

Thumbs up OK, Satellite INPUT via Cable works now!

On my Passport, I was trying to find a way to use my DirecTV tuners, with the cabling setup on the TT without running separate cables to the main TV and the bedroom TV. Others have had the problem as well as I have searched through the threads.

My new Genie setup for Directv is a bit different than my older SD setup. First it's the larger oval tilted dish (Slimline) with the single head LNB for up to 5 tuners. Second, the bedroom SAT receiver is a slave to the Genie box at the main TV. If I wanted to watch AIR channels from the local camping area, I couldn't have my SAT hooked up at all, and when I attempted the hookup of the new system, it would short out the Genie's 21V power inserter that drives the LNB. I pulled my hair out (literally) trying to rework splitters, switches cables, everything to find a way that worked.

Found a way! Now I have it all hooked up, without running a separate cable to the main Genie , and from the Genie to the slave box in the bedroom. I'm using the internal cables in the TT (and YES the CABLE INPUT outside the TT), sorta unmodified, and can easily switch between Cable, Sat, and AIR in a jiffy! FINALLY!

The secret for anyone who has tried this, is the splitter you use. DO NOT use a standard "digital" or GHZ splitter like you would THINK you have to use. That is what has been shorting out the 21V (yes 21V, not 12V) system! I switched to the good ole fashioned 5-900MHZ splitter and with some reworking some connections for future use at the Wineguard outlet, everything has come up perfectly.

Will get it all on paper and draw a schematic for how it is all hooked up, and post it in this thread in just a bit after I'm finished cleaning up my explosion of trash, cables, and connecters I have laying about the TT at the moment...LOL Working while thinking can be messy!

I know this is NOT the same system everyone is using, and the problems I had, not everyone will face or has faced with their setup. The wineguard outlet and AIR hookup sure made it difficult for the 21V inserter though and maybe the schematic I am drawing up will assist others in their hookup woes.

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
therink

I did something very similar in my rig using the rvs internal coax wiring and still can use the ota antenna if I wish. I have two cables coming in from my dish to the "cable in" and "satellite in" connections outside that now feed two separate receivers inside (main living room and also rear bedroom). I just had to bypass the factory splitter located inside the wall behind the ota antenna amp, to get dedicated signal to the 2nd receiver.
It took a little creativity and didnt have to run any new cables, drill holes, etc.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
SlowPoke

Unfortunately, I have no separate factory SAT IN connection , just CABLE IN. That was causing the "Shorting" conflict when I hooked up the 21V inserter...Creativity yes, drilling hole inside for additional plate, yes. But only for the future use of other things mostly originally had it setup for a manual jumper to disconnect the AIR antenna, as I thought THAT was shorting it out, but after swapping the splitter, it worked fine. I unfortunately already had drilled the holes, and setup for the plate, so I had to come up with a good excuse for it now..."Future use" sounds good enough to me!!?? LOL

Old 04-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPoke View Post
Unfortunately, I have no separate factory SAT IN connection , just CABLE IN. That was causing the "Shorting" conflict when I hooked up the 21V inserter...Creativity yes, drilling hole inside for additional plate, yes. But only for the future use of other things mostly originally had it setup for a manual jumper to disconnect the AIR antenna, as I thought THAT was shorting it out, but after swapping the splitter, it worked fine. I unfortunately already had drilled the holes, and setup for the plate, so I had to come up with a good excuse for it now..."Future use" sounds good enough to me!!?? LOL
That right, you never know. I have a few future use holes in my rig from some of the mods I have done.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
SlowPoke

Update

Ok, after having some techie issues, finally drew up my best representation of what I ended up with. This is for the GENIE, but will work for other setups possibly as well. I labelled the best I could, if you need an explanation, just ask, and I'll explain further. Hopefully this well help those of you that are having confusion with Sat hookup without a nice SAT INPUT outside...(Some of us just didn't get one )

ANTENNA and DTV can be switched back and forth by pushing the Amp button on the Winegard Outlet.

Again, this seems as it should be pretty simple, but the issue was the 21V inserter, without doing it this way, I continued shorting out the inserter each time I attached the cable from it to the TT. By adding some wiring and a splitter behind the wall, and reconfiging the way its hooked up, I now can use my DTV, wired directly into the CABLE input on the outside of the TT. Before I had to run the separate cable through the slide-out, and couldn't utilize the second TV in front of the TT on a separate SAT receiver. The second TV could only use the rooftop antenna. Now I can switch back and forth at will (ya know, during those nasty storms that make the DTV signal go BYE BYE! lol) by pushing the Antenna button on the winegard outlet behind the main TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DTV-GENIE WIRING.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	2842