Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
billmill3461

Friction door hinge

Does anyone know if there is a way to add a friction hinge to an existing entry door?
billmill3461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
MikeES

Friction hinge door.

Is there a way to change the hinges on a friction hinge door to remove/disable the friction hinge?

We do not like the friction hinge at all...it works so hard my wife cannot close the door. When opening or closing the door flexes the whole side wall of the camper! When traveling we have to dead bolt lock the door or it will eventually come open because of the pressure on the latch.

The hinges have been lubed heavily but did not change the force needed to close/open the doors. The dealer promised that the would loosen up quickly with use.

Is it as simple as new straight hinge pins? Or is this a whole new door?
MikeES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:31 AM   #3
crash

We too dont like the friction hinges.Sorry.
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
MikeES

I did find more about the friction hinge door. The top and bottom hinges are the friction hinge and the center is free. The hinges are screwed to the door but riveted to the camper walls. We went and checked out over a dozen new Sprinters and found a big difference in the resistance, the easiest ones would be acceptable., but most were similar but still were easier than ours. Our door frame is getting bent and has pulled away from the door body. This after only using the camper for 3 camping trips (total of 15 days).

The dealer has not heard from Keystone on a solution for ours.
MikeES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
summerhummer

Any more news on this. I saw the friction doors on the lot played with it and it was great. I was wondering how to retro fit. Again I don't have it in my camper but was looking to make a modification to add it. It worked great on the lot for me. Way cool. Sorry you are having issues.
summerhummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
123mcquigge

Sprinter Friction door hinge pin broke

Okay here it is, not a fan of the friction hinges on the entry door.
Went out to start the reloading of the trailer after a Canadian winter, and the door was extremely stiff. So I proceed to get the WD40 to grease the hinges, and slowly trying to work the oil in,.....the bottom hinge pin sheared off where the screen door attaches to the hinge. Now my question is....WHERE CAN I GET A REPLACEMENT HINGE OR PIN to fix it? I found a place in the US, but really looking for some place here in Canada. Thanks in Advance. (here's the one in the US) http://store.lci1.com/hinge-assembly...tion-p903.aspx
123mcquigge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:03 AM   #7
AdkWoody

A little late...

I have a 2013 Sprinter 320BHS with the friction hinges. We absolutely LOVE them! The kids can't open or close the door too hard and the wind NEVER bothers them!! We purchased our rig brand new and I never once oiled or greased the hinges. Just last year (2019) the bottom hinge pin broke and the very bottom piece fell off. I've been meaning to find a replacement but haven't yet. The only issue is now the screen door opens/closes weird when by itself. I need to fix the awning bottom hinge bar first!

I did think that the hinge was hard to open and close when I first tried it, and I did have a fear that the rivits or the frame would give over time. Here we are 7 years later and they are still holding strong!
AdkWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:37 PM   #8
ChrisB

I have a solution that I am very happy with. Unfortunatley I spent a lot of time contacting the dealership who refered me to the fabricator, who refered me to the component manufacturer... lipert. None of them offered assistance. Both of my doors were coming apart due to this technological advancement. My camper was just over the one year mark when we started to have trouble. We had no choice but to dive into this and get it resolved. Unfortunately I have had trouble uploading pictures to this forum. If anyone would like to evaluate our process, what we learned and how to accomplish the solution just let me know.
The first door took us about 3 hours as we were figuring out all the issues. The second door only took us about an hour because we waited to get it done and had to relearn and take photos this time.
Hope this give you hope. By the tine we finally got it done we could barely close the doors anymore.

CB
Old 08-21-2020, 05:14 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

CB have you tried this https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...b3_attachments First you must click "Go Advanced". Then click on the "Paper "Clip" icon to the right of the fonts control.

That will open a new box "Manage Attachments" where you chose a file then you must click "upload in that window.

Hope that helps.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:52 AM   #10
ChrisB

ok, one more time.

our camper is a 43' 2017 carbon toy hauler. we bought it brand new. about a year and an half in the doors started to become a problem. difficult to shut and the latches not lining up properly. progressively until nearly impossible to close. spoke to the dealer, Outside warranty, and offered to give us a quote or i could try to deal with the manufacturer Keystone. spent several weeks sharing infromation with them and they finally said we should get in touch with the component fabricator, Lippert. after another several weeks of sharing and discussion, they said there was nothing they could do other than offer us new products to replace these. by then we were pretty fed up and decided to tear into the issue our selves.
We realized the friction hinges (poc components) are only the upper and lower hinges. the middle hinges are not. we also realized that the friction in the hinge was actually tearing the door apart. The door is not designed to overcome that much resistance and the door frame began to break away from the edge of the door. when we attempted to close the door, the door would flex at that point and basically stretch and that is when we realized why the door was getting hard to close. also noticed the edge of the fiberglass skin was exposed past the aluminum frame and as we attempt to close the door that gap would increase allowing us to see the foam interior of the door.
we drilled out the knuckle opposite the pins. tapped them out with a punch. ran the drill bit through the holes to clean them up and then using a long punch drove the center pin out the bottom of the hinge while it was on the door using cardboard to protect the camper skin. then we used a file to clean up the center pin and a drill. then cleaned up the interior of the knuckle with a drill bit. put them back together and slid at least one of the horizontal pins back in just to keep the center pin from dropping out.
if the door is damaged like mine, we had to unscrew the frame around the door and get it far enough apart so that we could reattach the galvalume base to the foam core with liquid nails. if the door skin has become detached from the galvalume base. we used contact cement to bind the two together again and clamped it up to dry. then we reassembled the door and have been very happy with the results.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200710_154817_resized.jpg
Views:	1029
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	29351

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200710_154904_resized.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	29352

Name:	20200710_155431_resized.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	29353

Name:	20200710_170806.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	29354

Name:	20200710_170950_resized.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	29355

Name:	20200710_185305_resized.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	29356

Name:	20200710_185426_resized.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	29357
Old 08-21-2020, 03:41 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Chris thanks for that very detailed repair. I'm hoping like heck mine doesn't give me fits but you've posted some good ideas.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:51 PM   #12
Snoking

I hate the friction hinges on our Laredo, in the wind the door still get blown open or closed! Solution looking for a condition that did not exist. It is a double wammie with the Lippert fold in steps.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:55 PM   #13
ChrisB

Good deal, hope it helps. We are still trying to determine what type of door arrestor we want to install and we are considering the new steps as well. Theyvwere on the model we walked thru. That was supposed to be the first upgrade. 2 years later we are still dealing with our originals that are too short.
Old 08-08-2021, 12:27 PM   #14
mike95776

Thanks for this Chris!!! We just got back from a 10 day trip and I cussed every time I opened or closed the door.... I promised myself that i would fix this...

I see that you took off the hinges to drill them out... Is that really necessary...? Did you try just putting the center pin back in after you removed the side pins to see if that worked?
mike95776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:20 PM   #15
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
we also realized that the friction in the hinge was actually tearing the door apart. The door is not designed to overcome that much resistance and the door frame began to break away from the edge of the door. when we attempted to close the door, the door would flex at that point and basically stretch and that is when we realized why the door was getting hard to close. also noticed the edge of the fiberglass skin was exposed past the aluminum frame and as we attempt to close the door that gap would increase allowing us to see the foam interior of the door.
Oh, yeah, tell me about it.
I didn't connect it to the hinges until real late in the game.

The new door I got from Lippert had its friction seriously reduced from the factory. I may reduce the friction on my other door someday if it starts showing evidence of spreading, but we use that door roughly 40 times less often than the one we replaced, so it's been fine so far.

The referenced thread also contains somebody else's instructions for another way to reduce the friction on those hinges.
Old 08-08-2021, 04:34 PM   #16
CedarCreekWoody

I have found silicone spray helps the hinges once they get too stiff.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:56 PM   #17
LHaven

Well the problem is that Average Joe doesn't know the design goals and can't tell too stiff from desired stiff.

Lubing doors designed to be stiff is a lot like waxing your skateboard -- really a good idea?
Old 08-09-2021, 02:09 AM   #18
CedarCreekWoody

Yes, a very good idea if it has gotten so stiff that it won't latch without slamming or is beginning to separate the lamination of these door as has happened to some members.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:53 AM   #19
ChrisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike95776 View Post
Thanks for this Chris!!! We just got back from a 10 day trip and I cussed every time I opened or closed the door.... I promised myself that i would fix this...

I see that you took off the hinges to drill them out... Is that really necessary...? Did you try just putting the center pin back in after you removed the side pins to see if that worked?
Hope my post helps you. This is my first camper even though I have been camping for over twenty years. My father in law always owned one but would never pull it so we always traveled together. However. Since we received zero support from the manufacturer, the dealership or component manufacturer. We decided to permanently end this upgrade. I could not be happier. My doors have been fixed and smoothly open and close now. We still have not decided what type of door restraint to use but so far we have been happy the way it is. In my opinion that upgrade was poorly thought out and is only a source of future problems. The door nor the frame is designed to accommodate that much force. Without drilling out the hinge. We felt like we were not getting enough relief from the friction
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 02:20 PM   #20
mike95776

Removed friction hinge pins

I drilled out the friction hinge pins from the opened door side... As you can see in my pics it was kind of a hack job as I did not hit the center of the pin... but in the end I "got er done"...

The door now swings easily... I just ordered 10" door catches RV T-Style Door Holder Catch| RV Door Holder 2 Pack (10 Inches, White) I hope these will keep the door at 90 degrees to the TT. I can't see how to install a gas strut to the inside of the door as the screen is right at the edge of the door opening... Someone mentioned that they put the gas strut on on the outside, but there is not a lot of structure on the trailer to attach it to...

My advice for someone that wants to do this is to first, use a center punch to mark the center of the pin... then drill a pilot hole in the pin using a 1/16" drill bit to make sure you hit the center. Then follow this with a larger bit that is just a little larger than the pin... As you move the door you will be able to see if there are any burrs on the center pin that need to be removed (see pic).

I got the door catch installed... I looked everywhere for something solid to attach it to but failed to find anything... it's glued and screwed but a good gust will more than likely rip it loose... I don't keep the door open when there is wind anyway...

Name:	IMG-1656.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	35177

Name:	IMG-1650.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	35178

Attachment 35179
Attached Thumbnails