Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2013, 06:00 AM   #1
bigracenut

A few winter Mods finished!

I added another pair of BAL stabalizer jacks to the center on each side, just in of my front axle on my 33' Sprinter to help keep the "bounce" out while parked. I actually tried this out on our last camping trip last fall and it worked great!

The sewer hose storage was finished and I installed it last week. I used 4 3/4" fence tubes and painted them black when done. It matched the undercarriage nicely and it is mounted next to my sewer dump. The 4 3/4 tube allows for my sewer tubes to retain the end couplers when i am done and ready to store, instead of having to break the hose and coupler apart, plus it keeps that wet hose out of my steel bumper and prevents it from rusting inside. My sewer hose is now closer to my sewer dump for easier access.

I am also building my own clothes line that attaches to my rear bumper for beach towels to dry on!!

I have several other mods in the works, and I got most of all of these ideas from this forum. Thanks for the great experinces and ideas you all share!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Center BAL Stabilizer jack.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	2583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer Hose storage Tube construction #1.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	2585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer Hose storage tube construction #2.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	2586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer Hose Storage finished.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	2587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer Hose Storage tube.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	2588  

bigracenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
rode2nowhere

looks good, need to do the sewer hose mod to mine, the coupling wont fit in the bumper for storage.
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
raytronx

Thanks for posting. I'm looking to do the sewer hose mod soon. My hose fits the bumper but would be nice to have it near the outlet.

Ray

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
ThePressureIsOn

Nice mods. The sewer hose holder will be my next mod. Is that a Rhinoflex sewer hose? That is the brand that I have and it won't fit into a standard 4 X 4 fence post cover. Did you purchase a standard 6 X 6 vinyl fence post cover or something else? Painting it black makes it blend in well.

The DW also wants something to dry wet towels on. Please let us know what you come up with and thanks for the great pics.
ThePressureIsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
bigracenut

Yes, It is a Rhino hose. The trailer bumper is only 4 X 4....... I used the 4 3/4 X 4 3/4 fence post from Lowes. It fits without removing the end couplers from the hose. I tilted it 1" to let any water drain out after I rince the hose prior to storing it in the tube.

I have a nice clothes line completed and will mount it this weekend. I'll post a pic for you when done.

I also painted my sewer dump handle grey for the grey tank side. I knew after the decals disappeared over time, this would stop any confusion when anyone but me decided to dump the tanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sewer Handles.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	2589  
Old 03-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
Andymon

I made the rhino tube also. I used a 5" post and then inserted a vinyl gutter into it. Can be accessed from both ends and I'll attach it to the frame from one side to the other.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tube1.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	2590  

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
bigracenut

Nice Job!!!..... I like the sliding gutter idea, but i knew if I mounted mine inline with my frame, I wouldn't have room for the slide to come out so close to my sewer dump. But I like how you did that one! Have you installed it yet?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
Andymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigracenut View Post
Nice Job!!!..... I like the sliding gutter idea, but i knew if I mounted mine inline with my frame, I wouldn't have room for the slide to come out so close to my sewer dump. But I like how you did that one! Have you installed it yet?
No, not installed yet. Maybe next weekend. The sewer dump in under the slide but the tube will go just in front of the slide. I'll have to hook up the rhino before i put the slide out.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Old 03-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
ThePressureIsOn

Thanks for the reply race. I didn't know that a 5 X 5 post sleeve was available. A 6 X 6 X 8 post sleeve is $150 around here, so that makes the 5 X 5 X 8, for $22, a bargain. I love this forum.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePressureIsOn View Post
Thanks for the reply race. I didn't know that a 5 X 5 post sleeve was available. A 6 X 6 X 8 post sleeve is $150 around here, so that makes the 5 X 5 X 8, for $22, a bargain. I love this forum.
Home Depot has the 5x5 8ft long white posts for $24. Be careful which end caps you buy. There are two types, one is $2 and one is $7. The expensive ones didn't seem to fit as tightly when I bought mine, so I went CHEEP LOL Lowes only had the expensive end caps when I was buying.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
SlowPoke

I really like that setup, I used to have a 6" PVC conduit with caps, but gave it away before I knew I'd get another TT (I kick myself constantly!!!) . This looks like something inexpensive I will have to do! Thanks for the idea...never thought to use a fence post!

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #12
f6bits

Which BAL stabilizers are those? The trailer wobble we get when parked isn't a big enough deal to make me get full blown stabilizers like StrongArms. Something like that might be nice (and optional). Plus, with a drill, they're a snap to raise and lower.

I swear I did't see affordable vinyl fence posts last time I checked Home Depot. I *so* need to get my sewer tube act in order: 15 footer with 5 foot extension and a 5 footer for my grey water tote.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #13
f6bits

Why is your fence post cut in half?

And what are those brackets you used?

How'd you do your hinge setup?

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:44 AM   #14
ThePressureIsOn

Thanks for the heads up JRTJH. I had to special order a 5 X 5 from Lowes, we don't have a Home Depot in town. I also ordered the caps for $4 each. Before I leave I will make sure that the caps fit well.

Andymon, I like your sewer hose storage holder. Slide out the gutter and it's right there.

It looks like everyone is using pop rivets, good idea. For my last TT I used ss, ($$) hardware.

Thanks to all for your great ideas/suggestions.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Make sure to install the pop rivets "inside out". That way you have the hinge to act as additional backing to prevent cracking the vinyl. Also, there isn't enough clearance between the post and the cap to install them with the "pop" part on the hinge side. Look closely at the pictures in this thread and you'll see how they are installed. The small cut out makes it easier to close the cap, but I didn't cut that out and it seems to work just fine. The vinyl post will bend inward just enough to allow the cap with the latch to close completely.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #16
GaryWT

Looks good, might look into the jacks as our last trailer moved but we had electronic jacks, with the normal ones we will wait to see how it is before adding.

Sewer hose, looks good, have not seen it down the side before. I bought a 6 inch pvc, caps and metal strapping, just need to put it all together and install within the next 2 months. Currently sewer house is in a rubbermaid container in storage compartment, someone once told me not to use the bumper as it will rust out plus I do not think it is big enough.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #17
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
Looks good, might look into the jacks as our last trailer moved but we had electronic jacks, with the normal ones we will wait to see how it is before adding.

Sewer hose, looks good, have not seen it down the side before. I bought a 6 inch pvc, caps and metal strapping, just need to put it all together and install within the next 2 months. Currently sewer house is in a rubbermaid container in storage compartment, someone once told me not to use the bumper as it will rust out plus I do not think it is big enough.
I have found that the main problem with bumper storage is the rusty metal wares holes in those expensive hoses very quickly. May work fine for folks who only travel a few hundred miles a year but one long trip and you need a new hose.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #18
ThePressureIsOn

Quote:
Make sure to install the pop rivets "inside out". That way you have the hinge to act as additional backing to prevent cracking the vinyl. Also, there isn't enough clearance between the post and the cap to install them with the "pop" part on the hinge side. Look closely at the pictures in this thread and you'll see how they are installed. The small cut out makes it easier to close the cap, but I didn't cut that out and it seems to work just fine. The vinyl post will bend inward just enough to allow the cap with the latch to close completely.
Thanks for the heads up JRTJH. I've forgotten how far a pop rivet sticks out.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #19
Andymon

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up JRTJH. I had to special order a 5 X 5 from Lowes, we don't have a Home Depot in town. I also ordered the caps for $4 each. Before I leave I will make sure that the caps fit well.

Andymon, I like your sewer hose storage holder. Slide out the gutter and it's right there.

It looks like everyone is using pop rivets, good idea. For my last TT I used ss, ($$) hardware.

Thanks to all for your great ideas/suggestions.
I ended up using pop rivets and some small bolts as I ran out of rivets.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Old 03-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #20
SteveC7010

Quote:
Post sleeves, regardless of size, are available in at least two different materials.

First and most expensive is composite which is a mixture of plastics and stabilized wood byproducts. The surfaces of composite decking and railing components are usually high grade UV resistant vinyl. The stuff is nearly identical to Trex and other composite decking materials. I just did our new deck with composite railings so I am painfully aware of the increased cost. DW just had to have it, though.

Second, and far more economical is the all vinyl or PVC sleeving and accessories for fence and railing systems.

I believe this is where and why you folks are seeing large price differentials that seem out inconsistent.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote