Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
Bigbeardiver

Furnace Issues

We purchased a used 2009 Sprinter 311BHS this summer. We never tried the furnace until now, it recent started getting chilly at night. When we tried it cold air blew out the vents on the inside. On the outside of the trailer hot air would vent out the hot vent for 3-5 seconds and shut off, then repeat 2 more times. Then it would stop trying.

Needless to say we hired someone to come look at it and the issue turned out to be one of our two 30# propane tanks at the front was turned off. Now here is where I am confused. We have two 30# tanks. The regulator has a switch to point to which tank you want to draw from. We point it at one tank and leave the other off.

I'm confused why having both tanks on would make a difference if the regulator was pointed to the open tank. Does the second tank still provide propane even if the regulator is not pointing to it?

2009 Sprinter 311BHS
Patrick and Brenda
Bigbeardiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
buzzcop63

The tank valve can be pointed straight down in which case gas will be provided by one tank (both valves open) and when it is empty gas will flow from the full tank. You can also pick the tank that you wish to draw from and when that tank is empty you then would have to manually switch to the full tank. A red flag will show up at the valve to show the tank is empty when you switch to that tank and try to use. This is on my 2012 TT and information from class on how to operate the LP system. If my memory is incorrect another member should catch it or give a better explanation.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
Mike L123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbeardiver View Post
We purchased a used 2009 Sprinter 311BHS this summer. We never tried the furnace until now, it recent started getting chilly at night. When we tried it cold air blew out the vents on the inside. On the outside of the trailer hot air would vent out the hot vent for 3-5 seconds and shut off, then repeat 2 more times. Then it would stop trying.

Needless to say we hired someone to come look at it and the issue turned out to be one of our two 30# propane tanks at the front was turned off. Now here is where I am confused. We have two 30# tanks. The regulator has a switch to point to which tank you want to draw from. We point it at one tank and leave the other off.

I'm confused why having both tanks on would make a difference if the regulator was pointed to the open tank. Does the second tank still provide propane even if the regulator is not pointing to it?
My understanding is this; Think of the PB on the regulator side as "primary" and the PB on the other side as "secondary". Assume BOTH bottles are full and fully open. Regulator pointer is pointed to the primary PB. After a few days of use the primary PB bottle runs out and the flag on the regulator turns RED. The regulator will automatically pull gas from the secondary bottle so that you don't run out of gas at 3:00AM and have to go out and manually turn on the secondary gas flow. The red flag is only to remind you that the primary bottle is now empty and that you should flip the pointer to the secondary PB and take the primary PB off and out to the refiller as soon as possible. This way the pointer is now at the secondary bottle and will stay green until that bottle runs out. At that time it will flag red and draw from the primary PB which you have already dutifully refilled and re installed, valve fully open to once again prevent untimely flame outs of the furnace. At this time you will notice that the flag has gone red for the secondary bottle and you will flip the pointer back to the primary PB at which point the red will turn green. Repeat this cycle ad naueseum or until you finally do screw up and run both tanks out of propane as I recently did
Cheers!

Mike
Carol, My wonderful wife of 41 years
Kenzie Schweenie Tod, our furry faced Shih 't n Dash
Mike L123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
theeyres

Stupid question...but are you sure the tank you were pointing at had enough fuel in it to get the furnace going, or was it empty or almost empty? Either way, just keep them both open and let the regulator do its job. You are doing it the hard way if you try to do the regulation.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:37 AM   #5
Jager

It there was LP in the tank you were pointing to it should have run the heater.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
Bigbeardiver

Yes we had 1 full tank (valve closed) and the primary tank at least 1/2 full. Tested running the stove so gas was flowing fine. Now that I understand it and the secondary tank is open all is well, it just didnt make sense to me.

Since we are on a seasonal site we might invest in a large propane "pig" tank. Especially if we plan on being out there all winter. That might reduce the issues of gas flow.

2009 Sprinter 311BHS
Patrick and Brenda
Old 10-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
Mike L123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbeardiver View Post
Yes we had 1 full tank (valve closed) and the primary tank at least 1/2 full. Tested running the stove so gas was flowing fine. Now that I understand it and the secondary tank is open all is well, it just didnt make sense to me.

Since we are on a seasonal site we might invest in a large propane "pig" tank. Especially if we plan on being out there all winter. That might reduce the issues of gas flow.
WHAAAAAAT!? Are you saying you understood my explanation? WOW, everyone else keeps saying I'm just crazy. FWIW, BTW, we run a 100lb tank during the colder months just to save from the ball-busting efforts of changing out a 30lb tank every three days.

Cheers!

Mike
Carol, My wonderful wife of 41 years
Kenzie Schweenie Tod, our furry faced Shih 't n Dash
Mike L123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
Bigbeardiver

I have a cheaper method, buy electric blanket and extra pair of socks for the girlfriend and call it a day. I dont get cold so no heat required.

I'm not planning on running through that much propane even an electric heater on the grid would be cheaper than propane and less effort required. Especially since we dont know if we will adapt to winter camping on a seasonal spot with no running water.

2009 Sprinter 311BHS
Patrick and Brenda
Old 10-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
Jager

BigBeaver I'm not sure what people are selling you but on my camper I can select a single tank, have the other tank completely closed and run the primary tank completely empty.

I guess as long as you have a workable solution it doesn't matter . . .
Old 10-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #10
jsmith948

If you wish to manually switch your tanks as they become empty, that is certainly your perogative. However, if you would like to enjoy the convenience of the auotmatic system, then I would suggest that you look up the sticky that will guide you through the set up. It is very important that you follow the sequence and open the valves correctly. If, after properly openning your tank valves, the regulator fails to switch automatically, you may have a faulty 'pig tail' on one of your tanks. About $15 and easily changed - good luck!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
Ken / Claudia

I had 2 beach propertys with the 100 gal tanks. I purchased them and the propane co. came by either by a phone call or every few weeks. Good part was the cost per gallon was the same as if filling a tank at their shop. When sold I got back the cost of purchase and was paid for unused propane. That was nice to know the propane was never out or need to take the small tanks to their shop.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #12
theeyres

When doing the walk through on our current trailer, the furnace would not ignite. It had never been used (2-3 years old depending on how you count the build date). The poor tech kept trying and finally starting digging into the furnace. Then, after at least 15 tries, it fired. And it has been working ever since. Maybe your furnace not firing had nothing to do with the tanks--just didn't want to fire because it have never been used and may have been dirty or whatever.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote