Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
rnshadic

Question How to retro the LP gas line for BBQ hookup

Just checking in to say hello as a new owner of A Cougar XLite 21RBS

Made our first trip out for a week in the Adirondacks and all went well with only a few minor punch list items on the new rig.

One item I noticed that I would like to modify is the LP gas connection at the rear for the portable BBQ. The connection/valve is located at approx. mid point behind the tube bumper [on the underside of the floor] and is very difficult to access. I would like to reroute this so it is accessible without having to crawl under the trailer to hook up and disconnect the BBQ supply LP hose.

Any thoughts/suggestion from others who have done such a retro?

Thanks...
rnshadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I just rerouted ours on the new Cougar. It was located under the bumper (about 18") directly behind the spare tire. It was almost impossible to connect the grill and the hose was barely long enough to make it to the swing arm. I bought a half inch 90* elbow and a 6' piece of 1/2" black iron pipe. Took the quick disconnect off the existing gas piping, installed the elbow and ran the new pipe across the back of the trailer to come out just behind the stabilizer jack. Then, installed the quick disconnect. Now I can put the grill on the swing arm, reach directly under the trailer skirting and the quick disconnect is right there.

If you can't find the correct length black iron pipe, HD and Lowe's will cut/thread the correct length for you.

Don't forget, use black iron pipe and "propane rated" pipe joint compound. After you're done, check for leaks with a soapy solution and then enjoy the easy way to connect your grill

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
rnshadic

Thanks for the input. It sounds like you ran into he same issue I did in accessing the LP quick connect. My piping runs a bit different in that the current black iron pipe runs down the right side under belly then makes a 90 and heads across the back stopping about midway across pointing to the left side of the trailer and away from the swing out BBQ arm which just barely allows the 6' hose to connect up.

My plan is to change the configuration as you did so the valve and quick connect stays behind the tube bumper but terminates by the rear right stabilizer jack so I can just reach under to connect. I think I may use the flex stainless plastic jacket tubing to do the rerouting.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I would suggest staying with the black iron pipe because it is rigid and won't get hung up on anything and pull out should you "high center" the bumper or run over a bush/shrub/tire carcass in the road. The stainless tubing may look sturdy, but it still has a rubber inner core that can be stretched or damaged by being twisted or crushed much easier than black iron pipe. Besides, it's much easier to keep the black iron pipe in place and not droop as it gets pushed and pulled from repeated connecting of the quick disconnect.

If your gas supply line runs down the curb side of your RV, makes a 90* turn and runs across the back, the easiest way to get a supply may be to replace the current 90* elbow with a TEE fitting and just run a short 6" or 12" black iron pipe out to the side of your RV and attach the Quick Disconnect to that. Then you can just plug (or cap) the current QD location.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #5
rnshadic

good points and thanks again...