Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
dhopkins52

HELP!!! Electrical issue

Clearance and outside, tail lights came on yesterday, and the trailer(Cougar 325SRX) was not connected to the truck. Disconnected the shore line and they stayed on. Disconnected the battery and they went off. What can make the lights come on when not connected to the truck?
dhopkins52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
kimanderson98642

sounds like there might be something shorting out in the pigtail wires that plugs into the truck. there is a hot wire as well as the clearance and tail lights wires there so check the plug for something shorting or smashed wires that might be shorting?
Home Base Ridgefield, Washington
2011 Keystone Cougar 292rks
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins
kimanderson98642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimanderson98642 View Post
sounds like there might be something shorting out in the pigtail wires that plugs into the truck. there is a hot wire as well as the clearance and tail lights wires there so check the plug for something shorting or smashed wires that might be shorting?
X 2 ....... check the plug and the junction box it goes into.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
dhopkins52

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimanderson98642 View Post
Checked these areas that you mention and I find nothing visually wrong. I have it all disconnected until I find the problem Can the convertor cause this?
Old 07-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
SAABDOCTOR

I do not think that the converter would cause it as a standalone issue. the led in the harness that goes from the truck to the junction box was the first place to look. but since you have the power lead goes back to the battery so that is were your source is coming from. so now you will need to check the wireing from the juction box back into the camper. Did you unhook the the harness at the juction block? the other thing is the lights that you turn on with a switch like the outside cargo lamps, they also have power all the time and the switch completes the ground. so if they are near some of the running lights there may be a short there also. Take your time with this some place i'll bet you will find a screw that pierced the harness. good luck and have plenty of adult beverages for after you find it
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
dhopkins52

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
X 2 ....... check the plug and the junction box it goes into.
I beleive i found it. In the junction box everything looked OK, but then I took the tape off the wires. Found some wires fused together from heat. Probably due to me keeping the shore line on while in storage at the house. Will make the repairs and post results.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
dhopkins52

Thanks everyone your comments,they were very helpful. I Found three circuits fused together at the plastic end caps in the junction box where the truck cable makes the connections with the trailer wiring. Cut burnt wire away, put on new plasitic twist caps and now everything is good to go. Could this have been from a lightning strike or caused by heat from the battery charging system ??
Old 07-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
SAABDOCTOR

glad you found it but being plugged into shore power should not have caused this. i keep my 5er plugged in all year long with no melted wires. so once you have it fixed maybe leave the cover off the box and twist the pigtail to the truck and see if the wires get hot again ... may need a new pigtail. now go have a you deserve it!!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote