Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
LZScout

Do I Need a Battery Box?

My new Alpine 3250RL has the battery mounted in the front right storage beneath the hydraulic pump and reservoir. The dealer put the 12V deep cycle battery in a battery box, which is secured to the RV's battery tray with two metal screws, facing the door opening.

In looking at the battery tray, it looks like if I removed the battery from the box and turned it 90 degrees in the tray, I might be able to add a second battery. The compartment is somewhat closed off in that the exterior walls are sealed and there is a vent above the compartment door. There is no floor to the compartment, the tray is supported by a framework. Do I need to have the battery(s) in a box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

LZScout -
I am not sure of the legal requirements but I would think it would be good practice to have a box for the following reasons:
1) it contains spills and overflow from the battery
2) It helps prevent accidental shorts and contacts with the battery terminals

I would hope that the vent goes to the outside so as to prevent any buildup of fumes or explosive gases that come from the battery.

On our Cougar, I have a battery box that holds 2 6v Trojans. The box has a removable lid with a built in vent hose that is vented directly to the outside.

If your batteries are secured and have adequate ventilation to the outside, then you should be ok. If they are sitting on a tray of some sort that would catch any spillage from the batteries, that would be beneficial. A dedicated battery box may not be necessary.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
LZScout

If there was any spillage from the battery, it would drip on the ground. The vent does allow air to exit the top of the compartment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
MarkS

Remember that any metal that get dripped on the way to the ground, will corrode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
theeyres

The batteries in my Arctic Fox are in a separate compartment on slide out metal trays. No separate plastic boxes. I have never hear of one complaint about that setup. I think most fifth wheels have similar set ups with no problems. As long as you have adequate ventilation I'd set it up like you want.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Artic Fox may have metal trays with batteries sitting on them but most Keystone fifth wheel products have battery compartments (or batteries installed in the front storage compartment) in battery boxes with positive ventilation to the outside. Whether this is "necessary" or whether this is "per RVIA code" or whether this is "just the way Keystone does things" is apparently different from the way Artic Fox does things.

I prefer to have my batteries in plastic boxes so any leakage, condensation or moisture won't accumulate under the battery and cause corrosion. Yes, I've had "metal trays with batteries" in a number of other RV's and eventually they all corroded and made a mess to repair. I'll keep mine tucked away in a box and keep my RV clean, free of battery acid and the resulting corrosion. I'd recommend anyone who is planning to keep their RV for any considerable length of time should seriously consider protecting the RV from battery leakage and the resulting damage it will do.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote