Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2013, 05:05 AM   #1
Pete

Water Heater Problems in my Passport 2590BH

Hi all- I just bought a 2011 Passport GT 2590BH. It was winterized when I bought from a private owner. I am still trying to get familiar with the trailer. I I am having trouble getting the hot water heater to work properly, it is the electric/gas model. I do hear it fire up occasionally but it runs for a short time and when I test the hot water in the fixtures it is luke warm at best then goes cold. Does any one know if I may be missing something?

I also have not been able to find the by pass for winterizing the water heater, with the enclosed underbelly it makes it difficult to follow the lines. When I purchased as I said it was winterized, the drain plug was out. I just replaced and fill the fresh tank and ran the pump, assuming it would fill the water heater tank.

Thanks for and help in advance.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:28 AM   #2
f6bits

I just discovered (yesterday) that mine looks to have the bypass. It's under my lower bunk. Remove the mattress and then the plywood board.

Here's a blurry shot that shows what looks like a bypass valve at the bottom:

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #3
MarkS

If it was winterized, the WH is probably bypassed. It will not fill when bypassed.

Also, do not turn on the electric heater until you are sure the WH tank is full. It will burn out.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

That is the by-pass valve. If the trailer was winterized with antifreeze that valve should have been closed to prevent antifreeze from going into the water heater. The valve is only 1/4 turn to the normal position and the tank should fill with water. If you turned on the electric to the water heater without water in it the element will need replacing.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #5
Pete

Thanks Everyone

Thanks Everyone, I pulled off the panel behind the propane detector/alarm, but did not take the bunk plywood off, I am sure as soon as I do that it will be clear as can be.

One more quick question, how do you adjust the temp of the water(thermostat) on the water heater? I don't see a dial of any sort on the unit.

Thanks again.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Pete,

There is no thermostat adjustment on the water heater. The propane thermostat and the electric thermostat (these are two separate items) are preset and not adjustable. There is also an electric "overtemp monitor" which is behind one of the two black rubber circles on the front of the water heater. If, by chance, your water heater malfunctions and overheats, pressing those rubber discs will reset the overtemp switch. Why are there two discs and only one switch? Hmmmmm Good question, no answers.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
Kristi

Aha! I was also looking for a temp adjustment... at least I know why I didn't find it

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
Pete

Thanks Again

Thanks for the information!!