Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
boytimme

Remove TV in winter?

I've just winterized my Bullet and was wondering, should I remove the televisions from the trailer and store them at home? Trailer sits outside exposed to Northern Ohio winter. TV's would be exposed to sub-zero temperatures if they remain in camper. Both are flat screen LCD's.

2013 Keystone Bullet 248RKS, pulled with:
2012 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCab, 3.5L V6 Eco-Boost, Max Tow Package, 7700# GVWR pkg, 3.73 Axle.
boytimme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
KenBob

I would suspect TVs are not designed to be subjected to sub freezing temps. Depending on humidity, an occasional increase in temps may cause some condensation which could occur on electronics. We have removed the TVs from our Fuzion more for security than temperature. I would cover the TVs with moving blankets, quilts or other insulating material if the TV were to be left in the RV. JMHO.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:30 AM   #3
TAZ23

Quote:
Originally Posted by boytimme View Post
I've just winterized my Bullet and was wondering, should I remove the televisions from the trailer and store them at home? Trailer sits outside exposed to Northern Ohio winter. TV's would be exposed to sub-zero temperatures if they remain in camper. Both are flat screen LCD's.
I am a truck driver for a freight company in far northern Wisconsin and Michigans U P and as part of my job we haul and deliver TV's to buisinesses all year long.They are shipped from distribution warehouses to stores on unheated trucks and kept on unheated docks year round. There are no "keep from freezing" provisions on the transportation or storage of TV's.
I personally have never removed my TV's from our campers and have not had a problem. The owners manuals for my TV's (sansui's) only states that the TV should be allowed to warm up to room temp. before being turned on.
That being said you should do what you are most comfortable with. If leaving your TV's in you trailer is going to worry you until next spring then take them out.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:20 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The term LCD (liquid crystal display) does give cause to be concerned with freezing storage temperatures. Prior to this year, I've left my TV's in the RV during winter storage with no problems. Temperature here can hover at 10-20 below zero F for days at a time. However, this past summer, there were some discussions regarding storage of TV's in cold weather. I did research on manufacturer websites and found that there is a low temperature storage recommendation. Samsung recommends that their LCD TV's be stored between -4°F to 113°F (-20°C to 45°C). I could find no reference to any liquid in plasma TV's, however Samsung posts the same storage temp limits.

Now as for LED TV's, they are actually a LCD TV with LED's instead of florescent backlighting, so they are limited to the same storage limits as LCD's.

After my research last summer, I took my TV's out of the trailer before hauling it to storage this winter. My thoughts are that even though there's been no damage in the previous winter storage, why risk it further? additionally, there's always the possibility of theft, so I might as well slip it off the stand and store it under the bed in the spare bedroom. Now when the house gets broken into, I guess I'll think that was a wrong choice.... However.....

Others may have a different vantage, this is just my "thought on storage"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
boytimme

Thanks folks!
I think, even though it seems that there will be no problem leaving them in, I will remove the tv's for the winter. They are pretty easy to remove.

2013 Keystone Bullet 248RKS, pulled with:
2012 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCab, 3.5L V6 Eco-Boost, Max Tow Package, 7700# GVWR pkg, 3.73 Axle.
boytimme is offline   Reply With Quote