Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2012, 06:22 AM   #1
rrohrer

using trickle charger

If using trickle charger over winter kept on battery do I need to worry about refilling with water. I don't think it will dry out, but not sure. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

That depends on the type of battery you have, how cold/warm the storage area is, and some other things that affect the potential for evaporation. I'd suggest checking it once a month just to be sure. If after a couple months it hasn't changed electrolyte level, then you could consider going to once every 2 months.

I'd at least check it the first time to be sure. Batteries are not "that" expensive, but why risk having to pay $100 just to save a couple of minutes once a month....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #3
KenBob

A "trickle" charger can cause a battery to lose water as it is constantly charging the battery.

A "float" charger charges the battery up to a certain voltage, stops charging, then continues charging as the battery voltage drops to a certain voltage.

Checking the electrolyte levels in either case is a good practice.

Also checking the charger for proper operation is a good practice too. LED lights, plugged in, and hooked to battery doesn't always mean the charger is working. Chargers fail too.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:12 AM   #4
rrohrer

thanks. I'll try to check water level monthly. I guess the charger may technically be a "float" charger. It turns off every so often. and then when battery needs it it turns back on and gives a charge for a while.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:18 AM   #5
rrohrer

ok. just so I know checked charger box. It says battery maintainer and float charger. maintains battery until voltage drops so low then gives a quick charge to get the voltage back up and switches back to maintain mode. I used for yrs on my motorcycle batteries. now after 2 kids my hobby has moved to camping- and so I thought it a good idea to keep it on the rv battery over winter.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
Little Guy

Thumbs up

Battery Tender! This unit will maintain your battery without overcharging or cooking off the battery. I have used these for years on my Harley and the DW's car when we are out for extended stays. I have gotten great life out of my batteries with no worries of overcharging.
2012 Laredo 294RK TT "Larry"
'09 Chevy 2500HD Crewcab, 6.0L vortec (gas)
*Wishin' for a diesel*
Equal-I-Zer sway control hitch

Life is good!
Little Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

rroer the battery naintainer is the same as the "Battery tender" it will do what you are asking. i use them on my rv and the saab that i store for the winter. i check the level of electrlite every three mos. never had to add any but it just makes me feel like i am doing something improtant. then when the dw is not looking i can go play with an r/c car or airplane
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:49 AM   #8
rrohrer

everyone.