Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
whamilton

Level up jack leaking.

I have that wonderfull new level up jack system on my Alpine 3500re. It saves so much time and agravation, but most of the six jacks are damp with oil and the one on the back right is really wet. These jacks bolt together both on the cylinder end and on the tube end. I am assuming that they have o-rings at both ends, does anyone know if they offer repair kits for these? I have tightened the o-ring fittings on the jacks and the jic fittings on the hoses. ( All were tight ) Any help would be appreciated!!
whamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
closesquarters

Sorry to hear your Level-up is on the fritz. Wish I could help, but I'm not mechanically handy whatsoever. I have the level-up system on my Montana. Curious if you have called your dealer, Keystone, or Lippert about this issue? If so... what have you learned from them? Has this problem been occurring over time, or did you just notice it all at once? Please update how you end up fixing this issue... and how you are treated by Lippert, Keystone... etc... Good luck!

2012 Keystone Montana 3582RL
2011 Duramax 3500 short box
closesquarters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
whamilton

level up jack leaking

The trailer is still under warranty. I stopped at a dealer that services keystone products and they could'nt find where but agreed that it was leaking. I just wanted to make sure it is written down in case it got worse after the warranty was up. Update: we just got back from Lake Ontario and the leak is starting to get worse. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow to see if they will ship me a new jack and then let me send them back the old one. I will let you know what they say.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
gbsb

What year is your Alpine and is this the first problem with the level up system? The reason I'm asking is I have an appointment on the 1st of August to have the system installed on my Toyhauler. At $4800.00 I don't want a problematic system installed. Thanks and good luck with the repair.
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
whamilton

level up jack leaking

She is a 2012 purchased last October. This system other than the leaks has been a blessing. Push one button to raise the trailer up enough to get the truck out of the way. Push another button and the trailer levels itself. ( Awesome ) These cylinders however are not like the ones I'm used to. These seem to be specially made for rv's.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
Ron

After buying our new Montana and taking a trip to AZ this winter, I noticed 1 jack had some residue on it so we pointed it out to the dealer on the way home and they replaced it. I have heard that lippert doesn't repair but just have the dealer replace them, also heard that the earlier ones had some issues.........good luck as I will be keeping a closer eye on mine in the future. Happy Campin.......Ron
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
whamilton

level up jack leaking

Thanks for the info! Still trying to get ahold of a dealer ( not where I bought it ) that is close to home that works on Keystone. I hope it's true that the earlier ones are being replaced by more reliable jacks! Your rig is very similar to ours. We have a bigger shower but you don't have to run and jump to get into bed. Oh well, always a trade-off

thank again

Bill n Laurie
Old 07-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
gbsb

have you had any luck getting jacks repaired what are they saying. don't want to have a system put on with no dealer network for repairs if needed
Old 07-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #9
Ron

So far the trailer is still under warranty so it's keystone's problem so far but i will soon be checking on a repair kit so if need be I can do the repair myself. I noticed 2 days ago that it looks like another one is leaking, so this September it will go in for warranty work again........Happy Campin.........Ron

Old 08-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
Ron

Level up repair kit...not

UPDATE:

Called Lippert today and they do not make a repair kit for the hydraulic cylinder on the Level Up System, what a bunch of crock. So I guess when warranty is up and we have a leaking cylinder again we just have to purchase a new one at an inflated price. I will be tearing one down one day im sure and will post what I find and if you can buy the parts yourself at a supply house. We are in the Excavation business and sometimes have to rebuild them with of course seal kits. Ron

Old 08-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #11
whamilton

level up jack leaking

The dealer has agreed to swap out the leaking jack. And they are allowing me to bring them the old one without having to bring the whole trailer!!! The other jacks still look damp, but they say this is normal. Working on bucket trucks for a living tells me this is a crock!
Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by whamilton View Post
The dealer has agreed to swap out the leaking jack. And they are allowing me to bring them the old one without having to bring the whole trailer!!! The other jacks still look damp, but they say this is normal. Working on bucket trucks for a living tells me this is a crock!
X2 It definetly it is a crock not able to rebuild a cylinder, how did they build it in the first place?

Old 08-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #13
gbsb

Like you I have worked on Hyd. for the last 37 years havent found a cylinder yet that couldn't be repaired by a machine shop. Cost is another issue. The system does have a 1 year warranty on it. We had the system installed last week at the Lippert Factory. Pleased so far agan good luck.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #14
Ron

Another Update

I checked on a new 14K Lippert Level Up cylinder from a dealear in CA. and they want $360.00 +tax + freight (ouch), and Lippert still does not offer a repair kit so I guess at some point I will be tearing one down and I'm sure I can get repair parts for them and will post the out come at that time. The front jacks are 18K just for your reference in the future. Happy Campin...........Ron