Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2021, 03:11 AM   #41
gearhead

My next move, if there is one, would be the MORryde independent suspension. No more rusty springs waiting to break or shackles to fail in the middle of nowhere. No more axles to bend and lose alignment. Just a square spindle with round rubber tubes. I have torsion axles on my tandem axle boat trailer with a 21' fiberglass center console boat on it. I love it. Launch in salt water and no worries about corrosion. Each wheel reacts to the road with no effect on the others. Also have it on a 6X10 Aluma utility trailer. I regularly tow that with a riding mower on it to Louisiana. Can't tell it's back there.
Of course this next improvement is dependent on the Treasury Secretary's approval, which ain't too promising right now.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 05:18 AM   #42
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post

I may be wrong, but I get a sense that because I've asked for objective analysis of how the ride is better, you've taken my query as a personal criticism, which was not my intent at all.

I'm not sure where you will find an "objective analysis" of the MorRyde suspensions that don't involve an individual's analysis which then makes it somewhat "subjective".

I owned my 1st MorRyde suspension out of pure happenstance. The level of trailer I bought came with the upgraded MorRyde suspension standard and it was touted as top of the line. Immediately from observation inside and outside I knew the ride was different. It "floated" over highway irregularities (try I20 thru LA) vs bouncing and hopping. The interior doors, drawers etc. stayed shut better. That can be considered both objective and subjective.

I've talked to many owners who have, or have installed, MorRyde suspensions. Not talked to a one that was unhappy or said they couldn't wait to put a standard suspension back on their trailer. Their opinions would be based on some sort of objective observations I would assume along with some subjective opinions.

I did not take your comments/questions as criticism. If you're happy with the way your trailer rides/handles I wouldn't be looking for another suspension. If you're looking for some in depth statistical analysis that used sophisticated test gear performed by some independent lab...I've never seen it so stick with what you've got. I've just seen it work.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:24 AM   #43
DavidAndDonna

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Performance Trailer Braking came down to Liberty Texas to convert us to discs. Preston and Alysa got here about 10am, it's almost 3pm and they are getting close to finished. Nice clean job and looks real good. Test drive it soon.
Coming your way Danny!
this is one mod we're seriously considering, looks great!
Old 10-25-2021, 04:44 AM   #44
ChuckS

No doubt the disc brake setup would provide better braking and may be easier to maintain.. That said Ive been towing my 2014 Alpine all over the west for the last 8 years... Stock suspension and brakes.. Both Dexter.. I find them easy to maintain, reliable and easy to work on...

I do any repairs, annual maintenance, etc myself.. I'll keep the cash in my pocket and continue to run the OEM setup

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:23 AM   #45
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAndDonna View Post
this is one mod we're seriously considering, looks great!
Mine will be done on November 11, and I can't wait..

Not only upgrading to the 13" disc brakes but also installing 9/16" studs and 8K Timken bearings and races.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:56 AM   #46
CedarCreekWoody

With these complete axle replacements I wonder if sealed bearings are an option as well.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:15 AM   #47
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
With these complete axle replacements I wonder if sealed bearings are an option as well.
Not that I'm aware of, grease or oil bath and they would rather not do the oil bath.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:22 AM   #48
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Mine will be done on November 11, and I can't wait..

Not only upgrading to the 13" disc brakes but also installing 9/16" studs and 8K Timken bearings and races.
Once finished you'll never want to own another RV without disc brakes.
That's one upgrade that's well worth the money spent!
PTB installers do a fantastic job!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:35 AM   #49
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Not that I'm aware of, grease or oil bath and they would rather not do the oil bath.
I have oil bath on a boat trailer but sealed would be nice on a camper.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:55 AM   #50
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Once finished you'll never want to own another RV without disc brakes.
That's one upgrade that's well worth the money spent!
PTB installers do a fantastic job!

I will have to agree with this 100%. Having pulled RVs for many years, all with drum brakes, they all behave the same way. The same delay and the same stopping limitations. Even with "never adjust brakes" as we had it left something to be desired. Enter the disc brake installation - unless you've done it it's pretty hard to imagine the difference it makes....huge. It's like the trailer is just part of the truck braking system, not a big box trying to push you.

Best mod I've ever done and money WELL spent (quite a bit). Javi less than 3 weeks!! I'm sure Preston and Alyssa will do a great job then be sure and give us an update.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote