Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2021, 02:48 AM   #1
RickV

Strange AC Issue

We are at a campground near Idaho Falls and it has been around 90 the last few days with no clouds. Due to the heat the AC's are pretty much running constantly once it heats up around noon. The campsite has very little shade. I am having issues with the front AC it works fine for three or four hours then pretty much just quits blowing cold air. It is ducted with the rear Bedroom unit. I have one of those infrared temperature laser probe things and when both are running I am getting readings in the upper 40's to low 50's, once it stops I am getting readings in the mid to upper 50's in the Bedroom and upper 60's in the Front. If I shut off the Front unit for say 20 minutes or so it works fine again for a three or four hours.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:11 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

When that happens have you looked at the coils inside? Is the filter clean? Sounds to me the coils freezing up then thawing during tha off period, then freezing again.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:21 AM   #3
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
When that happens have you looked at the coils inside? Is the filter clean? Sounds to me the coils freezing up then thawing during tha off period, then freezing again.
Can't really see coils inside, the air returns are ducted too. The freezing coils is what I thought too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210617_55928.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	34136  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 06-17-2021, 05:23 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

If the coils are freezing up perhaps running the fan on high would help. Running the fan on low speed sometimes has the coils freezing. If they are freezing you will see a bit of water on the floor during the time you turn the A/C off as they will drip enough for water to get through the filter and onto the floor below.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:42 AM   #5
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
If the coils are freezing up perhaps running the fan on high would help. Running the fan on low speed sometimes has the coils freezing. If they are freezing you will see a bit of water on the floor during the time you turn the A/C off as they will drip enough for water to get through the filter and onto the floor below.
I run the AC's on Auto should I try running them on High instead?

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 06-17-2021, 06:20 AM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I run the AC's on Auto should I try running them on High instead?
If that's the air conditioner that's giving the trouble... before you do anything else... point the registers away from the intakes and then try opening that vent above the sink about 1/2 way.. and see if it make a difference..

Oh.... and to those of you who don't have the hidden A/C units... there is no place to look at anything inside the trailer.. you got to climb up on the roof and remove the shroud...
Old 06-17-2021, 01:30 PM   #7
bobbecky

There should be a freeze sensor in the fins of the evaporator coils that will shut off the compressor. If the sensor has come out of the fins or has failed, that can cause the fins to become a block of ice. Actually had that happen with our trick a couple years ago. The mechanic said he'd never seen that much water drain out from under a truck before. There was so much ice, the air flow was almost down to nothing. This is a photo of the freeze sensor with the wire that goes to the A/C control. There are other styles, some with just a thin probe that is jammed into the fins.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	freeze sensor.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	34147  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:24 AM   #8
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
If that's the air conditioner that's giving the trouble... before you do anything else... point the registers away from the intakes and then try opening that vent above the sink about 1/2 way.. and see if it make a difference..

Oh.... and to those of you who don't have the hidden A/C units... there is no place to look at anything inside the trailer.. you got to climb up on the roof and remove the shroud...
Didn't make any difference it blew cold air for a around 3 hours then nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
There should be a freeze sensor in the fins of the evaporator coils that will shut off the compressor. If the sensor has come out of the fins or has failed, that can cause the fins to become a block of ice. Actually had that happen with our trick a couple years ago. The mechanic said he'd never seen that much water drain out from under a truck before. There was so much ice, the air flow was almost down to nothing. This is a photo of the freeze sensor with the wire that goes to the A/C control. There are other styles, some with just a thin probe that is jammed into the fins.
I did notice that there was no water dripping from the mini gutter yesterday until I turned the Front AC off. We were sitting outside and after a little while water started dripping from the gutter so I am thinking that it may be the sensor you mentioned. We are traveling to Island Park, ID today and the weather will be cooler so not sure if I'll need the AC or not but, the next time it stops I will climb up on the roof and check out for frozen coils and the sensor (if I can find it). I see from your info that you live in Box Elder we will be staying in Piedmont for a month and a half starting July 7 is there a good RV Repair Shop or Mobile Repair that isn't slow as Molasses in the Rapid City area in case I can't get this figured out?

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 06-18-2021, 05:25 AM   #9
ChuckS

Your Alpine has the NXT series A/C unit on the front. If you don’t know how to remove the styrofoam cover once you remove the external roof A/C cover this video will show you…

Check location of the freeze sensor.. I’ve snapped a pic from this video and the yellow arrow points to location of the freeze sensor..

Also look at the large hole once yo7 have cover and styrofoam removed at condenser where air flows down into the Alpine overhead ducts.. look at edges where the duct meets the A/C unit and you WILL find gaps..reseal this with aluminum HVAC tape when you get a chance..

You ain’t find that in Island Park and if you did they would want three times the cost… I live in Idaho and know that area quite well

See image…

Vide link…
https://youtu.be/FKfvMwhf784
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0AE7AC24-131D-4E55-ACF4-A7E4D9C944E9.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	314.1 KB
ID:	34160  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:33 AM   #10
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Your Alpine has the NXT series A/C unit on the front. If you don’t know how to remove the styrofoam cover once you remove the external roof A/C cover this video will show you…

Check location of the freeze sensor.. I’ve snapped a pic from this video and the yellow arrow points to location of the freeze sensor..

Also look at the large hole once yo7 have cover and styrofoam removed at condenser where air flows down into the Alpine overhead ducts.. look at edges where the duct meets the A/C unit and you WILL find gaps..reseal this with aluminum HVAC tape when you get a chance..

You ain’t find that in Island Park and if you did they would want three times the cost… I live in Idaho and know that area quite well

See image…

Vide link…
https://youtu.be/FKfvMwhf784
Thanks for the info Chuck. I have been to Island Park a few times and know exactly what you mean. Heading up to Kalispell when we leave Island Park will probably wait until we get there.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:40 AM   #11
ChuckS

This is a good pic of what you will most likely find when you take shroud off that front unit.. clean the condenser and remove the bundle of wires they stuff in the duct and then tape around edges where you will find gaps
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	456A94D0-4F2F-4311-98AC-3B342AC8FF87.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	466.2 KB
ID:	34161  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 03:41 AM   #12
RickV

I was gonna wait until we got to Rapid City to mess with the ACs because we we will be there for over a month. But a few days ago the front (the problem) one started working like it is supposed to. Not sure if it is because of all the traveling we have done on the smooth highways we have been traveling or what but all seems well. I can point the laser into the ducts and I am seeing upper 40's in the front and lower/mid 40's in the rear and the front doesn't seem to stop cooling like it was doing before. We are in Sheridan, Wy and yesterday temps were over 90 and was able to maintain mid 70's inside.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK