Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2021, 08:45 AM   #1
KenJFerguson

Where should I look for the 10A fuse for Flojet water pump

Naturally Murphy's Law applies to every "simple" job.

In this case, while using the water pump and winterizing siphon to pump vinegar from jugs to the hot water tank for my first ever cleaning/descaling of the heating element (Bullet 22RBPR trailer) the pump shut-off and would not restart.

I figured the possible cause was that it had been sucking air-only as I switched from one jug to the next and after inserting into the last jug there was no sucking of vinegar despite the pump running. The pump ran for quite a while as I tried everything to get vinegar moving again. Then the pump just quit.

Lighted switch as the control panel lights up in the on position but nothing happens at the pump. There is 10A fuse in-line of the red hot wire to the pump as the Flojet manual shows and no other fuse in the water pump compartment.

Thinking I had burned out the pump I removed it, took it to my workbench and touched the leads to a 12V cordless drill battery.

Voila pump works! Must not be getting power to it which indicates a blown 10A fuse BUT where the heck is that fuse located between the pump and the control panel switch??

Called Camperworld and spoke to a very nice person in service who told me that sometimes there are fuses, sometimes there are not, and if there is it could be anywhere in the line.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-06-2021, 08:50 AM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJFerguson View Post
Naturally Murphy's Law applies to every "simple" job.

In this case, while using the water pump and winterizing siphon to pump vinegar from jugs to the hot water tank for my first ever cleaning/descaling of the heating element (Bullet 22RBPR trailer) the pump shut-off and would not restart.

I figured the possible cause was that it had been sucking air-only as I switched from one jug to the next and after inserting into the last jug there was no sucking of vinegar despite the pump running. The pump ran for quite a while as I tried everything to get vinegar moving again. Then the pump just quit.

Lighted switch as the control panel lights up in the on position but nothing happens at the pump. There is 10A fuse in-line of the red hot wire to the pump as the Flojet manual shows and no other fuse in the water pump compartment.

Thinking I had burned out the pump I removed it, took it to my workbench and touched the leads to a 12V cordless drill battery.

Voila pump works! Must not be getting power to it which indicates a blown 10A fuse BUT where the heck is that fuse located between the pump and the control panel switch??

Called Camperworld and spoke to a very nice person in service who told me that sometimes there are fuses, sometimes there are not, and if there is it could be anywhere in the line.

Any suggestions?
Mine is in the fuse panel with all the others...
Old 05-06-2021, 08:56 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I have two fuses on my water pump. One is in the pump wiring about a foot from the pump motor, the other is in the power center, in the "vertical line of DC fuses along the right side when you open the power center door. It's marked "PUMP" (scribbled in black sharpie by someone who can't write any better than most doctors) In other words, barely legible...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:29 AM   #4
B-O-B'03

I have the same camper and the fuse block is in the power center, under the pantry.

There was no label for the water pump fuse on my unit.

If your pump was running, but not pumping, it might have sucked up some debris into the pump head (I added an in-line strainer to mine) and it is easy to take apart and clean.

The motor might also have a heat protection circuit, perhaps that is why it stopped?

-Brian
Old 05-06-2021, 01:09 PM   #5
KenJFerguson

These are all great suggestions.

1. Per the manual the first place I looked was along the red power wire coming out of the pump but no fuse there JRTJH.

2. Went to the main breaker box under the pantry. More 15A fuses in the panel than items typed by the factory on the panel label and nothing that says anything related to "pump" or "water. It's impossible to tell if one of those fuses is blown without pulling the fuse so I figure I just got to pull until I find the bad one. Eureka, pulled the first one and the little red light beside that fuse socket came on! Aha... that must mean that a blown fuse is indicated by a red light. Alas, no red lights on so therefore must be no blown fuse in the panel Javi.

3. Taking your idea B-O-B maybe that's why it worked on the bench when I energized it... it reset itself somehow when I removed it ... cooled, pressures changed, whatever. So next step is reinstall and see if it powers up. IF not, take a look at what is going on with the switch in the control panel ... perhaps the light is working but pole feeding to the battery is not.

Stay tuned... and thank you all for the rapid responses.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:14 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Those fuses have an opening at the top so you can just use a test light. Poke on each side, light on good no light on one side bad. I use any ground as they are ALL tied together.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:27 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Just a quick note about the "blown fuse LED"...

That little red light will only illuminate if there is a load on the fuse circuit AFTER the fuse blows....

As an example. If the fuse on a ceiling light circuit blows AND all the lights are turned off, the "blown fuse indicator" will be off... Turn on any one of the ceiling lights on that circuit, you create a load on the circuit and the "blown fuse indicator" illuminates. Turn that ceiling light off again and the "blown fuse indicator" will go off.... It's all dependent on having a load on the circuit AND a blown fuse... It takes both to turn on the light...

So, if your water pump is on a circuit by itself and the pump switch is OFF, then there will be no "blown fuse indicator"... Turn on the water pump switch, it creates a load and the "blown fuse indicator" will come on....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:45 AM   #8
KenJFerguson

More great tidbits of knowledge JRTJH and Chuckster!

Turned the water pump switch on and no blown fuse lights came on the fuse panel.

Moved on to the suggestion from B-O-B about an overheating or pressure switch possibly resetting after I disconnected the pump which is why it worked on the bench. Reinstalled the pump in the trailer, hit the switch on the control panel, and away it went. So no blown fuse at all but some kind of internal protection switch that shut the pump down after too long sucking air.

Many lessons learned from you all about how the pump works and how to troubleshoot.

Other things learned:
1. these pumps sell for only $70.
2. the screws securing the pump would not reverse out of their holes with a screwdriver as the crappy luan is rotting, had to pull them out with pliers. Re-installed with fatter, longer screws... floor replace is on the big project this coming winter.
3. This was a BIG BONEHEAD move ... make sure the city water is disconnected or at least turned off at the spigot BEFORE disconnecting the outlet side of the pump... bit of a flood while holding my thumb like a Dutch boy over the end of the port fitting and screaming at my wife to turn the tap off. Many beach towels were needed to soak up that mess before the luan absorbed it all.

Tags
fuse, water, water pump