Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2021, 03:15 PM   #1
dalamarjj78

Battery Help

I'm having issues with our TT's battery. Long story short, our trailer was at the dealership for repairs for the winter (for 4 months) and now the battery won't hold a charge.

Last night I connected to shore power and let it charge for 24 hours. Once I disconnected from shore power I saw the battery was fully charged. I then extended the awning and slide and the battery was dead.

This particular battery doesn't have any place to add water to it so I can only assume that leaving it connected over the winter while it was at the dealership ruined the battery.

I plan on calling the dealership tomorrow to see if they'll replace it since our TT is still under warranty but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

In the event they won't help is there anything I can do to try to salvage this battery?

Any suggestions on a replacement that won't break the bank?

Also, we have a camping trip planned next weekend. We'll be at a state park so we'll connect to shore power. But given the scenario with our battery, will there be a possibility for causing any damage to our TT if we camp for a few days on shore power with a sketchy battery?

The battery is a M24-930ST.

Thanks!

2022 F350 XLT CCSB SRW 7.3L 4.30 Gears
2021 Keystone Bullet Ultra Lite 273BHS

dalamarjj78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:23 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

You have a sealed battery that is now junk, You do need to replace it. Is it the original one installed by the dealer? If so I would have them replace it and install a battery cutoff. When not using the trailer disconnect by turning off the switch or removing one of the cables at the battery. Any plans to dry camp (no hookups) in the future?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:23 PM   #3
travelin texans

Sorry to say, that battery is toast. If plugged into shore power for the weekend you shouldn't hurt any of the equipment with that battery.
You can pickup a Duracell group 27, that should fit in the same box, at Sam's Club for about $150.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:30 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Danny, are you sure a gp27 fits in a Gp24 box?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:35 PM   #5
dalamarjj78

Thanks everyone. We have a battery cutoff switch (which I always use when the trailer is at home). Unfortunately, the dealer didn't seem to use it while it was in their possession.

We almost always use shore power (and had a 30amp receptacle installed at the house).

My main concern was whether or not using shore power with a bad battery for a weekend would cause more expensive problems.

Old 04-11-2021, 03:36 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalamarjj78 View Post
Thanks everyone. We have a battery cutoff switch (which I always use when the trailer is at home). Unfortunately, the dealer didn't seem to use it while it was in their possession.

We almost always use shore power (and had a 30amp receptacle installed at the house).

My main concern was whether or not using shore power with a bad battery for a weekend would cause more expensive problems.
You should be okay.

Old 04-11-2021, 03:51 PM   #7
dalamarjj78

When shopping for a replacement battery, what should I be looking for? A quick Amazon search for "RV battery" returns some very expensive results so I want to make sure I'm looking for the right thing.

Is it safe to assume that a "Group 24 Marine & RV Battery" would work? Would using a different group (like 27) work as long as it fits inside the box that's already installed?

Sorry, I'm new at this and don't really understand the difference between the groups. And obviously, I want to make sure I don't make things worse by buying the wrong thing in the event the dealer won't replace the one that came with the trailer.

Old 04-11-2021, 04:08 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

A gp27 is larger and provides more amp hours. Amp hours is important if you dry camp, not so much if you only camp with hookups.

Your looking for a battery that has amp hours listed not CCA as that is a starting battery (auto) and not a true Deep Cycle. I would just go to the local auto parts store or even Walmart.

Old 04-11-2021, 04:21 PM   #9
rhagfo

Well we have a Interstate RMS-27 in our 5er. The park we were hosting in had a nine day power outage, that six year old battery would run our furnace in mid 30 degree temps for 11+ hours.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:33 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well we have a Interstate RMS-27 in our 5er. The park we were hosting in had a nine day power outage, that six year old battery would run our furnace in mid 30 degree temps for 11+ hours.
SRM is much better than DP in my opinion.

Old 04-11-2021, 04:43 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalamarjj78 View Post
I'm having issues with our TT's battery. Long story short, our trailer was at the dealership for repairs for the winter (for 4 months) and now the battery won't hold a charge.

Last night I connected to shore power and let it charge for 24 hours. Once I disconnected from shore power I saw the battery was fully charged. I then extended the awning and slide and the battery was dead.

This particular battery doesn't have any place to add water to it so I can only assume that leaving it connected over the winter while it was at the dealership ruined the battery.

I plan on calling the dealership tomorrow to see if they'll replace it since our TT is still under warranty but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

In the event they won't help is there anything I can do to try to salvage this battery?

Any suggestions on a replacement that won't break the bank?

Also, we have a camping trip planned next weekend. We'll be at a state park so we'll connect to shore power. But given the scenario with our battery, will there be a possibility for causing any damage to our TT if we camp for a few days on shore power with a sketchy battery?

The battery is a M24-930ST.

Thanks!

That's a 2021 trailer, new I assume, held at the dealership for 4 months and comes back with a ruined battery. They did that and did it due to a lack of taking care of your RV. The same thing happened to me and they ruined 2 brand new batteries (after 3 months). When we all finished our "conversation" I had 2 new batteries and a $100 gift certificate. Take you issue up with the dealership management and get a free new, proper battery.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:22 PM   #12
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Danny, are you sure a gp27 fits in a Gp24 box?
No!
Sorry! Don't think it will.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery