Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2021, 08:00 AM   #21
Ken / Claudia

I think the question is very much subjective as others said. But, with that said in current RV 3 times it's been in teens F at night 15-18. Much warmer by midday. Past RVs around 0 f and truck said -3 lowest in the mornings. I was comfortable. Advice is you need to plan for cold temps by wearing more clothes. I suppose this was as much about the unit as the people. If temps do not raise above freezing daily the RVs start to have freeze problems. I dry camping in cold temps while hunting, you use more power and propane and plan for that also. Leaving the furnace all day will kill the batteries, we have though about leaving generators on all day while no one is at camp but that could cause other safety problems. So, when freezing is a 24 hr event, winterize the water system or plan on freeze breaks.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:36 AM   #22
Tigger too

Lowest temp

Currently in our Sprinter 5th wheel. Lowest temp so far this winter has been 12 degrees. Staying quite warm with the thermostat set at 73. (Burning tons of propane). We would back off of the temp, but have already lost water to the bathroom. First cold, next day hot. We finally got it flowing again and are leaving the faucets on a trickle. We have a heated freshwater hose and the pipe stand has heat tape. Not sure how this trailer is 0 rated. We froze up at 16 degrees ��
Tigger too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 01:37 PM   #23
xrated

When I was in my thirties and an avid deer hunter, we almost always hunted in the Dec. 2nd season in IL. Somewhere along in 1985 or 1986 myself and three of my hunting buddies took our tents and headed to Southern IL for the Dec. hunt. Pitched our tents and on opening morning work up to 15 degrees. Fortunately, I owned a great sleeping bag and I had a Coleman propane lantern in the tent, so when I woke up that morning, I slipped my hand out of the sleeping bag, fired up the lantern and waited until it was maybe 50 degrees before I crawled out and got dressed. I can only think of one reason for what I did.....young and dumb!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:46 PM   #24
Jim2366

Winter camping, 10 to 30 degrees we stay winterized and just use the toilet. I make sure the propane is full, bring an electric heater, electric blanket and down blanket. Dishes are washed outside just like tent camping. Hot Coffee and we are good to go. Also I bring water in 5 gallon jugs.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:11 PM   #25
Coyote1969

I’ve been camping in my 2015 Keystone Cougar 28RLS at 1F kept the place toasty at 70F with the furnace. Not gonna lie, went through a lot of propane! Learned My lesson and now we supplement with a small 750 watt heater. No issues and had the whole campground to ourselves! I love camping in the off season in BC at Provincial parks :-)
Old 02-14-2021, 05:29 PM   #26
Laredo Tugger

While we are on the subject of fuels that keep us warm, here is an interesting article.

https://www.rvtravel.com/rvers-propa...ge-affect-you/

RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:35 AM   #27
DDuncan51

It all depends on the RV. I don't know about your Outback, we have a 2012 Keystone 1/2 ton 5th wheel w/Arctic Package. It's amazing. When I first bought it, I noticed the heater didn't seem like it was putting out much hot air, but it does the job. We live in the Uinta Basin in Utah. In winter the temperature regularly drops into the single digits, frequently below zero. Many times, we've used it as a guest house when friends and family visit. Everyone has stayed comfortable. Personally we've camped out when it was in the teens. There was no problem. It keeps the temperature comfortable.
DDuncan51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:09 AM   #28
Danimal713

We upgraded our 2005 RVision C243 hybrid ast Spring during early VID season. We found a little-used 2017 Crossroads Sunset Trails 291RK on side of road for sale and the poor guy was just furloughed from work (jet engine mechanic) and upside down on the trailer. We helped him out and saved about $10K on an upgrade. It "claimed" to have Extreme Weather Package (BUAHAHAHAHAHAHA- and I saw a pig fly by too!). We had it out in just below freezing last Oct and it was comfortable but a little chilly. We used 1/2 of a 20# propane tank over night! I have since opened the underbelly and added foam pipe insulation to all the pipes and some extra insulation left from adding some to my shop. It is closed cell foam with foil on both sides (claimed R-17). I added to inside frame rails and a sheet across bottom under the sheet of plastic. I also foamed all holes from belly into trailer (there were some extra large ones) which also will help stop vermin from intruding. The other improvement was to add a space heater inside (750/1500W does add some heat and cuts propane usage). We opted for one that looks like a fireplace for some added ambiance. We also found the small space heater we used to use in old trailer so will find separate circuit and run both when in cold temps. When DW retires, we will also upgrade tanks to 2-30# for added capacity and decent dual batteries if needed. I do have HF solar panels that actually worked very well when we camped in Elkmont in Smokies (we live close) and it kept the battery cranked. It didn't do quite so well later in season at Cataloochee in heavy trees and many clouds. I had to connect truck to trailer to get slide in. But it is quite possible to camp in cold weather but as someone stated, comfort levels differ from person to person. Don't expect bare feet and T-shirts.
Danimal713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:42 AM   #29
Avman2119

We had a 2010 Keystone Laredo and recently purchased a 2021 240URS. We’ve used both now in below freezing weather. I’ve always ran the heater and water heater while driving to my destination if the temps are below 40 degrees. I have 2 6V golf cart batteries and typically run the heater around 60 degrees day and night. While we’re gone for the day, hunting/hiking, the 100W solar panels charge the batteries. If we know it’ll be a cloudy or snowy day we run the genny for 15-30 minutes in the morning to charge up the batteries and typically run the genny for an hour or so before bed to make sure the batteries are topped off and to charge our phones, etc. This year I plan on either making a skirt or buying a custom one just to keep the cold air from circulating around the floors. The key is to dress for the weather. We walk around in house shoes and wear sweats/layers to keep warm.
Avman2119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 03:11 PM   #30
nitrohorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There is only so much insulation factor that you can pack into a 2" (budget construction) wall. Add R-1 single pane windows, 5" ceiling rafters with a hollow A/C duct running down the middle, holes two or three times the required size through the floor and into a "essentially unheated space with minimal insulation and rails forming the sides and ends"... Then add a 35K BTU furnace that loses about 30-40 percent of the available heat as "exhaust" to the outside. There's very little a 1/4" mylar film "bubble wrap" can do to keep the remaining heat inside a 3/4" (otherwise not insulated) slide floor or to keep the 1" foam filled slide walls warm.....

Then add "dry camping" to the mix: There's not enough battery provided by any RV dealer to run the furnace all night with the "taped on tank heaters" also operating.

So, much of the "survivability" of cold weather camping relies as much on available "outside energy sources" as it does on the R value of the walls and the amount of "unintended leaks" throughout the RV....

Then, "winter comfort" for one person may mean 2 sweaters, fuzzy slippers and a blanket over their shoulders while another person may expect "warm floors for barefoot walking and an RV comfortable to walk around in skivvies when getting out of bed or sitting in the recliner watching the late news before bed.... In other words, 58F is OK for one camper and 78F is cold for the trailer parked in the next site.....
John, you nailed it. Coldest I slept in my former fifth wheel was 17 degrees F. I was parked on a seasonal site for the year. I had the electric fireplace running along with the Suburban propane furnace and a Mr. Buddy heater. I got the inside to the point that I could turn off the furnace and used the fireplace and Mr. Buddy. It wasn't warm, but it was survivable.
The "Arctic" sticker on the wall by the door means that the RV can readily replicate the arctic conditions inside the camper as well. Single pane windows, 2" foam in walls, and more air leaks than one can shake a stick at means difficulties heating the RV. I was told that Lance makes some legitimate 4 season RVs, but I never looked into them as winter camping is not on my wife's list as enjoyable.
2013 Jayco 26RLS
1996 Sunline 21' TT
1977 StarCraft Galaxy 8 pop-up
nitrohorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 03:54 PM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohorse View Post
John, you nailed it. Coldest I slept in my former fifth wheel was 17 degrees F. I was parked on a seasonal site for the year. I had the electric fireplace running along with the Suburban propane furnace and a Mr. Buddy heater. I got the inside to the point that I could turn off the furnace and used the fireplace and Mr. Buddy. It wasn't warm, but it was survivable.
The "Arctic" sticker on the wall by the door means that the RV can readily replicate the arctic conditions inside the camper as well. Single pane windows, 2" foam in walls, and more air leaks than one can shake a stick at means difficulties heating the RV. I was told that Lance makes some legitimate 4 season RVs, but I never looked into them as winter camping is not on my wife's list as enjoyable.
A Lance 2465 (24'11") has an MSRP in the mid $70's. For that price, you can buy 3 or 4 Bullet 2200BH's.... So, for me, like you, winter camping is not "that important" LOL

I'll stay in the house with "unlimited central heat and a couple of fireplaces to sit in front of".... Life's too short to be cold !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote