Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2020, 02:52 PM   #1
tammymcdowell

Where do I pour the antifreeze

Newbie RV owner, and for the life of me I cannot find anything in the owners manual or online that tells me where to pour the antifreeze when winterizing my RV. Does it go where the city water goes? or where the the tank vent is? The owners manual has you put sanitizing solution in through the tank vent. This is a phot of the tank vent and city water connection.

Update:

Thanks all for your replies! I have a 2021 Keystone Outback. I am not sure where the water pump is located, but will look for it today. If its by the water heater, that is up front in the bedroom closet under a floor board, so I'll start there. How important is it do you think to blow out the lines?

Thanks again,

Tammy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water connections.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	31214  
tammymcdowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 02:59 PM   #2
Terry W.

More info is needed. What model camper stand back and take a bigger picture. Is there a lever/valve that is labeled winterize? If so there should be a hose connection that you attach a short section of hose and but into the antifreeze and the pump will pick it up and pump thru camper plumbing.
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 03:07 PM   #3
cavie

Most campers have a 2' hose and valve between the WP and the FW tank. You place the open end of the hose into the Antifreeze bottle and open a fauset and let the pump pull the anti freeze in until it runs out at the fauset. Then you move to a different fauset. It takes about 2 gal to do most any camper.
Old 12-20-2020, 03:45 PM   #4
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammymcdowell View Post
Newbie RV owner, and for the life of me I cannot find anything in the owners manual or online that tells me where to pour the antifreeze when winterizing my RV. Does it go where the city water goes? or where the the tank vent is? The owners manual has you put sanitizing solution in through the tank vent. This is a phot of the tank vent and city water connection.
A lot depends on the camper. Post what model and year you have will help.
Mine is a 2020 keystone 5th wheel 29rks. To winterize mine. You drain the water heater, drain low point valves. Then bypass water heater turn my valve to winterize. Then connect a short hose to the water connector the other end of hose in a jug of rv antifreeze turn on pump and open each faucet hot and cold till antifreeze comes out. Doing both in kitchen, bathroom, shower, toilet and any outside showers you may have. Then pour some down toilet and leave some in the toilet. Mine took 4 gallons to complete.

If you don’t have the system in the newer campers. You can drain water heater. Set water heater by pass and pour your rv antifreeze into your fresh water tank then turn on you water pump and do the same as above open each faucet till antifreeze comes out. Don’t forget the outside showers
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:32 PM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
If pouring into the fw tank it'll possibly take several gallons before the pump would pick up suction + if there's any water left in the tank it may be enough to dilute the anti freeze to the point of being useless.
If your rv is not equipped with the hose as mentioned they sell a kit to add it, which would be a better option than wasting several gallons of anti freeze.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:59 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

If you can locate the water pump, I’m thinking there will be a valve with a length of hose attached. That hose goes into the antifreeze container, turn the valve and run the water pump.

I personally wouldn’t put antifreeze in the fresh tank, odds are like Danny said it would be too diluted after adding enough water for the pump to pick it up. And then trying to get it all out...

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:29 AM   #7
BauerAP

It looks as if you don’t have the complete docking station like would be on some campers. You wouldn’t have the winterize knob/handle but that’s an assumption from the picture.
If it’s a 5er chances are there is an access panel to siphon the antifreeze on the opposite side of the wall in the front pass through as the picture you posted. Ours has a make shift door that swings open where you can stick your hand in and fish out the siphon tube.
If it’s a TT, the tube is probably in the same access panel as the water pump. You want to make sure the water heater has been by-passed as well or you will be filling the entire tank with antifreeze.
BauerAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:34 AM   #8
Schbobby

Every camper first thing is to check out type of water pump. I buy a new input connection, put a 2 -3 foot tub on it, disconnect from the FW tank and connect my adapter put in the gallon bottle of antifreeze. Before tuning on pump, bypass and drain WH and low point drains. Put low point drains on lightly and let the pump rip! Open all valves until it flows pink on hot and cold, wipe up excess it will stain plastic over time. Most missed is outside shower and black flush, I got an outside faucet I can connect to the Blackflush and all good. Put pump back to normal and pure into traps, takes about 2 1/2 bottles!
Schbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 04:14 AM   #9
Northofu1

You also need to find out where water heater is and use bypass so you don't fill it with antifreeze. Some folks feel a little is ok in case there's some residual in valves or tank, but 6 gallons worth is excessive.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 04:17 AM   #10
tammymcdowell

Thank you

Thank you!
Old 12-27-2020, 09:34 AM   #11
Horse Doctor

Another option is to purchase a hand pump that you attach to your city water connection. Opening each faucet, etc., one at a time, will allow you to pump the antifreeze throughout the system,
Horse Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 01:32 PM   #12
Gunny Mike

We have an Outback 341RD and I blow out the lines every year. The water pump maybe under the kitchen sink and a wood panel maybe blocking the view. I usually put one gallon into each holding tank via the sink drain or shower drain and the I put three into the black tank via the toilet.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 03:50 PM   #13
bbells

My manual says to connect an air compressor set at 30 psi to the city water connection. Open faucets one at a time to blow all the water out. Pour antifreeze in the drains of the sinks and showers to protect the u.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:49 PM   #14
tammymcdowell

Thumbs up Problem Solved! 2021 Keystone Outback Antifreeze

Thanks all, we found the preinstalled pump converter to the left of the sofa in q cupboard, behind a wood panel.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:07 AM   #15
cavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Mike View Post
We have an Outback 341RD and I blow out the lines every year. The water pump maybe under the kitchen sink and a wood panel maybe blocking the view. I usually put one gallon into each holding tank via the sink drain or shower drain and the I put three into the black tank via the toilet.
just empty the tanks. no need for antifreeze. 5 years with mine in Ma. 2 gal per year. no problems.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:04 AM   #16
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
just empty the tanks. no need for antifreeze. 5 years with mine in Ma. 2 gal per year. no problems.
Your comment is relevant to only the holding tanks, right? Other procedures are important for traps, lines, and valves.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:33 AM   #17
RVDad89

Quote:
Thanks all, we found the preinstalled pump converter to the left of the sofa in q cupboard, behind a wood panel.
I also have the 341RD, where exactly is it please? Thanks!