Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2020, 05:29 PM   #1
Kyle S

Winter time

Good day all,

I haven't been an RV'er for a number of years and we have purchased a fifth wheel, age and model don't really matter.
I am storing this unit next to my humble abode and wondering about leaving it plugged in from shore power over the winter to keep the batteries charged.
With the boat and other toys, I usually pull the batts and rotate them around the battery tender over the cold months.
I'm wondering if "cycling" the batteries on the RV, (pulling shore power on a regular schedule), or leaving it plugged in over the winter, would be better for battery life?
Pulling the batteries out of the unit would not pose a problem, so I am looking for some recommendations from the brain trust.

Thanks everybody,
Kyle S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:05 PM   #2
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Keep it plugged in if you want. Just make sure to check the water level in the batteries every month. Use a dogbone type adapter if you are plugged into a 15/20 amp outlet as the hockey puck style can be unreliable. Just remember you cannot run the ac on a 15 amp circuit. Happy camping.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:34 AM   #3
roadglide

I’m having luck with 4 amp trickle charger and flipping the disconnect off. I see no reason to have all the parasites working decreasing the longevity to your camper electric system .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:03 AM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
I’m having luck with 4 amp trickle charger and flipping the disconnect off. I see no reason to have all the parasites working decreasing the longevity to your camper electric system .
In essence you're doing the very same thing as leaving the rv plugged in with the disconnect on. Most converters charge in stages depending on rate of charge needed.
Your trickle charger at 4 amps is probably just keeping up with the parasitic draws even with the disconnect off.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:05 AM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
In essence you're doing the very same thing as leaving the rv plugged in with the disconnect on. Most converters charge in stages depending on rate of charge needed.
Your trickle charger at 4 amps is probably just keeping up with the parasitic draws even with the disconnect off.
You still need to check water levels monthly using either method.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:11 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Kyle,

If you elect to leave the batteries in the trailer and plugged in, remember these things:

1. The battery is only connected to the charger if the battery cutoff switch is ON.
2. All of the parasitic drains (LP detector, thermostat, antenna booster and memory circuits in electronics) will draw power from the battery, even with the battery cutoff switch OFF.
3. If you lose power to the trailer, those parasitic draws can draw the battery down to a level where it will freeze, potentially as quickly as 3 or 4 days.

So, if you leave the batteries in the trailer and leave it plugged into the house/garage, remember that if that circuit breaker trips or if the trailer shore power plug is pulled accidentally, there is a possibility that the batteries will discharge within a week. For that reason, "forgetting the batteries and trailer" except for monthly water checks may not be the best way to protect your investment....

As long as "nothing happens" monthly battery water checks are all that's needed. But, there's a lot of things that could affect the trailer that go along with leaving it "powered up during storage"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:46 AM   #7
Lee

Hi,

As stated,.... check on the RV regularly and all should be fine.

My rig stays plugged in 24/7, 365..... except when I am Boondocking.

I also run a small dehumidifier on a timer and a small electric heater on a thermostatically controlled outlet. Comes on at 34* and off at 40*.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:02 AM   #8
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Agree with you there .I have simple ele system with the breaker off generator,slides and CO detector is the only thing working in my camper. I’m using 3 group 29 AGM batteries going on 4 years old with trickle charger. I had a fast charge 15 amp connected because of a fault on my trickle charger. Fast charge excited the plates on the AGM Batteries. I was charging it 15 A with over 15 V that would come on and off for a couple days. I went back to the trickle charger. Call it flashing the batteries work for me Trickle charger has not shown fault mode and charging at a higher rate on the voltmeter inside the camper. I believe flashing the AGM batteries helped . I have not connected my cables correctly for 3 batteries coming from the converter charger. The. Solar and trickle charge wiring are correct for 3 AGM batteries.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:41 PM   #9
Kyle S

Thanks for the advice, I kinda like the idea of a trickle charger with the disconnect off. I didn't consider the parasitic draws.

I checked the batteries today because it's going to get into the teens tonight, everything is looking good.
Kyle S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 04:58 AM   #10
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle S View Post
Thanks for the advice, I kinda like the idea of a trickle charger with the disconnect off. I didn't consider the parasitic draws.

I checked the batteries today because it's going to get into the teens tonight, everything is looking good.
If you're going trickle charge, disconnect the negative terminal of the battery. That's the only way you stop parasitic draws.
I just leave the shore power on. The converter will trickle charge. I have AGM batteries so I don't need to check water. Been doing this for years w/o a problem.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter