Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2020, 05:08 PM   #1
jasin1

Pest control

Hi I’m trying to be preemptive with mice or ants or anything else that may get into my new fifth wheel. Does fresh cab work? Ultrasonic? I met someone at a campground that swore by a “mouse Free” undercoating. I bought some spray foam to seal around plumbing pipes in bath and kitchen and laundry prep area but after looking it seems they could just get in around slide seals or landing gear penetrations. Should I just spray the ground around rv ( enviro friendly)?never have any issues with my boats but they are in the water most of the year
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:26 PM   #2
Csmccharlie

My first winter too. I put steel wool in the couple spots that weren't filled with foam. Put a battery operated sonic repeller on the bottom side in each end of trailer.

And considering doing the 5 gal bucket trap under the trailer. But I guess if the sonic repellers work I won't need it
Csmccharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:58 PM   #3
jasin1

Never heard of the 5 gal bucket trap. Yeah I guess steel wool would be better or bronze wool so it doesn’t rust maybe? I don’t like the idea of spray foaming So that’s why I hesitated with starting that project. I may need access holes to pull wires throughout rv. I’ve had two cans of great stuff pest foam sitting here for me to make up my mind.
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:27 PM   #4
travelin texans

Fresh cab works very well, place a couple boxes (8 pouches) around inside & in storage compartments. If you have power available, mine plugged into 110 volt, the sonic repellers also work well. I also spread Ramick Green pellets underneath & around the outside the RV while being stored.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:04 PM   #5
bobbecky

We've had mouse problems several times in the past, finally got rid of them with an assortment of traps. We now have four sonic devices plugged in and also are using a 100 ft LED rope light laying around the rig outside on the ground. So far, and fingers are crossed, we haven't had another invasion of the critters, so don't know which thing is working.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:41 AM   #6
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

I've used the mouse free spray for two seasons now. It's a bit of a job applying it...I bought the kit with two jugs and the sprayer...you need a compressor, a good back and knees You just spray it everywhere...its like a thick gel that doesn't drip. It has a scent and is slippery...no mice! What's also good about is it lubricates and protects your RV's bottom. For overkill I put out three tiny bowls of peppermint oil inside...mice don't like it and it smells like Xmas
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:17 AM   #7
Frank G

We have lived all of our lives in rural areas surrounded by grain farms. The number one control for rodents is cats and a few snakes won't hurt either. A good dog will keep the rats, chipmunks and squirrels at bay. Keep a clean living space, store all food in plastic sealed containers. This will help with ant and other food seeking critters also. There are many sprays and baits available for ant and bug control, I've found most of them work well. Down here in Florida we have more problem's with ant's in the dog food. They will travel several ant miles to get a meal. We spray around the perimeter and along there interior rout to knock them down.

A unattended unit in storage can turn into disaster in short order for many reasons. A weekly inspection will allow you to empty a live trap and check for water damage.

I have no positive remarks for electronic devices, or drier sheets or witchcraft.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:49 AM   #8
BrooksFam

I keep 6-8 mouse bait blocks under the trailer at all times. I want to feed them outside where they can eat and run off and die, not inside. Also keep non canned food in plastic containers. Don't use wooded spoons for cooking as they absorb some food smells which can attract mice also. Years ago had a few wooded cooking utensils in the drawer and a mouse got in and chewed the ends of the spoons.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:01 AM   #9
Ribtip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
We've had mouse problems several times in the past, finally got rid of them with an assortment of traps. We now have four sonic devices plugged in and also are using a 100 ft LED rope light laying around the rig outside on the ground. So far, and fingers are crossed, we haven't had another invasion of the critters, so don't know which thing is working.
What or how does the led lights work in intrested.
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote