Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2020, 11:35 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDMarlowe View Post
I used this tape for repairs this summer.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I actually had to replace some tape that was coming off that my dealer had installed when they did some work.

I cleaned the underside as well as I could with a car wash wand then wiped the specific areas with denatured alcohol before applying the tape. I smoothed it with as much pressure as I could apply without deforming the coroplast and none of it has come loose since.

To be frank, I honestly believe all of the tapes mentioned by all of the posters will work if the surface is properly cleaned and the tape is "wetted out." Cleanliness is the biggest factor in any adhesive working as designed.
We are talking about two entirely different applications.....

If you are sealing an access hole cut in the coroplast, you're correct any of the tapes mentioned will work as long as the area is properly cleaned and the tape applied using the manufacturer's directions....

The problem comes when you use "any of the tapes mentioned" (except SCRIM tape) under the slide. The DARCO fabric is the "sliding surface upon which the slide floor rides over the wear bar"... ANY DEBRIS OR STICKY SUBSTANCE ON THAT DARCO WILL IMPEDE SLIDE MOVEMENT.....

Take a piece of SCRIM tape and a piece of Gorilla tape, EternaBond tape or FlexSeal tape and compare them... The SCRIM tape is significantly thinner, has a smoother top surface, an extremely thin adhesive layer and once placed on the DARCO, is almost undetectable. It does not "exude tape adhesive (sticky stuff) that causes the wear bar to bind. It does not "curl at the corners" like the other, much thicker tapes.

If you read through the forum, you'll find that people who "spray silicone or other lubricants" on the wear bar have significant issues with "slide binding, slide skipping and slide chatter"... Those are caused by "foreign substances impeding the smooth travel of the DARCO over the wear bar. Those same issues will happen with the adhesive residue on the edges of those "other tapes that stick so good you can't peel them off the slide bottom".... Those problems, even if you don't have them now, will soon start, after you extend/retract the slide several times and the "gorilla tape adhesive smears onto the wear bar"....

I've used all the "logic I know how to use" to convey the idea that "dirty sticky substances will mess up your slide movement" and "anything but SCRIM tape can cause those dirty, sticky substances to contaminate the wear bar".... So, use anything that makes you happy, but if you start having slide problems, look to your own "short cuts" as the most likely cause for your issues....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:21 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^In addition, the problem with contaminating the wear bar is the extremes you have to go to to clean it. Once it gets between the bottom of the slide and the wear bar you can't just "reach in there" and clean it. Nor can you spray it, or etc. etc. Better to never get it in there....and I can attest to what happens. Our last trailer came from the factory (bought new) with a strip of tape right down the middle of one slide, front to back. For what reason I never determined. I never knew it was there until I started having trouble with the slide and then found a ball of black tape under the front of the slide. Went outside got underneath and the wear bar had played havoc with that strip of tape - no seam, no holes, no nothing; just placed there. There was no way to clean the adhesive off that wear bar other than to raise the slide. Even then things were problematic until I put uhmw strips under the slide - problem solved. THAT is the reason I looked under the slides of this new trailer from the gitgo and found our problems right off the bat.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote