Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2020, 07:02 AM   #21
Roscommon48

I have a montana 3402 that we like but we are actually looking at the newly introduced alliances that just came out in January. Montana suddenly is looking dated.

we are looking at the 310 alliance, 34 feet.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:24 AM   #22
KimNTerry

Looking at (drooling over?) the Alliance 310 as well. Need a new truck though.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:00 PM   #23
kcamp99186

Thanks Danny. I read your reply with interest and found it a good read. I appreciate you taking the time to post. I do like some of the Jayco floorplans and details, but, like you, am leaning toward another Keystone product. The MHC is the leading contender at the moment. If you don't mind, why did you decide on the residential fridge? We do boondock a good bit and was wondering how they performed in that situation.

kcamp99186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:24 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcamp99186 View Post
Thanks Danny. I read your reply with interest and found it a good read. I appreciate you taking the time to post. I do like some of the Jayco floorplans and details, but, like you, am leaning toward another Keystone product. The MHC is the leading contender at the moment. If you don't mind, why did you decide on the residential fridge? We do boondock a good bit and was wondering how they performed in that situation.

We no longer boondock. If you do I would consider the residential a show stopper for me and would get the model without one. We (DW for sure) really like the residential thus far and it could be used for a short boondocking trip (a day) if you had the battery power for it. Since I don't boondock I only carry 2 grp. 24s which I would not trust to keep up. I suppose one could go with multiple 6v batteries and some sort of solar but I'm just not interested in doing that - the RV fridge would be handier. A note though; I've read of lots of issues with the large RV fridges whether staying cold or freezing. Personally I would draw the line at 12 cu. ft. but others may have had great luck with larger units.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:05 AM   #25
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryflew View Post
One side note: Very few non-sandwich floors out there and if there where the weights would increase quickly with every foot of length.
I think you will find that once you don't look at "Lite" trailers and 5er's you will get a better floor structure.
We had a 86 King of the Road that had a sandwich floor, bottom layer was 1/4" plywood, then 1-1/2" of styorfoam framed 16" on center with 2X2's covered with 1/2" plywood, very strong and warm.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:02 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Russ. There is a "cost/benefit issue" with any ultra-light or light weight trailer. The manufacturers are "providing a lighter weight trailer (demanded by a segment of the RV buying public) at the expense of "previously considered standard build configuration".

That means the frame rails are lighter weight steel, the wall framing is thinner aluminum tubing, glued or "bonded" together (rather than welded). The wall structure is thinner, lighter weight wood outer layer, the roof decking is thinner OSB or "structure wood" rather than thicker (and heavier) plywood. The floor is thin sheets of "something" (used to be luan, now is a composite that isn't as easily damaged by water intrusion, although there's no history of how well the styrofoam inner core will survive the water).

There was a time that RV floors were 1" or thicker marine plywood. Obviously that was a heavy component in any trailer. As buyers wanted bigger refrigerators, TV's, thicker mattresses, more storage or other features, the manufacturers had to cut weight "somewhere" to make allowances for the added weight of those "features"... There is only so much weight you can put on the tires and frame of any trailer and as the features increased, the weight of the structure was the 'logical place to make cuts"....

What we have today is a "mixed mash (or mush)" of materials, put together in a fashion that looks good, can be built into ever larger trailers and towed by ever smaller vehicles...

The result: Less sturdiness, less reliability, less weather resistance.

Simply put, you can't have your cake and eat it too....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:16 AM   #27
rbrdriver

On our Alpine we put up with the large rv fridge it came with for about 2 years and finally yanked it out and installed a residential fridge. We have been happy ever since. Even got an icemaker now. Of course we are on hookups 90% of the time. We did sell the rv fridge on Craigslist for $600 and so that payed for half the cost of the new resi fridge.
rbrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:48 AM   #28
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcamp99186 View Post
Sorry guys! I've a new TV that I've not yet updated my signature (I'll get that done). Here is the info on it. I believe I should be able to safely tow the weights I'm looking for.
Your truck is exactly like mine, including color! For extended trips we bought another Montana, our 3rd! This one is the 3761FL. Lots of space for separation, the 1/2 bath comes in handy, large rear bath. More storage space than even my wife can fill as the entire length except for the kitchen area is basement storage!

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:10 AM   #29
jsb5717

After a lot of research I landed a lot like Danny. Every manufacture has it's fans and haters. Every one will have lemons that get a lot of online chatter. It seemed to me, when I was looking, that Keystone generally had less negative chatter than most of them.

There are a lot of factors to consider and most of them are subjective so it's really up to the OP to make those decisions.
  • Floor plan - seems the be the first item on most lists. If you don't like the layout then it's the wrong trailer for you.
  • Length/Weight - these can matter based on your home base parking limitations, or what TV you have or want. Choosing a trailer first will partially dictate the required TV. Choosing a TV first will limit what you can tow.
  • Features - sandwich floor, solid wood cabinets, heat pump, etc, etc, etc - make your own list
  • Brand - this has been discussed. It's helpful to narrow your search to brand, or manufacturer
  • Dealer - can be a really big deal and can make or break the entire experience
This isn't exhaustive and you will have your own preferences in each of these categories. For me I start with a list of Must Haves, Nice to Haves, and Deal Breakers. That helps to narrow down to where you spend your time looking.

Good luck!
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:26 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
After a lot of research I landed a lot like Danny. Every manufacture has it's fans and haters. Every one will have lemons that get a lot of online chatter. It seemed to me, when I was looking, that Keystone generally had less negative chatter than most of them.

There are a lot of factors to consider and most of them are subjective so it's really up to the OP to make those decisions.
  • Floor plan - seems the be the first item on most lists. If you don't like the layout then it's the wrong trailer for you.
  • Length/Weight - these can matter based on your home base parking limitations, or what TV you have or want. Choosing a trailer first will partially dictate the required TV. Choosing a TV first will limit what you can tow.
  • Features - sandwich floor, solid wood cabinets, heat pump, etc, etc, etc - make your own list
  • Brand - this has been discussed. It's helpful to narrow your search to brand, or manufacturer
  • Dealer - can be a really big deal and can make or break the entire experience
This isn't exhaustive and you will have your own preferences in each of these categories. For me I start with a list of Must Haves, Nice to Haves, and Deal Breakers. That helps to narrow down to where you spend your time looking.

Good luck!
Then it gets into the "personal preferences" of the people buying a particular trailer... Ever walked into a trailer with your DW and she immediately says, "NO" ??? It might be the brown upholstery that turns her off, or maybe the white porcelain sink or the stainless steel sink or even the design embossed in the vinyl floor covering..... Sometimes, it boils down to "simply color or pattern or ????" that makes or breaks an otherwise "ideal trailer for us"...

Trust me when I say, "If DW doesn't like something about it, nothing the dealership's reputation can do will ever make her "smile" when she walks into it at every camping destination".....

I'm not suggesting to "ignore the important factors" but rather, in addition to (or in spite of) them, you an forget about price, reputation, dealer service capability, finances, or product quality... If momma ain't happy........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:12 AM   #31
CaptnJohn

I've had the opposite problem In a span of 5 years my wife walked into 3 new 5ers that were MUST have. The last one I said I was going to the dealer for a couple little things. She said she would come for the ride. Almost there and she says "while we are there,,," the one we had was her choice less than 2 years earlier. Once long ago I was scheduling service for a new AC, she said "don't bother". We bought a new one then too. We had a TT a while back for 4 months before she said we needed a 5er.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Then it gets into the "personal preferences" of the people buying a particular trailer... Ever walked into a trailer with your DW and she immediately says, "NO" ??? It might be the brown upholstery that turns her off, or maybe the white porcelain sink or the stainless steel sink or even the design embossed in the vinyl floor covering..... Sometimes, it boils down to "simply color or pattern or ????" that makes or breaks an otherwise "ideal trailer for us"...

Trust me when I say, "If DW doesn't like something about it, nothing the dealership's reputation can do will ever make her "smile" when she walks into it at every camping destination".....

I'm not suggesting to "ignore the important factors" but rather, in addition to (or in spite of) them, you an forget about price, reputation, dealer service capability, finances, or product quality... If momma ain't happy........

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:42 AM   #32
dutchmensport

My wife and I both come from camping families, so the RV experience was nothing new to us.

My parents 1963 Phoenix 18 foot travel trailer towed by a 1963 Pontiac Station Wagon. I'm the kid squatting on the ground.

However, when we first got married (35 years ago), we could not afford any type of RV, but we did our share of tent camping. Along came the kids, the dogs, I got out of the military, settled into a 9-5 job and the income started improving.

Our first was a pop-up, when we were caught in one too many rain storms and we had water over, beside, under, and inside that tent with 4 kids, 2 adults and 2 dogs. The wife said, "Get me off the ground or I'll never go camping again!" Thus our first camper. A Starcraft Venture pop-up, towed with a Chevy Lumina Mini Van. The pop-up size was determined by what the mini-van could pull comfortably. I had a good salesman to actually warned me about hurting that mini van if we got the pop-up we really wanted. It was just too heavy. So, the pop-up was selected based on the ability of the tow vehicle. We chose Starcraft over Coleman because we could see too many gaps (sunlight) through cracks and seams in the Coleman. If you can see sunlight, you'll also see rain!

We had that pop-up for 6 years. Paid $6000 for it brand new and traded it for our first hard sided camper and got credit for $4000. We thought that was a pretty good deal. It was used well, but also taken care of extremely well.

Again, caught in cold rain, wet miserable, and the wife said, "Get me something that will keep me dry and warm or I'll never go camping again!"

So we ended up at a dealership one Saturday shortly there after. We told the salesman our price range, what I felt our vehicle would tow (which was now a 1500 Chevy Suburban). We were originally considering used trailers and he showed us some. They just looked beat up to us. And he finally started showing us brand new. I think we looked at a couple dozen of them, and then we stepped into "IT". And we had the "AH HA!" moment and we knew "IT" was "IT". It was a 18 foot (box), 24 foot total length Dutchmen Sport Lite. We had it for 2 years.

https://i.imgur.com/65FJQqX.jpg

It only took 2 months and the transmission burned out on the Suburban. Long story short, we moved up to a used 3500 dually (gas), crew cab, log bed.

https://i.imgur.com/CnOBKeA.jpg

Well, our first true travel trailer wasn't all it was cut up to be. After a short while, the floor plan just simply did not work for us. It had no slides, so functionally, this was probably the very best camper out of all of them we ever had. But it had a corner bed and a jack knife couch. The corner bed was awful for 2 people, the jack knife couch as a bed was horrible with that crack in the middle, and the dinette as a bed was just as uncomfortable as can be. It did not have an oven, and we quickly realized how much we really wanted an oven. It was a completely 100% trouble free camper from the moment we got it. I didn't even have to tighten a single screw. But the floor plan and beds were just not right. It took time to figure this out.

We started "window" shopping for a new campers, but not serious about trading when we found "IT" again! A 31 foot Springdale travel trailer with no slides. We had it for over 8 years.

By now, we'd traded tow vehicles for a diesel 3500 Chevy Dually long bed, crew cab. The old one was rusting too much on the frame. We kept this truck until the fiberglass body spider cracked out so bad, we thought the body would fall off. That was a towing beast of a truck though, and still had a long life ahead with just 100,000 miles. But to fix the fiberglass body (all one piece) was just too costly. But it did tow that Springdale wonderful!

https://i.imgur.com/pwlbuUU.jpg

Again, after 8 years, the floor plan simply did not work any more. We found ourselves using it less and less and when we thought about giving up camping completely, that is when we got our heads together and realized we were loosing interest because of the floor plan. It just didn't work for us any more. It was still a great camper, never had any problems with it, but the floor plan just didn't work any more. Enter the Keystone Outback.

OK, now we were deliberately looking for a new travel trailer. We did not want to go with a fifth wheel, because I was not ready to give up the bed of the pick-up truck. We went to a dealership that was highly recommended. We had some specific models we wanted to look at after searching high and low on the internet. When we went in, I told the salesman what I wanted to look at and he said, OK I'll show them to you. But before we do that, let's sit down and talk. And then he asked, What are you looking for in a camper? What's your criteria. I rattled off the model numbers. He said, "No!" What are you looking for in a camper. Floor plan, size, design. We sat and talked for about 20 minutes and by now, I was getting pretty pi$$ed at him. But we both explained what we were looking for in a camper.

He said He'd show us what we came to see, but before he did, he wanted to show us one first. He said it was one that met all our criteria! It was an Outback 298RE (34 feet long). We reluctantly agreed and followed him and when we stepped inside, it was truly an OH MY GOD moment! Absolutely everything we described that was important to us was fulfilled in that camper! Everything! I think we spent 45 minutes inside that camper, and then I asked him, if we could see the models we originally came to see. He said, Sure, but I bet you'll come back to this one. He took us, showed us, and sure enough, we came back and drove it home!

https://i.imgur.com/vYEyVzA.jpg

So, we had the Outback for 5 years and those were 5 wonderful years! That camper got used almost every day for 5 years. We lived in it, at home in the driveway and camping. Our adult son went through a divorce and returned home with his 1 years little boy. Thus, we ended up staying in the camper and he had the house. (and it's been a good thing too. Here we are 6 years later and we're all still living happily together.)

To be honest, I'm not sure what prompted us to decide to trade the Outback for our current Montana High Country fifth wheel. I think, part of us was ready for a totally different change, and a fifth wheel would be a total change from the familiarity of a travel trailer.

We weren't really actively "looking", but we were kind of window shopping when we were at our local dealership getting propane one day. We decided to snoop around and look at the fifth wheels. Little did we realize what kind of an impact that would make on us. We stepped into a Keystone Alpine front kitchen fifth wheel, and another OH MY GOD moment happened! We stepped into the second Alpine and it was a front living room model and another OH MY GOD moment happened!

To make a long, long story short, I did a lot of searching on the internet for the model we now have, comparing floor plans with our needs. But this much we knew, we wanted a front living room fifth wheel with no island in the kitchen, and I found it. Montana High Country 375FL. It also has a second rear door on the opposite side. OK, the beast is 41.5 feet long, and I had to give up the shell on the pick-up, but we got this one, will full intentions of going full timing in about 9 months from now. Planning ahead for retirement.

And fast forward, we ended up getting yet a 3rd Chevy diesel dually long bed, crew cab 3500 new and been using it ever since. So, this is how our history led us to our selection of the Montana High Country 375FL.

Old 08-30-2020, 11:32 AM   #33
Mikelff

My decision was based on floor plan, then mfg. Was looking for bunk house with lots of space and outdoor kitchen. After looking at all the floor plans I could find, settled on Montana High Country 358BH. 2 slides in bunk house gave max room for our kids and grand kids. Two entry doors and bath and a half. 5 slides total and king bed. Works great! When the kids are not with us we don’t need to extend the rear slides or use the bunk house. Large capacity fresh water tank (62gal.), black tanks (2) and grey tanks (2). Since we don’t boondock, we rarely put more than 20 gallons in the fresh water tank, but if we do, we have plenty of fresh water capacity. Huge “basement “ to tote all our “stuff “. This is the perfect floor plan for family camping. The 358BH is not in the regular lineup after 2018 but Montana told me they still make it on a special order basis. Your dealer can request a price from Montana and delivery time.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:20 PM   #34
InkedMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNTerry View Post
Looking at (drooling over?) the Alliance 310 as well. Need a new truck though.
I was going to suggest Alliance!

Marie

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:47 PM   #35
dmorgan64

We went to an RV show and looked at the 5th wheels there. We liked the layout of a 2013 Cougar 327RES. We did not act right away. We visited the dealer that showed a few months later. We saw the same Cougar on their lot. We bought it from them along with a 2011 3/4 ton ford lariat.

The Cougar had minor issues for the few years we had it.
Propane manifold failure, Rear scissor jack failure, ceiling separator trim falling off, slide out trim falling off (only staples holding this stuff together) and Front Jack motor failure. Other than these items the Cougar worked well!

The Ford Lariat Motor had a catastrophic failure. Not uncommon to the year and engine! We had it repaired and continued the combination.

It was a good setup for a few years and we moved on again in October of 2019.
Sold both the truck and 5th wheel and went to Class C.

Again the layout was the main selling factor!
dmorgan64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel