Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
Quiroule

Shoks absorbers

I would like to install shocks absorbers on my rig. Is-it worth it. As any of you done it.

Thanks

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:13 AM   #2
geo

I've read a few articles about adding shocks. What most of the articles imply is to add shocks, you just about need to get the axles that have the shock mounts built as part of the axle. The frame of my Alpine has a shock bracket, but the axles do not. I have toyed with the idea of replacing the axles and getting a pair of heavier ones with a shock bracket. What I have concluded is getting new tires that are higher in Load Range (more ply) and higher in Load Index. In this manner, referring to the inflation table, I can run the same present inflation (80psi) with a higher rated tire, but the result will be a smoother ride for the Alpine.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
Quiroule

A local hitch dealer sells specially made plates which go on the springs brackets. If it’s worth it, I would use those and bolt the shocks on the side of the frame.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
Jay D

If you look at the racing industry they make mounts that bolt around the axles for shocks, 3rd links etc.. Check out capital motorsports (www.cmwraceparts.com) , speedway motors ( www.speedwaymotors.com) , Jegs racing (www.jegs.com), summit racing (www.summitracing.com) might have something. They hold really well on the race car. Jay
Old 05-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
deadeye

Check out this site for a retrofit kit

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/cgi-bi...ml?id=FkpmkeyY
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
Quiroule

I am very interested by this kit. But I am concerned about the fitting.

The frame of my rig is an I beam and there is only 1 7/8 inches between the lip of the I beam and the tire. The lip itself is ¾ of an inch deep to the vertical part of the beam.

I could not find how much space is needed for this installation. The underside of the trailer between the beams is enclosed and I would rather not cut hole in it.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Old 05-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #7
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiroule View Post
I am very interested by this kit. But I am concerned about the fitting.

The frame of my rig is an I beam and there is only 1 7/8 inches between the lip of the I beam and the tire. The lip itself is ¾ of an inch deep to the vertical part of the beam.

I could not find how much space is needed for this installation. The underside of the trailer between the beams is enclosed and I would rather not cut hole in it.
Besides, Quiroule, you wouldn't gain anything by cutting a hole in the coroplast. You wouldn't find more space on the other side of the I-beam, though you would be further from the tires. Usually balanced across the axles is the Fresh Water Tank. If you have a "50 gallon" (Imperial units) tank, there is probably more room for the shocks outside than inside the I-beams!

Note: Keystone adds the water in the hot water tank and Pex piping to the "Fresh Water Capacity" figure. My Alpine has a 50 gallon tank, 12 gallon HW heater, and probably 4 gallons in all the Pex for a rating of 66 gallons.

Because the Fresh Water tank occupies so much volume above the axles, you probalby will also find flexible heater ducts crammed between the coroplast and the edges of the Fresh Water tank. Drop over to the Mods section and find my Part 3 posts on installing Tank Heaters. There are some pictures there that might give you an idea of what you might see under the coroplast. Admittedly, we have different models and units.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Quiroule -
Instead of cutting a hole into the underbelly enclosure, you might try removing several of the sheet metal screws that hold the black plastic Coroplast enclosure in place. Just remove enough screws so you can drop the Coroplast down sufficiently to allow you to take those measurements should you be considering placing the shocks on the inside of the beam.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
Quiroule

OPs...

I have 2 7/8 inches, not 1 7/8, between the lip of the I beam and the tire. But I still wonder how much space is needed for the kit. But I think that it would be enough.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Old 05-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
Quiroule

I removed the plastic Coroplast and there is sufficient space on all axels to put the required nuts behind.

The only question remaining is if I have enough space with 2 7/8 inches between the tire and the frame to install the shock using the RB512 kit from this site:

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/mon_retrokit.cfm

Has any of you used this kit before?

Thanks

2018 Ford F150 XLT