Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2020, 02:40 PM   #1
ljp

Tires

We have a new parking area for our trailer and it needs to be leveled.

With the trailer leveled using the jacks, the tires on one side sit just above the ground. Will this present any problems as they are not sitting completely on the ground for now?[/U]

Thanks again.....
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:25 PM   #2
Customer1

In another post you ask about repairing a bent jack. Are you lifting the trailer using the stabilizers? If so, that is a big no, no.

You level the trailer side to side by putting boards or something else under the tires.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:45 PM   #3
notanlines

Leonard, what Customer said is on the money. You absolutely cannot use your stabilizer jacks to level the trailer. 2x8's under the wheels on the appropriate side and the jack in the front. Tires should never be off the ground, and not much pressure should be used to stabilize the RV. The jacks are not very strong.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:46 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^this would be my question as well. It shows you have a 13 Passport 195RB which would have manual stabilizers as best I recall. In that scenario you should be leveling the trailer with wood/plastic blocks or something like Andersen levelers. Unless you are lifting the trailer with some sort of jack system?? The other post about the bent stabilizer sounds like you may be using the stabilizers as jacks which they aren't meant to be.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:30 PM   #5
ljp

Hello to all -

I did place the leveler/scissor jack on a block to lift and help level the trailer. The leveler/jack is not bent, only a slight bend in the long threaded screw rod. I'll be moving the trailer and leveling it properly so all tires are on the ground. Will only use the leveler/jack to stabilize the trailer.

If I can't find a screw rod I'll replace and upgrade the leveler/jacks.

Thank you.....
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:37 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljp View Post
Hello to all -

I did place the leveler/scissor jack on a block to lift and help level the trailer. The leveler/jack is not bent, only a slight bend in the long threaded screw rod. I'll be moving the trailer and leveling it properly so all tires are on the ground. Will only use the leveler/jack to stabilize the trailer.

Thank you.....
You need to place the blocks under the tires to lift the entire side of the trailer. Your jacks are NOT leveling jacks they are "stabilization jacks" they are not strong enough to support the weight of your trailer. Their sole purpose is to prevent bouncing (stabilization) of the corner of the trailer on which they are mounted.

It's no wonder you bent the screw rod. I'd check the stabilizer jacks carefully, you may also have bent the scissors frame and/or the mounting plate.

I'd guess the screw rod is a "weakest link" and it bent (hopefully) before the jack frame bent. But...…

The way to "level your trailer" is to place blocks under the tires on the low side, get the trailer level, then lower the stabilizer jacks to keep it from bouncing when you walk inside. Those jacks are not strong enough to level the trailer and I'd be surprised if you didn't damage the frame rails/jack support/mounting brackets if you've been lifting the entire side of the trailer high enough so the tires "clear the ground" while supported "only by those stabilizer jacks....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 05:31 AM   #7
skids

I do not advocate the use of stabilizer jacks for anything except that purpose. That said, when under load, the long span of the threaded rod would be under tension rather than compression. I would think it unlikely that the threaded rod would bend under loading conditions. I am not saying it is impossible...if it is bent, it is bent. Perhaps the frame of it did not stay straight under load?
Old 04-16-2020, 04:08 PM   #8
Customer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljp View Post
Hello to all -

Thank you.....
You're still calling them levelers, they are stabilizers. The stabilizing jacks are only used to reduce trailer movement when people are moving around inside.

Tags
tires