Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2019, 11:07 AM   #1
Tgdr

Tow HELP Really greennn

So we bought 2017 ford f-150 lariat with tow pacakge... do we also need seperate sway bar attached to 24ft trailer???
Tgdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:12 AM   #2
slow

Welcome to the forum.

If you have not purchased a WD setup yet, you should buy an Equalizer 4 point (not 2P) with integrated sway control. It is a favourite of many on this forum. Here is more info: https://www.equalizerhitch.com/store/hitches

Post additional details about your TV and TT and I am sure you will receive lots of "advice".
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:14 PM   #3
travelin texans

You ABSOLUTELY need a good weight distributing hitch (WDH) including sway regardless of what truck or tt you bought. If either truck or rv dealer told you otherwise they are full of crap!!!
If you heard from either dealer "that truck will tow that trailer just fine, you'll never know it's back there!" you might want to post some numbers on here to verify, most times they don't know/don't care as long as you buy.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:27 PM   #4
Logan X

I agree with the equalizer weight distribution hitch with 4 point sway control. Check your numbers to make sure you aren’t overweight on your payload or gross combined weight. If you don’t know what those numbers are let us know and we can help. A 24 foot trailer is probably right at the limit for an F150. Make sure you have an integrated trailer brake controller in your truck.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:31 PM   #5
OMW2SKI

Yes, definitely get a WD hitch. I'm happy with my Fastway E2 but regret not spending a little more for the Equalizer 4 point. IMHO, 1/2 ton with 24 foot TT (exactly what I have) you need all of the following: WD hitch, brake controller, towing mirrors, rear suspension enhancement of some sort, LT tires on truck and good trailer tires. I use AirLift 1000 bags, but that's not an option since you have rear leaf springs. I also upgraded my rear anti-sway bar.

I'm.close to my payload capacity but lots of room in all the other areas.

More details on the truck and trailer?
OMW2SKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:38 AM   #6
Retired Copper

Yes by all means, like the posts above, don`t leave home without it. With todays road conditions, traffic and distracted drivers one needs all the help one can get. The F150 sure rides nice if you like that car like feeling. If you have a hitch in the receiver go to the back of the truck and push on it with your foot. Mine was like a bowl of jello until the Lt. tires and Bilstein shocks stiffen her up. I pulled the current trailer with the same truck with the e2 and the e4. The e2 ain`t even in the same ball park with the e4.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:27 AM   #7
Tgdr

Wow thanks Hubby and I gaining a lot of knownledge.. Will def be back on here with a million questions before our first venture��
Tgdr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow