Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2019, 02:27 PM   #1
busterbrown

Dometic Fridge problems

I was prepping our Dometic fridge yesterday for an upcoming trip. Had the RV plugged into shore. It began cooling as usually in "auto" mode. This morning, the fridge reached proper temps in both compartments.

this afternoon, I unplugged shore power for a few hours as I worked on installing an DC inverter. I did not have the LPG supply on.

I replugged back into shore power. I turned the fridge off and then back on. After a brief 2 second pause, the "check" status illuminates. It does in both "auto" mode and "gas' only mode.

Am I missing something? Neither cooling option is working. We leave tomorrow and I'm baffled. Help is extremely appreciated.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:40 PM   #2
busterbrown

I'm wondering if it's a low voltage thing. Battery bank says only 12.3 volts after testing my inverter install with electric heaters. Right now, it's back on shore power and the converter is charging.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:19 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

It's probably in "lockout" from the failed gas ignition attempts. Sometimes it takes several minutes for the control board to realize "OOPS, the off button was pushed" before it will reset. Alternatively, you can turn it off, unplug it (from the outside vent stack) open the refrigerator so it will warm up enough to call for cooling, then plug it back in, turn it on and it should "fire up" in gas mode. Once it's operating on gas mode, switch back to AUTO and it should work normally on 120 VAC.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It's probably in "lockout" from the failed gas ignition attempts. Sometimes it takes several minutes for the control board to realize "OOPS, the off button was pushed" before it will reset. Alternatively, you can turn it off, unplug it (from the outside vent stack) open the refrigerator so it will warm up enough to call for cooling, then plug it back in, turn it on and it should "fire up" in gas mode. Once it's operating on gas mode, switch back to AUTO and it should work normally on 120 VAC.
Thanks John. It's been about 4 hours since plugged into shore power. Batteries are charged 100%. Took off the rear access panel. Unplugged AC cord and checked voltage. 120ACV. Checked DC volts. 13.5DCV. Still no go. Doing the same on both gas and auto mode. 2 second delay before the "check" activates and the fridge interior light goes off. The fridge goes into shut down mode it seems. I check the fuse on the control panel that's accessible from that exterior panel. Looks good.

I'm completely at a loss. I wonder if the failed ignition cycles killed that control board...

Old 03-20-2019, 05:53 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

It's possible, but I'd guess it's more a stuck relay from the gas lockout.

There "should be" two fuses on the control board (under the black plastic cover) One is a 5 amp and one is a 3 amp. I can never remember which is which, but one is for AC operation and the other is DC operation. I've been "fooled" more than once by a glass cartridge fuse that looks good, but actually opened under the metal contact cap. So, make sure they are good, either with a test lamp or an ohmmeter.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-20-2019, 05:59 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

A second thought: (more like a reassurance)... If the refrigerator was working OK, then stopped after a failed attempt at gas ignition, I'd almost bet it's OK, just some "lockout device" that's sticking or stubborn... I'd let it sit overnight and try again in the morning. Remember that in the morning, if it's close to freezing, it will start, but may not cool efficiently until it warms up to about 40F or so. Often times, there's just not enough heat being produced by the small flame/electric heater to boil the refrigerant when it's that cold, so it won't "perk" and therefore, won't cool.... But, in the morning, hopefully it'll fire right up after purging the air from the lines and you have a good, clean gas flow to the burner.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-20-2019, 06:00 PM   #7
busterbrown

This is the control board in my unit:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dometic Control Board.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	20951
There is only one glass fuse that I did happen to check connectivity (unless I'm missing something or it's elsewhere in the back access panel. In my research tonight, there are older boards that had two fuses on that board.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's a photo of the control board. I'd guess you checked the fuse in the center. Did you miss/overlook the one that's on the far left, under that white plastic plug??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DOMETIC REFRIGERATOR CONTROL BOARD.jpg
Views:	1595
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	20952  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-20-2019, 06:23 PM   #9
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Here's a photo of the control board. I'd guess you checked the fuse in the center. Did you miss/overlook the one that's on the far left, under that white plastic plug??
That control board isn't for my model fridge. I have a 2652RBX. The board I have is a replacement for older models (from what I'm reading).

Old 03-20-2019, 07:05 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Chuckster will know more than me about "board reliability" but I don't have a lot of faith in the Dometic replacement for the older "two fuse boards". If it were me and it didn't start tomorrow morning after sitting disconnected overnight, I'd replace it with a Dinosaur board. They can get you one delivered in a couple days, so it will be in SE MI by Friday.

If you do decide to get a Dinosaur board, give them a call, DON'T just order the replacement. There are three boards for the "black plastic cover refrigerator systems" and those starting with 293 are "universal" but those boards starting with 385 are not interchangeable, so it's best to give them a call, know your board part number and let them ship you the correct board.

Pricing is "fairly comparable" with the Dometic OEM board and quality is "hands down better".

One question: When you unplugged everything and then started the refrigerator again, did you hear the ignition system clicking when you selected gas operation?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-21-2019, 03:58 PM   #11
busterbrown

Thanks for all your input John.

You're right about Dinosaur Electronics providing better circuitry. I've read it several times elsewhere. Unfortunately, it would have taken 5-7 days to have one shipped to me. Couldn't wait so I ended up sourcing an OEM board from Camping World in Indianapolis. I swapped them out in their parking lot and fired up the fridge. No "check" light on LPG. I'll assume 120VAC will be working as well.

Dometic CS already sent me reimbursement forms for the cost of the new board. No spoiled vacation...just a hiccup.

Thanks again.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:06 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

GREAT NEWS !!!!! I didn't realize you were already on the road headed west. Safe travels, we'll be following you in about 2 weeks and looking forward to dragging the Slingshot behind the fifth wheel headed toward the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas. Who knows where we'll wind up, but that's the general direction.

Enjoy your trip and let's hope this was your only issue for the rest of the journey.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
dometic, fridge