Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2017, 03:08 PM   #1
Kcorp

Residential fridge power loss

I've noticed that my Samsung fridge in my 2017 Montana loses power when both of the ac's and their compressors are on, and this happens after about 15 to 20 minutes. I've confirmed this is what causes it because after the fridge loses power I could then keep a door open and turn off either ac and watch it come to life just as soon as the compressor kicks off. In addition to this anomaly, my microwave also took like 4 minutes to cook a breakfast sandwhich the other day when a buddy of mine came over when the air was down to 66 with both the units on. They had to of both been running with the compressors on. So it may be related but I'm not entirely sure. One more thing, I did disconnected the power and test the outlet in the park itself and if your electrical savvy this is what I found out: either hot pole when checked between it and the neutral reads 120 volts, which is from what I understand normal. Now if you connect the two hot poles you should read 220 to 240 volts, from what I understand, but my meter reads 0 volts. I know it's set up right and that I am touching the contacts.

I called Keystone earlier today and they said either I'm using an extension cord or that I'm not getting enough power, and that it would have to be voltage not amperage since I'm not popping and breakers or fuses, which I forgot to mention I'm not. They said if it's not that then... well they described it as weird and it would definitely need to go to a shop so someone could figure it out.
Kcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:20 PM   #2
Kcorp

I think I found my answer. The outlet is wired incorrectly, it should read 240v between the two hot poles, and it doesn't because the outlet is spliced into one line coming from a transformer instead of two like it ought to be. The bad thing is I went and checked an empty slot with a 50 amp hookup and it read the same thing! The whole park must be wired wrong! I guess the owner will have to fix it or me and my buddies are gonna have drag up!

It might be a good idea to sticky note this thread as a friendly reminder to check the outlet before you plug in.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:07 PM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Be careful. RV 240 is wired different from home 240.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:24 PM   #4
gearhead

I think before your next trip you may want a Progressive Industries electrical management box.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/c...FRKUfgodkZQI2g
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:40 PM   #5
Jeepshots

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I think before your next trip you may want a Progressive Industries electrical management box.
^^^^ +1 on this!!!
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:52 PM   #6
Kcorp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I'm definitely going to be getting a surge protector now for sure. Thanks for the link!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:58 PM   #7
Kcorp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Be careful. RV 240 is wired different from home 240.

I read somewhere that there is no 3-phase power outlets in households. I guess if that's the case the outlets must be wired like this one... I'm not sure on that really.

This page really describes the situation much more perfectly than I could http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/testing.htm
Old 06-24-2017, 03:58 AM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Sounds like you had good advice. I've read about some who have burned their RV up and just didn't want you to be one of them. I hate statistics. You're on the right path with an EMS.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 04:51 AM   #9
Thundershorts

[QUOTE=Kcorp;244453]I think I found my answer. The outlet is wired incorrectly, it should read 240v between the two hot poles, and it doesn't because the outlet is spliced into one line coming from a transformer instead of two like it ought to be.

If you put your leads from you multi meter on both the hot poles, and both poles are supplying 120 VAC, tour multi meter will read zero. The multi meter reads the potential difference between the two leads, so if both poles are 120, then your reading is zero.
I agree with the other posts, a surge protector is a must.
Thundershorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:16 AM   #10
notanlines

"I guess the owner will have to fix it or me and my buddies are gonna have to drag up"
Most RV park owners have a history of fixing only the things that will make them money in the long run. If this being wired wrong has worked for them a number of years you will be out of luck. They won't fix it!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:53 AM   #11
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Residential fridge power loss

While zero volt between the two hots is incorrect (should be 240), an EMS would find no problem with this. When you use a dogbone to connect your 50 amp rig to a 30 amp pedestal, both legs in your 50 amp camper are tied together (in the dogbone ) and draw from the single leg in the pedestal.

The only risk of a 50 amp service drawing from the same leg is that you can overload the neutral. When wired correctly, the neutral in a 50 amp service only carries the unbalanced load between the two hots. This means the neutral will never exceed 50 amps, which is what it is sized for. If the two hots are drawing from the same leg, the neutral could see as much as 100 amps. In addition, the single leg in the park could also see that... unless it is protected by a 50 amp breaker upstream. If it is protected by a 50 amp breaker upstream, then you are OK... however you will only receive half of your service (50 amps instead of 100).

Although incorrect, there is nothing "bad" other than the potential overloading I was talking about. Your stuff should run OK.

Now, if they screwed up that wiring, who know what else they have done. If everything is undersized and running a long distance, you could have low voltage issues. An EMS would protect you from that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:31 PM   #12
Kcorp

So I told the campground owner about the problem this morning and he actually had an electrian come out today to check it. Even had him wait til I got off my 12 hour shift. So what he found is that I was right, that the outlet isn't supplying 240 volts like it should be it's only supplying 120. It is supplying 50 amps. The transformer that supplies the power for the campground has breakers that go to each row of 3 campers. Basically in my small section of the park, two breakers on the transformer are supplying 240v like they should be. However none of the campers in my section are getting it. So he determined that somewhere along the electrical line it was spliced or modified in such a way that we're not receiving 240 volts. So tomorrow he's gonna come out and dig up the lines and fix it. So I don't need to drag up the campground lol and it solves my original issue that I made this post for. I'll take you guys up on getting that surge protector because now I see how important it is to monitor and check your incoming shore power. Thanks guys.

Tags
fridge, power