Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
BirchyBoy

My Blue Ox SwayPro broke :(

I brought my trailer to my house today for some maintenance and TV mount upgrades. After I had unhitched and pulled my truck into the driveway, I noticed that my Blue Ox was missing a key piece. The rivet that holds the spring bar retention pin had popped out. All of the assorted pieces are in my driveway - the pin, two thin pieces of metal and the rivet. Now, I get to call Blue Ox and test their warranty service.

I can't move my trailer because my hitch isn't rated for the tonque weight without the weight distribution bars. Hopefully, my HOA won't put up too much of a fuss. I am glad that the hitch broke in my driveway and not while driving. After reviewing the assembly, that is a critical piece that doesn't see to be well engineered. I have been wanting to go back to an Equalizer hitch, and this just may be what makes me do that.

'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:37 AM   #2
66joej

Don't if I could say it was good luck. But better than out on the open road at 65 mph. Hope Blue Ox rectifies this poor design if that is what it is.
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:41 AM   #3
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Don't if I could say it was good luck. But better than out on the open road at 65 mph. Hope Blue Ox rectifies this poor design if that is what it is.
I just read their warranty and it says that it needs to be registered within 30 days of purchase (nope) and that I have to send the defective part back to them (nope). I'll let them respond, but its days may be numbered. I've got a trip to Key West planned on the 31st.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 12-18-2016, 09:57 AM   #4
xrated

I've got a Blue Ox pro and in my personal opinion, with the spring bar firmly in place in the socket..AND your chains hooked up (applied tension), there is no way in the world that the spring bar could come out of the socket/receptacle that they are in. To me, the spring loaded retainer is there for keeping the spring bar from falling out when the tension is released and the spring bars are just hanging free. YMMV and again, this is just my opinion. Honestly, I wouldn't be afraid to hook it up and tow it .
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:48 AM   #5
BirchyBoy

I've been thinking of what I could do if on a trip. I think I might get a hose clamp and run it over the pin.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:53 PM   #6
JoePK

Blue Ox

Hello, I lost one of mine and called Blue Ox, and they were really helpful and sent the missing pieces fast and no charge. I would call them tomorrow and talk to someone. I can't see the spring bar coming out either with it hooked up either. It's being pushed back when hooked up. It should be fine to move it without the clip unless you have to make a really tight turn. Blue Ox (402) 385-3051 Also, looks like places like Etrailer have them to buy them too for around $15.
Hope this helps,
Joe
Old 12-18-2016, 07:16 PM   #7
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePK View Post
Hello, I lost one of mine and called Blue Ox, and they were really helpful and sent the missing pieces fast and no charge. I would call them tomorrow and talk to someone. I can't see the spring bar coming out either with it hooked up either. It's being pushed back when hooked up. It should be fine to move it without the clip unless you have to make a really tight turn. Blue Ox (402) 385-3051 Also, looks like places like Etrailer have them to buy them too for around $15.
Hope this helps,
Joe
Thank you. I didn't realize until now that was a "user serviceable" part!
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 12-18-2016, 09:10 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
I brought my trailer to my house today for some maintenance and TV mount upgrades. After I had unhitched and pulled my truck into the driveway, I noticed that my Blue Ox was missing a key piece. The rivet that holds the spring bar retention pin had popped out. All of the assorted pieces are in my driveway - the pin, two thin pieces of metal and the rivet. Now, I get to call Blue Ox and test their warranty service.

I can't move my trailer because my hitch isn't rated for the tonque weight without the weight distribution bars. Hopefully, my HOA won't put up too much of a fuss. I am glad that the hitch broke in my driveway and not while driving. After reviewing the assembly, that is a critical piece that doesn't see to be well engineered. I have been wanting to go back to an Equalizer hitch, and this just may be what makes me do that.

Not too late to go back to the Equalizer I've had a few WDH in my life and the Equalizer is the best for the money.....IMO (I realize that all opinions mean nothing to anyone other than the opinionated....)
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:29 AM   #9
BirchyBoy

Customer service emailed me last night and they are mailing a replacement kit. I am pleasantly surprised!
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 12-19-2016, 03:31 AM   #10
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Not too late to go back to the Equalizer I've had a few WDH in my life and the Equalizer is the best for the money.....IMO (I realize that all opinions mean nothing to anyone other than the opinionated....)
You're right. I may call a few local CW's to see if they have one, then put the BO up for sale.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:44 AM   #11
xrated

Just a suggestion, for what it's worth, once you get the replacement part from B.O. and get it installed, you could always put a Velcro strap around the "button" while travelling. It would help secure it AND it's easier on and off than a hose clamp. I like my B.O., but I've also changed out the pull ups with a set of the StrapTek winch type straps. No more chains for me.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:06 AM   #12
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Just a suggestion, for what it's worth, once you get the replacement part from B.O. and get it installed, you could always put a Velcro strap around the "button" while travelling. It would help secure it AND it's easier on and off than a hose clamp. I like my B.O., but I've also changed out the pull ups with a set of the StrapTek winch type straps. No more chains for me.
Thanks for the idea. I am considering that system; I think you mentioned it elsewhere. I do like the noise-free design of the BO, just not the chain mechanism.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 12-19-2016, 04:31 AM   #13
xrated

Quote:
Thanks for the idea. I am considering that system; I think you mentioned it elsewhere. I do like the noise-free design of the BO, just not the chain mechanism.
I hooked up my trailer this past weekend two different times (I had a guy come out and extend my gravel landing pad) and I still can't believe how much easier it is with the StrapTek system..vs..the B.O. pull ups and chains. And you're right, I did start a separate thread on my StrapTek mods.

And remember, backing up is no issue with the B.O. system....no removal before backing.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:51 PM   #14
SamI

I had the exact same thing happen to me. I called blue ox and they sent me a brand new one. They said they had a bad batch go out the production line. Mine was a year. Old.
SamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:47 PM   #15
BirchyBoy

Quote:
I ordered the StrapTek system and it was delivered today. Only problem is that there is only a single unit in the box, not two Now, I get to contact Amazon.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 12-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #16
xrated

For cryin' outloud.....only one in the box.....they are sold in pairs for sure.....wonder what happened to the other one?

Old 12-22-2016, 06:58 AM   #17
BirchyBoy

Quote:
For cryin' outloud.....only one in the box.....they are sold in pairs for sure.....wonder what happened to the other one?
Good question. The adhesive seal on the box was good, so it was likely just a mistake at Lippert. I called them to no avail. They would only help had I bought directly.

I then called Amazon. Due to a quirk in their system, they cannot ship a replacement because their system shows that it hasn't been shipped yet. It had a tracking number yesterday, and I received the package, but somehow the tracking number evaporated. The short story is that they gave me a return label and they're going to issue a refund. I'm not going to order another set until I'll have more time to install and test it. That was supposed to happen this weekend, but yeah, bah humbug!
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 12-22-2016, 08:08 AM   #18
xrated

Quote:
Good question. The adhesive seal on the box was good, so it was likely just a mistake at Lippert. I called them to no avail. They would only help had I bought directly.

I then called Amazon. Due to a quirk in their system, they cannot ship a replacement because their system shows that it hasn't been shipped yet. It had a tracking number yesterday, and I received the package, but somehow the tracking number evaporated. The short story is that they gave me a return label and they're going to issue a refund. I'm not going to order another set until I'll have more time to install and test it. That was supposed to happen this weekend, but yeah, bah humbug!
Sorry to hear about your issues with Amazon....but the good news is that they are usually very easy to deal with on mistakes/wrong items/etc. I guess unless you were planning on using the trailer this weekend, it can realistically wait until the new ones arrive. They say that you develop more patience as you get older.......and with somethings, I am more patient........with others.......not so much. Hang in there and just think about how great they'll be once you get them and get them installed.
Have a great Christmas.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:10 AM   #19
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your issues with Amazon....but the good news is that they are usually very easy to deal with on mistakes/wrong items/etc. I guess unless you were planning on using the trailer this weekend, it can realistically wait until the new ones arrive. They say that you develop more patience as you get older.......and with somethings, I am more patient........with others.......not so much. Hang in there and just think about how great they'll be once you get them and get them installed.
Have a great Christmas.
I'm too old to be patient. By the time I deal with being patient for a resolution I could be on the wrong side of grass. So, if available locally I just buy it.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote